Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Project Clockwork vII

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project Clockwork vII

I really like how you staggered the fan controllers, you get a great effect on the front panel. I also like your cover for the USB and e-SATA port, excellent work.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default ?

Just another parts question for the masses. Anyone know where I can find more of these?

It's a faceted lens for a light bulb, only about 1/2" in diameter. My Google Fu has failed me. I got this one off an old electronic test board of some kind I found at a flea market, but there's nothing else there that has them.

Edit: Correction, I had the source of this item confused. I got this from a friend who acquired it from an aircraft boneyard.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 05-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Sorry my friend, I haven't been able to find anything like that off the shelf either but I have thought up a way for you to make something similar yourself.

We all know you can get surface mounts for LEDs right. So why not combine THIS with THIS and possibly make your own? Of course they will be smaller in size but could possibly save you a headache. If you use a white LED and frost the bulb with some sand paper you could get a nice glow.

You could also try making holders from scratch from some plexi or alu, you could still use the jewels to get your desired colour and shape.

Default :)

That is outstanding! I can adapt that idea to many things, including one that I was still puzzling over. Some engineer at MSI really loves his lights, and decided it would be a good idea to embed a ludicrously bright blue LED into the upper portion of this motherboard that flashes like a HDD activity light. I've been wondering how to deal with it, and these plastic jewels are just the thing. If I put a light red one over it, that should turn this annoyingly bright blue LED into a nice dim purple, and look old to match the theme.

Edit: I have since realized that this won't work, as I won't be mixing blue and red light, but instead filtering blue light to the red wavelength. It will be red. And that's all right.

Not I have to figure out how to give plastic a patina.

Thanks!

Edit: Modder's intuition tells me that Mach has a drawer somewhere dedicated to nothing but these lenses. In several sizes and colors.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 05-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

lol

The green ones are glass dots from 1950s cars. They were apparently used as insert for tail lights and come in all sorts of colors. The rest came from a local electronics surplus store. I can check for a particular color if you're interested. Note dime for scale.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=tai...286.m270.l1313

Here's the gas lamp pipes that I was telling you about. They're a little bit bigger than 1/4" thick and about 8 to 10 inches long.

Here's an auction to give you an idea of the different shapes that you can find.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Ornate-Antique-V...item483a944572

Not a problem, glad I could help . I am very interested in how this all turns out.

Ooooooo, the pipes are beautfiul! I'll have to think on how I could utilize something like that.

On the lenses, if you can find any purple ones please let me know, the smaller the better. Appreciate it!

I did some digging and came up with these. They are Fender Amp panel indicators.

Red -

http://www.newoldsounds.com/index.ph...roducts_id=146

Violet -

http://www.newoldsounds.com/index.ph...roducts_id=151

They come in all kinds of colors including clear.

Not a bad price either. Hope this is what your looking for.

Absolutely perfect! THANKS!!!!

Fresh Paint

That.
    Is.
    So.
    Cool!