Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: any one using windows 7?

Overclocked

Default Re: any one using windows 7?

I went back to vista for programs that didnt work.. and the fact that It was missing alot of stuff I used in vista.. so I went back..

O that and the speed of vista was beating the win 7 wich was like wtf.. I supect its just drivers for now..

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    I went back to vista for programs that didnt work.. and the fact that It was missing alot of stuff I used in vista.. so I went back..

O that and the speed of vista was beating the win 7 wich was like wtf.. I supect its just drivers for now..

Any chance you could put this into english please?!

-gaz
    Last edited by gaz_the_chav; 10-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.

What programs didn't work? 7 isn't technically released yet, so you can't fault a 3rd party program for not working. What were you missing from Vista? You realize that MS removed a lot of extra features that people weren't using, and that many of them are available as separate downloads. Also, of the 6 computers I've used 7 with, all of them have had significant speed improvements, so it probably was drivers.

What are your specific problems?
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    Also, of the 6 computers I've used 7 with, all of them have had significant speed improvements, so it probably was drivers.
    /\ This has been my experience too. Heck, I have a friend who installed 7 on his Eee 1005, and it runs beautifully. Good luck running Vista on that.

I cant wait to get my upgrade from vista on my lappy. vista, when stripped completely, runs ok, but when i first got the piece of crap I was getting BSODs every 15 min. and it wouldnt hibernate without forcing me to restart after restoring from a hibernation. gay. it works now, but I am anxious for 7!

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    What programs didn't work? 7 isn't technically released yet, so you can't fault a 3rd party program for not working. What were you missing from Vista? You realize that MS removed a lot of extra features that people weren't using, and that many of them are available as separate downloads. Also, of the 6 computers I've used 7 with, all of them have had significant speed improvements, so it probably was drivers.

What are your specific problems?
    Acrobat programs... right of the bat lots of problems..

Problems with my raid controller.. it has random read write issuses.. had non in vista.. just gets all lagy and screws up seems like bad driver with a bug..

Outlook express is gone
    Windows movie maker is gone
    Basicly anyprogram that you install thats windows live.. they removed it from windows 7 so you can install the crapy windows live programs instead... and ANyone that says movie maker is there its a Lie.. ITs replaced with windows movie maker live its a link to download it.. meaning its not preinstalled.. It just seems like they stripped out features made it look better and utilize less ram and call it windows 7.. and what they are doing is makeing it so that dx11 wont come out for a while with vista even though it works fine already.. you need sp3 for dx11.. which isnt a huge thing since well not like anything is dx11 yet..

Now if you have low amounts of ram or a slow pc then windows 7 is faster but if you have a fast pc already then windows 7 is the same speed..

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Are the Windows Live programs free? Seems to me like they just cut out some of the less commonly used stuff from the default installation, and let people install it for free if they want it (last I checked, that was supposed to be a good thing; cheaper distribution costs, faster install time, etc). *shrugs* idk, I'd probably have different feelings about it if I actually used any of the programs they stripped out. I can't comment on Acrobat; I only use Reader, though I've never had any problems with it.

Acrobat programs... right of the bat lots of problems..
    I have Acrobat Pro on one of the Win7 laptops with no problems. Also, there are plenty of free programs that do more than Acrobat, like doPDF and Foxit. Why don't you tell us what problems you are having so we can help you.

Problems with my raid controller.. it has random read write issuses.. had non in vista.. just gets all lagy and screws up seems like bad driver with a bug..
    That's a third party hardware thing, fault the developer, not Win7. Have you checked their support forums for the issues? What specific raid controller is it, as again we can help you through it.

Outlook express is gone
    Windows movie maker is gone
    Again, they removed programs that weren't being used. More people use Thunderbird than OE now, and both OE and WMM are available for downloads. How is downloading them separately any different than what you do for a product like Firefox, or CCleaner, or Steam?

Would you rather have all those programs preinstalled, and have a slow computer because they didn't bother to have the thousands of developers work together and streamline all the programs? Would you rather not have the option of installing Win7 on a low power PC and know it will work better than both XP and Vista? As for the same speed on high power computers, I have to disagree. Even though most people think Win7 is just Vista SP3, the changes in architecture reflect more of Windows Server 2008 than it does Vista code. In my comparisons, Vista takes about 25-30% more RAM and 5-10% more CPU utilization due to all the extraneous background process. Adding the downloadable content back into 7 will not bring back any of the background processes like the 13 instances of svchost.exe that commonly show up on Vista computers.

If you are having problems, say so and identify the specific instances. Just like with driver and architecture problems when Vista was released, you can't blame an OS for problems with 3rd party developers.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I ran W7 back during the beta test for about 3 weeks and ran CS2, CS3, CS4, Dreamweaver, Image Ready, Acrobat, COD MW, Fear, GTA IV, UT III, All the office 2007 programs, all the normal anti virus / spyware programs, filezilla, Photomatrix pro, Adobe Literoom, and many more programs and the only problem I ever found was trying to get it to recognize my 4 year old D-Link router.

IMO those who have problems with Vista or W7 either don't know enough about computers to properly check for updated drivers or install the OS on a machine not capable of handling it. Its 2008 people, everyone should have at minimum 2gb ram, and a 1.8Ghz dual core processor at the least. Trying to run vista or W7 on legacy hardware is never going to work as good as it would on an up to date machine. I mean you seriously don't think the guys at Redmond are going to code a completely new OS around hardware that's 5-10 years old do you?

But that begs the argument of whether Redmond is advancing hardware requirements at the benefit of the hardware companies, like Intel... The big stink with Vista was that a lot of 'Vista Ready' computers weren't really Vista ready, and Intel knowingly applied those brands in hopes users would upgrade to REAL Vista ready computers.

Linux doesn't have that kind of problem.