Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

10/x = 6/1 tells me that for every 1 part of the 10% solution, you would need to dilute it with 1 and 2/3rd's part distilled H2O in order to get it down to 6%.

Of course, tests are in order.
    Last edited by Drum Thumper; 06-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    if you give me the volumes i can do the reduction for you to get the molarity correct... anything i can do to lend a hand to this BA mod
    Wow! Thanks for the offer!

Quote Originally Posted by DT
    10/x = 6/1 tells me that for every 1 part of the 10% solution, you would need to dilute it with 1 and 2/3rd's part distilled H2O in order to get it down to 6%.

Of course, tests are in order.
    You are a scholar (of the chemistry variety) and a gentleman. Thank you!

http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...773#post294773

Another formula in there, and I can give you the formula for the blackening if you like...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Thanks Kayin! Any recipes you have would be helpful. I'm going to try a few once a get the chemicals in.

http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benef...titration.html

Long story short, get thee to a homebrew shop ASAP and pick up a tritation kit. Pick the owner's brain while you are at it, he/she may be able to point you in the right direction.

My Flickr Stream

Yowza, is there anything that you guys don't know? Thanks DT!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Yowza, is there anything that you guys don't know?
    You make a good point actually. I've noticed that the compiled knowledge of members here is incredibly varied and comprehensive. Just about every topic I've seen brought up has had at least one expert and/or enthusiastic amateur on the topic pop up. It really is amazing to me the variety of people who are drawn here.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    You make a good point actually. I've noticed that the compiled knowledge of members here is incredibly varied and comprehensive. Just about every topic I've seen brought up has had at least one expert and/or enthusiastic amateur on the topic pop up. It really is amazing to me the variety of people who are drawn here.
    +1 to this.

My Flickr Stream

Let's inch the story and mod forward this time.

Via Operation Paperclip funding, Dr. Yi Suchong drugged unwitting subjects with hallucinogens derived from the puffer fish and sea cucumbers (among others). Subjects frequently experienced manic and aggressive episodes. They were often placed in a public setting with the apparent intent to cause a berserker attack on bystanders. Subjects wound up in jail or the hospital with no memories of preceding events. Suchong's research may have influenced the further experimentation with LSD and other psychotropics under the auspices of Project MKULTRA. In the 1973 CIA purge(pdf), a majority of Suchong's research notes were destroyed fueling speculation on his research progress and goals.

Did the CIA and Suchong attempt to re-create berserking in the 1950s?

-----

Some small progress, both in scope and size. I need some buttons for input on the Arduino board to change the different lighting and sound modes. Something a little stealthy though. The front of the case offers several spare possibilities from the original mounting screws.

The targets are the holes left by the two silver screws.

The idea is to fill those holes with push buttons that look like the brass hex head screws used for case screws

The dregs of the friendly neighborhood shooting range. They see reloading rejects, I see brass. I just could never figure out what to do with them.

Until now that is. The cast of characters from left to right. A piece of scrap brass tubing, a micro switch, a hex head brass screw, a standoff, and the 22 casing.

22 shell casing drilled out.

Everything whittled to size. The tubing was slot cut to hold the switch. The standoff rounded to act as a plunger and the 22 shell cut down to act as a cap.

The push button head on, glued in place with some hot glue.

The plunger assembled. There's about 1-2 mm of play in the plunger. Just enough to depress the button on the switch

It all fits together very tight. The ID/OD of the tubing and 22 shell is perfect.

The button in place and working. Rinse and repeat for the other side.

Still on the topic of buttons, last time around, you were left looking at a large gaping hole in the front of the Bioshock logo hidden compartment. Let's talk about filling it.

First, a brief aside to introduce a fascinating material called uranium or vaseline glass. As the name suggests, its made with trace amounts of uranium (although some pieces were found to contain as much as 25% uranium). Yes, its radioactive. It'll register above the normal background radiation of a sensitive geiger counter but is consider harmless (unless you vaporize the glass through grinding or sanding).

It was popular during the late 1800s until the 1920s. Collectors sometimes call it Depression Glass as it was very popular during the American Great Depression. Take a look on eBay, there is still a lot of this stuff around. I find it amazing that a little Grandma somewhere has an entire china cabinet full of cut radioactive glass.

And once you start looking for it, its everywhere in vintage knick knacks, utensils, dishware, and costume jewelery.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The way you tell if you have a piece is with UV light. Seems that all that radioactive material causes it to glow….alot. :o

I mean really glows.

Back to the mod, one of the cut uranium glass gems.

A micro switch from the local electronics salvage store.

A brass grommet from the modding closet.

I actually went through a 7mm shell casing and a 30/06 casing before inspiration struck.

A couple pieces of scrap square stock

Some careful dremeling and copious amounts of silver solder.

The patina was too cool to sand off so it stays

The stone fit just about perfect in the grommet. Hot glue to the rescue again to set it.

Test fit and we have a power button.

But what about the glow? The micro switches that are illuminated with tiny leds, of the yellow variety. Not exactly the color that we're looking for though.

Off to eBay for some UV SMD leds.

A little grinding and soldering makes a UV microswitch. Unfortunately they're more in the upper end of the violet spectrum. Hmm.

What about a combo shot? Soldering a UV led on top of the yellow led.

Not exactly it either. The glass glows green at an oblique angle but straight on, it looks purple.

Back to the drawing board, I added a few resistors to the orginal LED circuit and the light became distinctly green. A few more times to work in the UV led but couldn't get away from the purple.

So in the end it was the resistor throttled, green led.

This I can live with. I'm working on the Arduino circuitry again in hopes of finishing the base off. Still experimenting with the waterblocks but more on that in the next update. More as time permits. Thanks for looking!

Many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower

Galaxy

HardwareLabs

Is there anything you not going to hand make for this thing? Seriously though AWESOME work as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field