Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

Excellent work as always!

On the fitting, I'll have to vote for compression fittings. I'm sure you'll solve the riddle of the sleeving. You always do.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Thanks blueonblack! Yeah its a toss up right now. I love the brass clamps but its not as clean as the compression fittings.

Very nice, I'm eagerly awaiting this one's finish...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Man do I love a "Mod by Mach" and this one has definitely got me anxious!

Great job!

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

looks insane great work
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Compression fittings get my vote also...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Thanks guys! Fair warning, completion is going to take awhile. Still trying to get everything to cooperate by fitting into the case.

Compression fitting it is! Thanks Luke and Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Man do I love a "Mod by Mach" and this one has definitely got me anxious!

Great job!
    +1 on that! looking sweet so far. good solder work
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Thanks billygoat333. No leaks on the reservoir. I've got one other solder job on it and then I'll call it done.

So more of a teaser but I'm trying to work a temperature probe into the reservoir. Here's the first attempt at a mounting flange:

I got a little carried away trying to work an led into it. It was fun to make but its too long. I'll just go with the top ball fitting and the bottom hex nut when I solder it to the tank.

Thanks for looking.

Default Update 3 - Wait til your berserker gets home...

Who were the berserkers? Nothing in the historical record shows that they were any different than other Vikings. They were men (interestingly, no mention of berserker women) who lived among other Vikings, raised families, and led what could be considered normal lives unless they went berserk unexpectedly. Then friend, foe, or family were at risk. The sagas cite several times where a berserker was overcome by their blood lust when working or playing a game. As did Skallagrim, who went berserk while playing a ball game with his son.

Skallagrim then became so strong and he caught up Thord and dashed him down so violently that he was all bruised and at once got his bane [died]. Then he seized Egil. Now there was a handmaid of Skallagrim's named Thorgerdr Brak, who had nursed Egil when a child; she was a big woman, strong as a man, and of magic cunning. Said Brak:

'Dost thou turn thy shape-strength, Skallagrim, against thy son?' Egil's Saga Chapter 40

Turns out, he didn't kill his son, Egil. He was too busy flinging Brak off a cliff before he snapped out of it. So, it seems that once a berserker was wired to the Bärsärkar-gång, he couldn't control it, and he couldn't "unwire" himself even if his family was at risk. What the hell did these guys do to themselves??

---

Back to the mod, the fitting that I was making in the last update is for the reservoir temperature probe. Rubidium over at RealRedRaider did an absolutely awesome tutorial on how to seal a Dallas One Wire sensor. Here's the hole for the flange (yes, I was wincing drilling that one.)

Flange, fitting and tube

Flange soldered in place. That's wet paper towels around the flange to keep from desoldering anything vital.

One wire sensor and tube

Same sensor from the side

Syringe loaded up with 3M potting resin

In place, waiting for resin

Sealed up with resin goodness

Get the idea? The tubing is flared to keep the sensor from falling in.

Mounting bracket drilled out for the fitting and wire in the copper tubing leading to the case.

On the subject of how the berserkers were wired, here's how this project is going to be wired. Lazy man's sleeving! Cloth covered wire. 16 gauge spark plug wire

20 gauge lamp cord in basic colors

Even more colors

18 gauge black. I'm leaning toward using green and black only.

Amphenol power plug and receptacle rated at 6 amps per pin IIRC

Sufficiently industrial looking no?

Bridged the connections with a short run to the DC-DC converter.

Finally broke down and bought a desoldering gun after getting jerked around on ebay.

The victim.

Works a treat. Had to massage the connector a little to get it to relent but very easy.

Back side shot. I'm going to solder the wires directly to the board and then to a 24 pin plug. Have you ever seen anyone successfully desolder an ATX receptacle and solder on the back of the motherboard? Advice and opinions would be appreciated on how silly an idea it is.

One of the things that I love about modding is the ridiculously talented people that you meet. Here's a couple of CPU waterblock tops that Duniek made. Check out his work if you get a chance.

Not only is he talented but he's an extremely nice guy when it comes to silly ass requests. I'm planning on using the copper with the brass hold down if I can get it all to fit. Thanks Duniek, amazing work!

Lastly, on the subject of truly great stand-up guys, take a look at this. Its an unfinished Hardware Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 140. It was loving pulled from the assembly line, wrapped with care, and shipped from the Philippines by Willie at HWLabs. For a CEO and President, he's an extremely patient man when it comes to silly ass requests. It's solid quality and will make a perfect addition to this project as its one of the thinner radiators going in the 140 size. If you need a new rad, check out their new SR-1 line-up.

(Thanks Willie! really, really appreciate it!)

On a more serious note, you may of heard of the double whammy typhoons that hit the Philippines recently. If you can spare a few bones, please think about throwing a tenner the Red Cross' way earmarked for the SE Asia disaster relief. It'll help some folks who are hurting and it'll make you feel good too...promise!

That's about it for this update. If you're digging the brass/copper direction this is going, then stay tuned. I have discovered a dusty bottle of awesome sauce. The next update will be soaking in it.