Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

Im not normally a big fan of the antique brass style rigs, but this is just too beautiful. i love the look so far!

cooler than the other side of the pillow dfigravity's Avatar

This mod is outstanding...each page brings something new and suprising! Keep up the fantastic work bro! +rep!
    There is no 'ctrl' button on Chuck Norris's computer. Chuck Norris is always in control.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Wow, I finally took the time to get caught up on this (~4 pages), and I continue to be amazed by your amazing work, Mach. It is truly a work of art, and I cannot wait to see the rest.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I was following this on the Hardforums but couldn't comment since you need an offline based email.

Anyway, I think the detail you put even into parts you cant see is astounding, keep it up man!

Thanks for the kind remarks and thanks fractalzero for taking the time to register. Also, Kayin, while I am flattered by the compliments, I'd prefer another chapter in Fatal Optimization but I understand that the Muses can be fickle mistresses.

Sorry for my absence of late. While this is not an update, I did want to let you know that work is underway albeit slowly. I've received a custom PCI-E extender this week that I hope to get some time to test this weekend. Fingers crossed for me that all goes well please.

I'll see what I can hammer out for you. I'm sure there is something in this box...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

And updated. Go get your word crack.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

@Kayin, Heh, heh...better and better still.

In case anyone is wondering what that exchange was about, Kayin is a man of many talents including word smithing: http://fataloptimization.wordpress.com

Appreciate the kind words.

Now back to the modding!

Berserking on demand has staggering potential from a military perspective...at least the American CIA thought so. Between 1945 and 1964, titled with the innocuous names of Operation Paperclip, Artichoke, and MK-Ultra, the CIA contracted 149 projects to investigate chemical, biological and radiological means to alter and control human development. Over 80 institutions participated including 44 universities, 15 private companies, 12 hospitals, and 3 prisons including Eli Lilly & Co., Harvard University, Fontaine Pharmaceuticals, and the Rockefeller Foundation.

Authorized by American President Truman, under the code name of Operation Paperclip in 1945, the US began the quiet recruitment of Nazi scientists after WWII. Initially their focus was on aeronautics with the successful recruitment of key scientists like, Dr. Herbert A. Wagner, an expert in the field of control and guidance systems, and Wernher von Braun, the central figure in Germany's pre-war rocket development program.

But then in 1946, Operations Paperclip's remit fractured into multiple "dark" projects, many specifically targeted at human experimentation.

----

Let's do this thing... You're going to get your money's worth on this update. First and most notably, I have a new sponsor. Galaxy has graciously agreed to sponsor this project with a new 9600 GT LP LP. This card is essential to this build so many thanks to Galaxy and Shane!

Second, I've been fairly cagey about the case but since you got a glimpse of it in the video, let me give you the full run down.

Its a 1940s Arvin space heater manufactured by Noblitt-Sparks. Sizewise its small; not the smallest SFF case but enough to give me headaches.

In 1941, Noblitt-Sparks began producing its first private-brand merchandise. Such production was brought to a quick halt after the United States entered World War II late that year, and by 1942 all production efforts were geared toward the war effort. During the war Noblitt-Sparks produced a wide range of military products, including chemical and incendiary bombs, rocket-launching tubes, steel containers, fire extinguishers, anti-tank mine parts, radio communications equipment, and parts for military vehicles. In 1944 the company purchased a former furniture plant in North Vernon, Indiana, and began producing boxes for the bombs being made at its Columbus plant.

The heater's art deco lines as well as it's manufacturer's history made it destined to be a Bioshock mod.

Here's what the final should look like. I'm still debating colors including plating vs powder coating and I'll need your opinion but that's a later update.

This mod and it’s back story came together through a series of surreal connections and coincidences, if I can take the time to share one. One of the inspirations for the story was spawned from the 2K Games Bioshock 2 viral marketing campaign at www.somethinginthesea.com. In fact, the secret message in the runes was coded from there. In the campaign, if you sent a letter to a fictional detective then 2K sent you swag. I received the old record that you see in the video and a membership card.

The card came with typos on my first and last name (likely due to my poor penmanship). While Arvin isn't my name, it is the name of the heater. And that's just one coincidental connection to this mod that makes me love this build. There is still a ways to go and a few surprises yet but I am going to be sad to see this one end.

Back to the build and the welding hose clamps where we left off, the nice thing about brass and copper is you can anneal it and shape it however you want.

Hose clamp meet stingray

From the bottom side, the clamps are secured to the wood base with brass nails

I trimmed off one side of the hose clamps to clean up the look.

A few wing nuts, threaded rod, and solder = hold down thumbscrews.

The base isn't just there for looks. Most of the wiring will be hidden in the base as well as the DVD drive. One of the challenges of found case modding is figuring out how to mount the hardware. For the DVD, I needed some way to make mounting and adjusting the DVD position easy.

I found brass bolts like these in the plumbing section at my local DIY. They're bolts for a toilet.

Soldered to brass cross braces to support the DVD. You get the idea.

The HD and platform for the circuit board

Attached with 3M VHB tape to the DVD. So by turning the nuts on the screws, the drive can be lowered and raised.

Testing with wing nuts and knurled nuts

Knurled nuts are apparently used for lamps, again from the local DIY.

The brass hold downs were a bit of a change in plan with a rethink in the base mounting. So experimentation with different coverings and coatings ensued.

After several iterations and days trying brass/copper foil and mesh...

I came back to using a heavy canvas lining (which feels right for the mod). Now I just need to learn how to sew it together. Once the lining is complete, I've got the front switch, HDMI port, and wiring holes remaining to finish off the base before I can send it out for final finish.

On the wiring, I started looking at the graphics card setup. While the mini-itx MB does have integrated graphics, part of the design challenge was to include a graphics card for better performance. Given the size constraints, a few unique things were needed. To minimize the visible wiring and the tubing routing, the graphics card is mounted off board and upside down.

Casey at http://www.adexelec.com/ helped find the right PCI-E extender. Thanks Casey!

Cable-gami anyone? It took a pad of paper to figure this out.

The folding flips the card side connector upside down.

The other necessary thing is a performant graphics card with low power requirements and a small footprint. The best one that I could find was the Galaxy 9600 GT LP LP. The LPs stand for Low Profile Low Power. It’s the ideal card for what I have in mind.

Thanks Galaxy and Shane!

This card is a tiny half height card at 8 x 2.25 inches. Also check out the lack of power connector on the right side of the PCB. I've got a max of 200W to play with on this build so every little bit helps. One less set of wires to worry about doesn't hurt either. [H] did a great review of the card last year that gives all stats if you're interested. For this build or for a lower power home theater PC, the card is a great balance of power and size.

Testing the card with the motherboard everything was aces running at a cool 60W with DVD playback.

The only thing that glitched was the modded xbox 360 power supply. When I swapped over to an unmodded one then everything worked. I'll need to cross check my soldering.

From the back side, the mounting doesn't look too complex. Huh, mounting for what?

Something naked this way comes.

Not sure if you noticed these in the video and pictures from Vintage Laser.

Laser block or layer cake block that are stacked pieces of sheet brass soldered together.

Because the laser can't cut copper, I had to go old school on the 1/8" copper.

I plan to solder them together and no, I have no idea what I am doing. Should be fun. Any bets on whether it'll work? Opinions vary from it'll leak or that performance will be too poor. On the last point, I don't think it'll matter much given the cooling requirements of the card. On the first, stay tuned to find out…

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!

Bitspower

Galaxy

HardwareLabs