Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

Thanks blue, working the next update!

I'm going to try to hard silver solder the blocks together. Two problems with that. I need about 1400F to hard solder which is near the melting temp of brass and well beyond annealing temperature. To test if it's even possible to do this, a little trial run is in order.

Here's the brass and copper pieces with cutouts of solver solder. Note the breaks in two of the solder pieces.

Here's the "sandwich" test block assembled. The pins are there to keep the pieces from sliding around under pressure.

I said that there were two problems. The second is how to keep the layers in place and under consistent pressure.

These are clamping plates made from 1/4" steel plate.

The bow in the plates is real and caused by the the screws.

30 PSI propane burner for seafood boils.

Clamped block in places and soldering underway

The solder melts at 1280 F and flows at 1370 F.

Steel glows dull red at about 1250 F and orange at 1400F+. It took about 15 mintues to get to this point.

After the plates were pulled apart, the pattern is from flux boiling out of the block.

The top piece coppery color is due to the zinc and copper beginning to separate in the brass.

Very ugly looking

You still can see and feel the edges of the silver. Interesting as they should have melted and flowed if temperature peaked above 1400F.

A quick trip to the disc sander.

The annealing that I was worried about doesn't seem to be a problem.

The threads held up ok too. Interestingly the copper at the bottom is coated in what looks to be brass but nothing appears melted.

You can see the solder layers. Note the two dark spots in the middle of solder layer 1 and 2. I believe these are the splits in the solder.

Not sure what the dark line in left corner of solder layer 3 is.

My fear was that I was going to melt the brass or anneal it to the point of softening the threads. This did not happen. The block appears to be solid; although I don't believe the solder flowed. This week, I'll test it under water to see if it holds pressure.

Pressure test success or no, I learned enough to try this for real on the sand blasted block from the last update...with a few tweaks that is. A few more heat bricks would help to hold in the heat. Longer time at higher temperatures would likely help too. More on the pressure test later.

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!

Bitspower

Galaxy

HardwareLabs

Thats sweet! I love this worklog. I learn new things every time you post! you are a mod god!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Dear God, Mach. There you go again. Over the top, just where you seem to like it.

The men in the white coats should be arriving at your door any time, but don't worry too much. They tell me they have classes in glassblowing at the... hospital.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Awesome! One thing I would worry about though would be any solder or flux leakage into the inner chamber when you do the actual waterblock. Though, I guess if it didn't leak into the hole in this one, that might not be an issue...

In any case, awesome work! It's always fun to see what crazy new stuff you'll try.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

this is getting ridiculous... will you adopt me and teach me the ways of the jedi?
    Not dead yet

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Thats sweet! I love this worklog. I learn new things every time you post! you are a mod god!
    Thanks! I am saving this post for my girlfriend as proof that my OCD is educational. Next time I can answer the question "What are you doing now?" with the answer "Teaching, teaching." as I drag the compressor across the yard. She would definitely disagree with you on my deity status tho.

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    Dear God, Mach. There you go again. Over the top, just where you seem to like it.

The men in the white coats should be arriving at your door any time, but don't worry too much. They tell me they have classes in glassblowing at the... hospital.
    I'm a firm believer in the idea that you don't know where the lines are until your cross them. Glass blowing? Hmmm, have I ever shown you my radioactive glass collection?

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Awesome! One thing I would worry about though would be any solder or flux leakage into the inner chamber when you do the actual waterblock. Though, I guess if it didn't leak into the hole in this one, that might not be an issue...

In any case, awesome work! It's always fun to see what crazy new stuff you'll try.
    Thanks! Flux is a concern as are oxides. A "pickle" of peroxide and sulfuric acid should solve that tho. The solder will be ok as its primarily silver. Its been fun for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    this is getting ridiculous... will you adopt me and teach me the ways of the jedi?
    [jedi hand wave]This is not the hobby you are looking for.[/jedi hand wave] Sorry, the force is not so strong in this one. Glad you like it!

I was rigging up something to pressure test but I went low tech with an aquarium pump up just to see what would happen.
    Check this out:

That's a bubble out of the split in the silver pieces. Pretty cool huh? Lesson learned solid silver pieces and heat it hotter until the silver flows, not just fuses.

One of the nice things about hard soldering or brazing these things. Soft solder works very well.

Cleaned up

We'll see how it holds up to more pressure later.

Split sheets shouldn't be problem with this block but will be with the GPU block.

Nice work on fabricating your own blocks!

I think it will end up nice after some testing and experimenting. But sandblasting would might be better after sthe oldering? To prevent it from scratching and damaging.

I did some sandblasting too, my dad had a gun for it, and i made serveral engravings with it on acrylic and aluminum. Results are nicer than engraving on average, because lines are just as straight as you cut them (or get them cut by an machine) Also the surface is better, no engraving lines.

Obviously, soft-tape (isolation tape) is more resistant to the blasting procces than harder tapes (the transparents) were.
    My TBCS worklogs:

HTPC Onkyo look(active!)
    Alien Hospital(on hold) - Chemical Industrial(finished) - Cosmod(finished)
    Other finished projects:
    I-spider - Chemical Overdose - The Praetorian

man mach, this is absolutely amazing work! great method to solder the blocks together! only thing i would worry about is cleaning them

+ rep for the godlike work!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Quote Originally Posted by _ferry_ View Post
    But sandblasting would might be better after sthe oldering?

I did some sandblasting too...
    Thanks ferry! After would be better. The existing etching will be sanded down and redone with some bigger equipment after soldering.

Do you have a worklog for your sand blasting? Feel free to put up some pics here if not. Its a cool technique that I don't see used a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
    man mach, this is absolutely amazing work! great method to solder the blocks together! only thing i would worry about is cleaning them

+ rep for the godlike work!
    Thanks pOPe! It shouldn't be too bad but finding out is half the fun. Thanks for the rep