Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Bärsärkar-gång

Default Re: Bärsärkar-gång

Do you have to start LCD Smartie each and every time you want the meter to be active?

Quote Originally Posted by Starlite KNight View Post
    Do you have to start LCD Smartie each and every time you want the meter to be active?
    Yes, but you can set it to start with Windows. That does mean that it doesn't work unless Windows is running i.e. its not standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    It would look killer aged a bit.
    Hopefully it will be. I'm planning to patina the entire case. I've got a formula for doing it but still working out how. I'm reading up on how to do cracked paint effects. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by raistnox View Post
    personally i like it all polished up with the etching semi rough like it is. just my 2 cents
    I do too, stand alone, but with the amount of brass, copper, and bronze that will be visible, a little contrast will be a welcome addition.

----

While I'm waiting on paint, a little backtracking on sleeving. If you recall, heavy copper was the favorite with the green tubing.

To make the sleeving work and keep it from fraying, I cut brass tubing to make retaining collars.

The longer ones are easier to work with but it's too much (yes, I said it) brass. So smaller collars it is...

I also tested out the suggestion about removing strands of copper to show more green tubing. I tried one with 2 strands but it collapsed on itself. 3 strands works but I don't like it as much. It loses something when the pattern is disrupted.

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower

Galaxy

HardwareLabs

Anodized

First off... let me say this is quite a spectacular case mod. Very well done so far.

I do have a question, perhaps I missed it when I read through this initialy but you put the tubes with the "glyphs" on them inside your brass res, are there plans to put a window on there so those can been seen??

His updates never fail to impress! I hope you don't mind me answering this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    First off... let me say this is quite a spectacular case mod. Very well done so far.

I do have a question, perhaps I missed it when I read through this initialy but you put the tubes with the "glyphs" on them inside your brass res, are there plans to put a window on there so those can been seen??
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    They'll screw into the reservoir to provide the necessary bactericide for the cooling loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    O_O That...looks awesome. It's a shame they won't be visible though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Not really...I think hidden things like this are awesome. I love the story about the hidden message in Abraham Lincoln's watch. When I take apart on old radio, you always find hidden notes and symbols. Its the hidden details that makes me grin and feeds my OCD.

Thanks MrGoat! Starlite KNight is right, they won't be seen. Consider it an extra detail for anyone watching the worklog.

Thanks for the response and watching KNight!

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

That tubing plus brass fittings is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see all the amazing pieces to this project come together.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Mmmm, that tubing looks beauteous in place.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Thanks Technochicken and x88x!

Spent Thanksgiving holidays getting over the flu and re-doing the frame for the Blu-Ray DVD.

The old frame wasn't laid out as well as it could have been. A little solder and some screws…

No your eyes aren't deceiving you the frame isn't square.

The holes in the base are shifted off center so a little adjustment was necessary. The joys of found case modding

The knurled nuts used to adjust the height of the drive.

The case slot with the drive in place. Next up the frame for the SSD and the Arduino circuit board.

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower

Galaxy

HardwareLabs

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Great work as always. Keep it up.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Thanks x88x!

Not an update to the mod this time but a couple of new materials that you might find interesting. The first is Sugru. It's like silicone clay that you can mold and it cures in the shape you molded it into.

What makes it interesting is that it doesn't require baking to cure, it stays flexible or rubbery to the touch, and being that its silicone, it sticks to whatever you put it on (glass, metal, wood, leather), its heat resistant to 180C and cold resistant to -60c.

As it's silicone, it should also act as a decent insulator for wiring. As far as possible uses, wire wrap, case feet, vibration dampener, soft touch buttons, or flexible mold material for duplicating parts all come to mind.

The other material is bronze flex tubing that I found at http://under-the-ice.com/. It has 12mm od and 7mm id so it's a little thin for hard lining a water cooling loop but if you're looking for piping for wiring. Its unique stuff that I haven't seen used before.