Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

/\ yea i know what ya mean!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

When examining berserking, the drug theory is compelling. Drugs could be taken before a battle, could cloud judgment, and might result in the unintentional flashbacks or lingering after effects. Considering the physical effects of berserking, it resembled a drug binge more so than anything else suggested.
    Berserking began with shivering, teeth chattering chills. Their faces swelled and changed color followed by a great rage, howling, and indiscriminate brawling. When the rage abated, the berserker was exhausted and feeble for several days.
    Behaviorally, berserking presents as a combination of steroid induced hypo-mania ('roid rage) with an adrenaline rush or possibly PCP. None of which the Vikings were able to artificially produce. So if a drug, then what drug?

-----

With the Cobra-matic mod, I dabbled with laser cutting. At the time, I was fortunate enough to find a laser cutting company in Texas called Vintage Laser. They almost made it too easy to get a special fan grill cut.

Tony Le, the owner at Vintage, walked me through the file formats needed and we went back and forth several times to get everything right. I think the results speak for themselves, no? (that's the fan grill on the front covering an Antec Big boy 200mm fan)

Well no good deed goes unpunished. With Barsarkar-gang, I wanted to experiment more so I sent Tony what I thought was some complex cutting with a brass requirement (of course ). He didn't even flinch. For your viewing pleasure

In case you're wondering, that is 2.3 mm brass...goes through it like bud-ahh.

The basic process initially was to draw everything in Sketchup in 3d.

Then export to Corel Draw X4 in 2D.

Because the size of the case is so small, I printed out the Corel draw file, pasted it to styrene, and checked tolerances. Lather, rinse, repeat.

After numerous iterations (including new batteries for my digital micrometer) and many weeks, I was sure as I could be on all the dimensions, I exported the 2D drawing to DXF files and shipped em off to Vintage Laser.

They hit a couple snags along the way. Lasering brass is not as easy as other metals. Tony joked that he was going to make his body armor out of brass if he was ever in a laser battle.

But he persevered and again, I think the results speak for themselves. Awesome, awesome work!

Fan grill option 1 - I'm leaning toward this one

Fan grill option 2 - What do you think?

Remember the polystyrene bezels?

Now they're brass

Pump bezel, not crazy about the blue in the pump.

Full side shot

Half the screws are for looks only

They don't actually hold anything.

Radiator/fan mount

Motherboard tray

In case you were wondering how they go together. I've got to solder the mount on the back of the motherboard tray yet; more on that later.

I love modding because it gives me a chance to try new tools and techniques. The whole laser experience has given me a new appreciation for the CNC mod gods who make an entire case from scratch. Its not a gumball machine for modding. Its an iterative design and test method that would have been impossible without the help of Tony and the guys at Vintage laser. Tony if you're reading this, thank you very much.

Wherever you land on the hand tools vs power tools modding debate, I highly recommend working some sort of CNC (laser cutting, water cutting, milling, etc) into your next mod. It was a fantastic experience and opening the box of parts from Vintage had me grinning from ear to ear. That's all I got this time around.

Next time, I'll show you how to sand the skin off your thumbs the natural way.

Many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower

HardwareLabs

yeah, laser cutting isnt always as simple as it sounds you have to adjust power etc, otherwise the beam, either wont go trough, or will go though, melting the surrounding material lol! it looks wicked awesome m8! i love the design, and how you are going to fit it all together!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Awesome parts! I love brass for some reason.

As for the fan grills, I vote option 2. They're both beautiful but I like #2 better and it would be less restrictive (and theoretically quieter) also.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks pOPe and Blue! The dimensions are very tight and still some unanswered questions on sizing as well as performance. Now that I have the parts it should go a little faster tho.

Good point on the restriction. I've tried several 140 mm fans to get the quietest one. Be a shame to screw it up with the fan grill. I'm going to experiment with some copper/brass mesh too. Thanks for the feedback!

i dont think you will notice any difference in noise with either of the grills. i vote option 1
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Nearly missed this update , thought it was just more compliments then took a closer look at the email, glad I didn't miss it .
    Wow dude, this is getting more and more epic, I swear I'm consistently being blown away by the quality of mods, the level of quality is just going up & up & up, my head is spinning from it lol .
    I like option 1 of the fan grills best, but they are both really good, must have been exciting opening the box of uber cool parts hehe .

And I didn't know google sketchup could do exports to a format that could be used at a cad fed laser cutters, that is a big part of what put me off going to a laser cutters, needing cad friendly file formats, so now I'm going to see how much of an awesome complex set of panels I can make now, sky's the limit, fantastic .

Mod of the year for 2010 is going to be an absolute nightmare to pick a number 1 .

I can't choose!!! They both look Fantastic!!

Great work, I can't WAIT to see this thing come together!

Thanks guys! More updates on the way.

Hey Waynio, yes SU can do dxf or dwg export but it requires some cleanup. That's what I use Corel draw for. See here
    http://download.sketchup.com/OnlineD...XF)_Export.htm

In 1956,Fabing describes the use of hallucinogenic mushrooms, specifically Amanita Muscariaor or flugswamp mushrooms as the single source of berserking. It was an interesting theory as flugswamp mushrooms were known by the Siberian and Scandinavian peoples but the effects, while mind altering, do not cause a berserking rage, quite the opposite in fact.

A possible alternative may be found in the location where the Vikings spent much of their time; on open water.

Consider this, in 2006, 2 men ate a fish in the south of France. Little did they know that they would be hospitalized the next day because of hallucinations and nightmares. The fish was the Sarpa Salpa. The very same fish was recently found in the English Channel. Could the Vikings have used a similar fish to induce a hallucinogenic rage? Have the experts overlooked the most obvious source of berserking drugs? Did the Vikings find something in the sea?

-----

I am a little ahead of myself on the updates. I forgot to show you guys the final on the fan grills from the last update. Just so you understand where the fan grill is located. It's on the back of the case pulling air into the case which hits the back of the motherboard tray.

To minimize vibration and fan noise, enter a Bitspower silicon fan pad 140mm size.

It's appears to be well made. I'm a little worried that it may be too thick for my needs but more on that later.

Photographing it is interesting; everything sticks to the silicon - lint, sawdust, dust, gah. Here it is from the back.

The HWlabs Black Ice GT Stealth 140 unfinished radiator polished up.

Gasket goes on

Fan goes on. That's a Thermalright X-Silent series 140 mm fan. With a 140mm rad, I've been looking for the right fan that was low power as well as quiet. I picked this one in a very unscientific comparison. So those of you who care about accuracy should look away now.

The 4 fans that looked interesting were (clockwise from the orange fan):
    Xigmatek XLF F1453, 1000 RPM, 63.5 CFM, 16 dBA, 0.3A
    Yate Loon D14SM-12 , 1400 RPM, 62 CFM, 29 dBA, 0.7A
    Yate Loon D14SL-12, 1000 RPM, 46.9 CFM, 25 dBA, 0.5A
    Thermalright X-Silent Fan, 900 RPM, 60.42 CFM, 20.9 dBA, 0.14A

In the looks department, the Xigmatek was first choice with the orange / brass combo but the white LEDS are too bright. The Thermalright was my second choice because of 11 translucent blades. The Yate Loons are ok but not notable when compared to the other two.

On the subject of noise, I setup my video camera to capture the relative noise that each fan puts out. Check it out

I was surprised by sound of the Xigmatek fan. Maybe I've got a bad one but wow, that would drive me nuts. The Thermalright sounded best to me. At the time, I didn't have the D14SL-12 when first comparing but the D14SM -12 sounded very smooth at the higher RPM so I grabbed the 1000 rpm model just to check

Unfortunately, I screwed up the camera position so it sounded comparatively louder than it actually was. The sound on it was very good though; comparable to the Thermalright.

I wanted to also get some relative measurement on performance so out comes a retro piece of kit. Its an anemometer used in mining I am told. While the dial indicates some degree of precision, my interest are simpler.

Fan drag race The two Yate Loons are in the middle with the SL on top. The anemometer was sat 10 inches from the outlet of the fan to gauge relative output speed.

Again I was surprised by the relative performance of the Xigmatek. I was impressed by the Yate Loons. The SL was on par with the Thermalright and the SM just cranked. I'm curious to find out what the SH is like. So as I mentioned, I picked the Thermalright for the reasons above but also because of its lower power consumption.

Anyway back to the grill, remember these screws.

Here's why I modded them when I couldn't buy them anywhere. Had to be brass on brass.

And trust me, I looked.

Most folks seemed to like this fan grill the best so I'm going to run with it for now.

Maybe replace the fan sticker with an etched copper piece later?

I thought about putting some copper or brass screen in to act as a fan filter but I think I like the exposed fan. I may change my mind when I see the dust buildup.

With the brass in hand, I can test fit the components and see if the design is going to work.

Here's where things started to get interesting

See the foot on the motherboard tray. It's sticking out about 3/8" too far and I need that space for the waterblocks and tubing. Did I mention this is going to very tight?

From the front, it lines up ok.

The flow indicator and pump fit ok. Tight but nothing unexpected.

The video card looks like it'll be ok too. Still a little worried about the tubing routing but that's next to check out.

On the back of the case, the fan grill is hitting the frame. It looks like the silicon pad is adding about an 1/8" to the thickness also. A little file action should set the frame right but that'll have to wait.

Next update, I'll get to the natural sandpaper story that I promised.

Many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower

HardwareLabs