Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Tear Me Down, Respect the Veterans.

Default Don't Tear Me Down, Respect the Veterans.

I am not sure if this had been posted here before or not but it is definitely something worth mentioning especially since there are a few servicemen and vets around here. Essentially the ACLU wants to tear down a single white cross out in the middle of the Mojave Desert. This cross was erected by soldiers that were mustering out and were recovering from the damages of war, to memorialize all those lost in war.

Don't Tear Me Down
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Default Re: Don't Tear Me Down, Respect the Veterans.

I'm sorry.. eff the ACLU!

They outlived there usefulness a LONG LONG time ago, don't apologize.
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Did the American Criminal Liberties Union ever have any usefulness to begin with?
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    Did the American Criminal Liberties Union ever have any usefulness to begin with?
    I think for a very brief moment before Jesse Jackson and the other bigoted racist got involved.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Wait, why exactly does the ACLU want to tear this down?

Any group, though, regardless of reasoning, that wants to take down a memorial to fallen soldiers, has gone too far. The people for whom the memorials stand, the people who fought and died, did so to help protect our country's freedom.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

They want to take it down because it bothers all the non-Christian faith religious peoples that happen out into the middle of the desert. Literally the middle of the effing desert. The other thing is somebody is giving them funding to get results. While your thinking about what the ACLU is doing here, they were on the scene almost as soon as the police were to arrest Professor Gates. Not accusing anybody of anything on the second one, just stating facts.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

So in other words they want to remove a symbol for one thing that they "feel" stands to much for another symbol because some other people who have they're own symbols that can be displayed anywhere in this country, other then public or government buildings of course. And those rights to show and display those symbols were defended by the very men who raised that memorial in the first place, out in the middle of nowhere.

And now people like the ACLU want to take that down and can hide behind the very right that those men died fighting for? If the baby wasn't sleeping right next to me right now I'd be a little more vocal around my house and I'm the only one home. To bad the government won't let us sign those petitions to have people like the ACLU disbanded. I know thats terrible but I hate it when people misuse our Bill of Rights to get what they want and &*%&*( everybody else.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Is awesome

The ACLU protects the constitution and everyone's rights. They don't care who you are, if you believe your civil liberties are being infringed upon, and if the ACLU agrees with you, then they will fight for your case. This is not a case of the ACLU being anti-religious, this is a case of the ACLU protecting somebody's freedom of Religion and freedom from religion.

What we need on this story is more information. Is the cross on public land? If the land is owned by the government, no, it is not legal to have the cross there as it symbolizes a single religion, and it can be interpreted as a government endorsement of a single religion if the cross is allowed to stand. This is illegal. It should be not allowed to stand. The rights to NOT have a government sponsored religion are also in the constitution. Don't act like it's legal because its commemorating downed soldiers. It's not. I am not against soldiers, in fact war memorials are a good thing. But the instant it becomes a single religious icon, it becomes religious, and since it is on presumably government land, and only a single religion is represented instead of all of them possible, it is illegal.

If your civil rights were ever violated, you could give the ACLU a call. They would fight for you. It's what they do. The ACLU is a good thing that sometimes does things that are disagreeable in the name of the constitution and civil liberties for all.
    You love my sig.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

I'm an atheist and I still respect crosses...

People make me sick.