Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: any one using windows 7?

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: any one using windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Yes it will ..... yet ... I believe the cheapest way to buy Windows 7 is to buy a European version which ships without IE8 because of the anti-trust issues with the European Union.

These versions can not be installed as upgrades because of the lack of IE8 in the system, so .....

Microsoft are selling "upgrade" disks in Europe - at upgrade prices - but they are not upgrades at all - it's the FULL version for a new install on them !!!!!!

This was the only way Microsoft could release Win 7 globally at the same time. I pre-ordered two copies at £50 ($90) each.

CB
    ...Whoa... lol
    Linky?
    They wouldn't say things like colour right?

-CollinstheClown

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    Not unless you set it to UK/British English.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by l7.64ss View Post
    The computer I built is an i7 920 running at 2.66 ghz, that I will be overclocking. It also has 6 gigs of ddr3 that I am planning on overclocking a little bit. Two EVGA 9800+'s running in sli. The HDD is a western digital raptor, I am thinking about getting another to run in raid 0, but I am unsure of how to go about that (advise would be greatly appreciated). I am not trying to get into a *ick measuring contest. I am just proud of myself for saving to get all of that. I am from Europe u say??? hmmmm.. I am excited to boot windows 7 so I can try my new PC out. If it cannot run a a new computer,(it can) I will be stuck with vista as I cannot afford both.
    Edited to be legible

I was going to say that 6Gigs is overkill but found this. Of course you would REQUIRE a 64 bit version of Windows 7 to use 6 Gigs of RAM as 32 bit versions still suffer the 4Gig max addressable limit:

The results echo those of AN804 and show that 6GB of system memory is essential for gaming PCs based around Core i7 CPUs, with up to a 3x increase in performance compared to an identical PC with 3GB of RAM.

How we tested

To conduct the testing we built a high-performance Core i7 test system that reflects the type of PC that a gaming enthusiast would buy. By using high-end components we also preclude the possibility of any single item of hardware causing performance bottlenecks, which allows us to accurately measure the effect of increasing the memory density.

Memory Configurations
    3GB - 1600MHz Corsair Dominator TR3X3G1600C8D
    6GB - 1600MHz Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D

Test Platform
    ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard (BIOS version 0804)
    Intel Core i7-965 Extreme Edition CPU
    2 x 1GB Nvidia GeForce 280 GTX in SLI
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB in RAID 0
    24in TFT monitor
    Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, SP1
    Nvidia 180.43 BETA drivers (required for SLI on ASUS P6T Deluxe)
    One thing I would say is that you need to look at your memory configurations carefully with i7 as having memory that is mistimed/mismatched to your CPU can really slow the systems down. I will try and track down the article I read explaining the ins and outs of it.

CrazyB

EDIT Good article here: http://techgage.com/article/intel_co...st_memory_kit/ but not the one I was looking for.

EDIT2: This one contains the core info .... http://techreport.com/articles.x/15967

i7 920's are officially limited to 1066 speed memory by the onboard controller, but you can push that:

Despite the 920's lack of official support for faster memory, we can push its memory clock higher by overclocking the processor's base clock speed. We've done just that, dialing our Core i7-920's base clock up from 133 to 167 and 200MHz, which allows us to run the memory at 1333 and 1600MHz, respectively. Since we're focusing on memory performance, we lowered the 920's core multiplier to 16X at 167MHz and 13X at 200MHz. That gives us the same 2.66GHz core clock with a 167MHz base clock and 2.6GHz at 200MHz, which is close enough. As we did with the 965 Extreme, we've stuck with our DIMMs' default latencies of 7-7-7-20 at 1333MHz and 8-8-8-24 at 1600MHz. These results should let us know what happens to the i7's performance when you push both its base and memory clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Collinstheclown View Post
    ...Whoa... lol
    Linky?
    No .. you set the language as usual.

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=W...soft&scoring=p

There is still only one retailer left with the full discount "John Lewis" and you have to buy it in (a physical) store.

Next best price is £69

However ..... I doubt you will get these shipped outside the UK or any other European state purchased in as they are region specific versions and Microsoft will almost certainly have placed sales restrictions on them including shipping destinations.

CrazyB

Note- Windows 7E no longer exists.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Been using Win7 since January, any questions just ask.

Oh, and for the guy with the "awesome computer", hit my build log and see what I ended up with, the OCs and the scores I could pull out of it. And it's a tri-core.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Note- Windows 7E no longer exists.
    Do you mean the version shipped in Europe will carry IE8? When did that change. If it's still shipping without IE8 then it is the Win 7 E no?

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    Do you mean the version shipped in Europe will carry IE8? When did that change. If it's still shipping without IE8 then it is the Win 7 E no?

Matthew
    July 31st, 2009

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10301299-56.html

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Mwuhahahahahahahhahahaha

Those who pre-ordered Windows 7 "E" through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised. However, Microsoft plans to now sell Windows 7 upgrades in Europe and also offer a higher-priced full version (for those without an earlier copy of Windows)--similar to what it is doing in the rest of the world.
    My two $90 copies are going to be full versions come what may So will any one else who finds and buys a pre-order version in Europe (there are a few left).

And $90 is CHEAP here - we typically pay almost 1 £ for 1 $ on S/ware and H/ware - despite the exchange rate being 1:1.60

It's not a finalised deal yet either - unless things have moved on from that press release - but the splash screen allowing you to choose your browser is a great idea for everyone - not just those of us in Europe.

CrazyB