Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Optimus keyboard info to be released Feb. 1st

Default Re: Optimus keyboard info to be released Feb. 1st

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout View Post
    If you're a big time graphic designer then you know all the keyboard shortcuts to PS anyway!
    Keyboard shortcuts are one thing, but macro'd commands are an entirely different animal. This keyboard reminds me of one I use on campus for video editing and graphics work, that and sound editing seems to be where it would get the most use. Or if you're supremely hardcore about your gaming. If the cost managed to come down to $100ish I would consider buying one myself, but at that price, I don't think I could do it.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

On a slightly unrelated matter, does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to build your own LED lit keyboard? (not talking about this new Optimus or whatever) but just putting LED's in each key ti light up the letters (after you carve them out that is). I would love to have a keyboard that I could read better at night but don't really want to shell out that kind of dough, but then again, I also don't want to spend six years with a micro dremel bit cursing at my keyboard project. Know of any worklogs?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    On a slightly unrelated matter, does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it would be to build your own LED lit keyboard? (not talking about this new Optimus or whatever) but just putting LED's in each key ti light up the letters (after you carve them out that is). I would love to have a keyboard that I could read better at night but don't really want to shell out that kind of dough, but then again, I also don't want to spend six years with a micro dremel bit cursing at my keyboard project. Know of any worklogs?
    You could just use transparent keys and light the backboard.

I would love to have a keyboard that I could read better at night
    http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/eclipse.htm

Dude...totally!

if you want a DIY solution at a reasonable difficulty level, theres always black lights and clear-florescent paint, right? you just might want a clear coat on those keys

Thanks xmastree and AKA RA. I have seen that keyboard before but there is just something about it that I don't like. I would really like one with white leds in each key, and who knows I may build one someday when time is more on my side.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Thanks xmastree and AKA RA. I have seen that keyboard before but there is just something about it that I don't like. I would really like one with white leds in each key,
    That may well be too bright. Imagine over 100 white LEDs...

OTOH, I'm sure I saw somewhere in this forum, a mod involving replacing the LEDs in an Eclipse. Can't remember what the mod was, but I think it was car related. Anyway, it didn't look too difficult so you could replace the original blue with white ones. I think they are the chip type, like you get in cellphones. If you don't fancy soldering it, take the boards (they come out IIRC) to a cellphone repair shop, they should be able to do it for you.

Edit: found a link:
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=2843
    then follow the link in that thread, but I think the pictures are no more...
    http://thebestcasescenario.com/forum...&postcount=124

xmastree-

Thanks! I think you are right about the brightness unless I used some very dim LED's. It would also be much easier your way.

Fresh Paint

my max would be 200 USD

Overclocked

The optimus guys said it would cost $1200. It was on Engadget the other day