Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: any one using windows 7?

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: any one using windows 7?

I just purchased Vista Ultimate x64 because it came with a Win7 upgrade for when it's released. Figured it'd be cheaper that way, theres no way Win7 will be cheaper the Vista at launch... at least thats my philosophy.

I don't plan on installing Vista until Win7 is out. lol

-CollinstheClown

Fresh Paint

no not most desk tops here, that would would be crazy, (this is a mod forum) lol, just most average, an i know i paid for the name, and its very hot, but idk i just got lucky and havent found a game to date that i cant run on a hi res and everything turned up to as high as it goes, sure whatever is under my laptop is going to melt lol but it plays it.....anyway my friend said download 7 to a boot cd so i can put it on my new rig (that will spank most ON HERE) is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by l7.64ss View Post
    no not most desk tops here, that would would be crazy, (this is a mod forum) lol, just most average, an i know i paid for the name, and its very hot, but idk i just got lucky and havent found a game to date that i cant run on a hi res and everything turned up to as high as it goes, sure whatever is under my laptop is going to melt lol but it plays it.....anyway my friend said download 7 to a boot cd so i can put it on my new rig (that will spank most ON HERE) is this possible?
    That thing in parentheses... What is that?

There are some people on this forum that run quad-core clusters. They are fun to play with. Go try it.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

anyway my friend said download 7 to a boot cd so i can put it on my new rig (that will spank most ON HERE) is this possible?
    i put together a new rig, x58 mobo i7 cpu 9800 gtx+ wd 150 gig raptor and ram
    That will "spank" many systems on here when you get it running ... but maybe not most .... and it will certainly be far from the least powerful.

You only have one GPU for a start. Also what model i7 is it? And what RAM?

CB

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Don't buy vista yet, unless it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116678

Thats the one I bought.

-CollinstheClown

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    That will "spank" many systems on here when you get it running ... but maybe not most .... and it will certainly be far from the least powerful.

You only have one GPU for a start. Also what model i7 is it? And what RAM?

CB
    Oh well. In time, many things will be learned.

Back to the topic, I don't really want or feel the need to run Windows 7. Sounds cool, though. Just wish they would just phase out 32-bit already.

Windows just needs a new platform, and needs to get rid of the old one completely instead of just putting thousands of little "band-aids" over a third-degree burn.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    I just purchased Vista Ultimate x64 because it came with a Win7 upgrade for when it's released. Figured it'd be cheaper that way, ....

Yes it will ..... yet ... I believe the cheapest way to buy Windows 7 is to buy a European version which ships without IE8 because of the anti-trust issues with the European Union.

These versions can not be installed as upgrades because of the lack of IE8 in the system, so .....

Microsoft are selling "upgrade" disks in Europe - at upgrade prices - but they are not upgrades at all - it's the FULL version for a new install on them !!!!!!

This was the only way Microsoft could release Win 7 globally at the same time. I pre-ordered two copies at £50 ($90) each.

CB

Fresh Paint

the comp i built is an i7 2.66 that I will be oc'ing . 6 gigs of ddr3 that i will oc a lil, two evga 9800+ in sli, and a western digital raptor, im thinking about getting geting another and doing raid 0 but i don't know much about it (advise would be greatly appreciated). i am not trying to get into a who's got the biggest dick conversation i am just proud of my self my saving to get all that... anyway from Europe u say??? hmmmm.. i just want to put 7 in and bott to it so i can just get this thing running. and if it is impossible to have it be the first os in a comp than i will be stuck with with vista cuz i cant buy both

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I'm pretty sure you can still grab the 7 Release Candidate from MS for free. That would be my recommendation. That way you don't have to deal with Vista (not the hellhole that many will lead you to believe, but very bloated) and you get a legitimately free OS until, what, April?

As for your HDD, are you using a Raptor or a Velociraptor? Because if you're using a Raptor, honestly I'd recommend upgrading to something else instead of getting another one. If it's a Velociraptor, sure, go ahead with the RAID-0. You're MBB's controller should be able to handle that just fine. Just one thing to understand about RAID-0 before you use it:

There is one reason, and one reason only, to use RAID-0. Speed. You will get a nice boost of speed when you use RAID-0, but you will also put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. If any drive in a RAID-0 array fails, you lose to entire array. Because of this, I would not recommend using RAID-0 unless you have some way of doing regular backups of the array.

Oh, and a friendly warning, be wary of saying any system will outperform most systems on this forum, there's some pretty amazing systems around here Yours does sound like it's gonna pretty sweet though. Make sure you get a hi-res monitor or 2 to take advantage of the SLI. Speaking of which, ooc, have you purchased the 9800GTX+'s yet? I'm just thinking that if you haven't it might be a better idea to drop the extra $30 each and get GTX260's instead. I think the individual cards have similar benchmarks, but the 200 series uses a newer chip and might scale in SLI better (I don't know if this is actually the case, just speculating). IIRC know with the 9000 series SLI only got you around a 60% boost.