Thread: Webhost summarily suspended account

Default Webhost summarily suspended account

I host a number of websites on one hosting platform. One of those sites has some contentious (but true) material on it.

In the past this site has been subject to attempts to remove it from the net by offended parties who do not like the truth being told. They did this by threatening my webhost. They did not succeed as I moved to another more supportive host and I was left in peace for three years.

Last year I moved that site into an existing hosting account. I discussed with the company's legal team the nature of the material, the fact I had been subject to harassment but NO PERSONAL LEGAL CLAIM made against me.

They were very clear, as I had raised this in advance, if they got threatening letters they would discuss the matter with me first before taking action.

This morning I wake up and they have summarily suspended my entire account, having received a threat of legal action from one of the persons harassing me, without notice and failing to take the steps they said they would take under exactly the circumstances we are in now.

The most offensive thing about this is that we renenewed a two year hosting plan three weeks ago and the money for that was donated by members of the community website that is the main site.

The "offending" site could have been suspended or they could - as they agreed in advance, contact me to discuss - but no .. this host suspended my entire account with no written notice, taking the community portal offline.

I am not naming them now as I am in negotiation with them but if they fail to live up to agreed promises I will name them as a warning to others. A company that can't keep it's word is not worth much.

CB

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Webhost summarily suspended account

It was obviously something your hosting company found objectionable or they got a letter from someone with enough power to give them a world of headaches. Both my hosting providers have clauses that allow them to pull the plug on my sites with out notice due to objectionable material. They make the rules and I follow them. That's how life is. They are there for 1 reason and 1 reason only, to make money. If something causes them to lose customers or face litigation and them lose money they will pull the plug in a hear beat.

I know that BUT ..... this issue was specifically raised with them in advance and they agreed to contact me before taking any action if this arose. Moreover they agreed in advance that as I had been attacked via my Host before yet no action taken against me personally that they would side with me, their PAYING customer, and let the issue go to court.

They have broken that agreement.

We know from history that the threatening party will pull back from doing so because I have only written the truth. The last thing he wants is this appearing before a judge.

They have also canned two websites which had nothing to do with this one in the process. Massive overkill and breaking of contractual agreements on their part - not mine.

Looks like I'll be buying another server in Panama if they keep playing chicken instead of growing the balls they said they had in advance.

CB

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Unless you have something in writing from them in the form of a service agreement there is nothing you can do if you agreed to there original terms of service.
    Need a sig

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Unless you have something in writing from them in the form of a service agreement there is nothing you can do if you agreed to there original terms of service.
    Actually just got off the phone with them. In the circumstances their initial view is that I should now sue this person for harassment and they will reinstate the account. Just waiting for their legal eagles to get out of bed.

CB

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I think Paul said it best:

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    I had a toasted cheese sandwich today.
    CB, if you start another thread like this, neg rep me or anyone else, you will be getting a vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream