Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Project Clockwork vII

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Project Clockwork vII

Oooooooo... I love the bottom right, #4bc-132, those are very cool.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Yeah I like the bottom right as well.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    What do these look like?
    Sorry, I missed this the first time. I'm thinking like these (only smaller):

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:h..._dial_Yale.jpg
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

A friend of mine suggested these:

They're *perfect*, but I can't figure out the size. It's an HO scale Ajax brake wheel from a model train setup. HO scale looks to be 1:87 (correct me if I'm wrong), anyone know how big an actual brake wheel is/was?

Post office box combination knobs!!! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.

HO scale is tiny. G Scale is what you want.

http://modelrailwaystation.com/model-train-scale/

Those wheels are about 16" inches (varies depending on train) in size so G-scale (assuming 1:24) would be 2/3". Still pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Post office box combination knobs!!! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years.
    , I've got a couple doors in the modder closet that you're welcome to. Unfortunately the knobs are aluminum. I can grab photos if you're interested.

Like this http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Vintage-Pos...item4ceef1923f

I'd love to see some photos, when you get time.

You don't know what I would give to see the entirety of your "modder closet".

Default Yet another design change

Yes, I've changed it again. I've decided to use just one DVD drive, that's really all I need anyway and it frees up a lot of room. I decided to run two fan controllers on it, for all the fans and also speed control for the geartrains.

I made a mistake on the rear panel. Since I would have to build a new panel for that, and also a new panel for the front due to the changes, *and* since I plan to rebuild the left side panel also (just not satisfied with it), I decided to build a whole new case. I was worried about space and this was a good opportunity to make some. Here are a couple of comparison shots to show how much bigger the new case is than the old:

Quite a bit more room, but I still managed to keep it with a reasonable footprint, unlike my last creation.

I also, for one of the few times in my life, have bowed to function over form. I decided against the custom water-cooling loop I had in mind, which was to be made of solid acrylic tube and copper elbows. It would have been very cool, but parts fail, far too often, and I really wouldn't want to take it apart. So the whole build has now taken on practicality as an imperitive. Hardware should be easy to access and easy to replace if needed. I'm going to have to take a whole different approach to the build.

So anyway, pics of the update. The new front panel is almost done:

I kept the bubble tubes in the same spot, but the rest is new. I moved the single DVD drive to the right, and will stealth the door in an industrial style. The fan controllers are to the left, and I have to find better knobs for them.

When I started this I planned to have a pair of gears linked to the hard drive activity leads on the motherboard so they spun when the drive spun. That idea didn't work, as any motor I found with a decent response time drew *way* too many amps for those leads. That's where the gauge below the DVD drive comes in. I'll have to do another writeup on that when it's done, but the front that's mounted there is from an old voltmeter I found at a flea market.

The switch on the left is the power switch. Here's the back:

It's not a momentary switch, but it is a three-position switch. I'll just hook the power leads to the two prongs on the switch that close in the middle position. That way to turn the machine off or on I just turn the knob fully from one side to the other. Cross the middle position on the way and it acts as a momentary switch. The feel of the switch is perfect, but I have to make a baseplate for it with some writing of some kind.

I've gotten the holes cut for the front inputs, two USB and one eSATA.

When I'm done there will be two magnets inset into the wood, one on either side of the ports. When not in use, this beautiful brass gear has an iron back plate on it, and will stick to the magnets to cover the ports. The stem on the gear even works very well as a handle.

On to the inside:

In place of the custom water loop I've decided to use a Corsair H50 closed-loop water cooler. Cosmetically it's wonderful, and with the addition of some paint and a few well-placed doodads it will be absolutely perfect.

The fan controllers are visible there, as well as the DVD drive. What you're seeing in the pic is an acrylic drive box that I made for it, so that I can paint it and make it fit the theme, but if the drive fails I just have to replace the drive, and not worry about having to paint anything again. Practicality.

That's about it for now. VGA cooling is next I think. The cooler I have is great, but it doesn't have any sort of ducting to either draw in ambient air or to expel the hot air, so I'm going to try to route fresh air from outside the case straight through the cooling fins, with no chance for it to go anywhere else first. I'll be using this little crossflow fan:

That's it for now, more news as it happens.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks great, I love the new front panel!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV