Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: any one using windows 7?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: any one using windows 7?

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    But that begs the argument of whether Redmond is advancing hardware requirements at the benefit of the hardware companies, like Intel... The big stink with Vista was that a lot of 'Vista Ready' computers weren't really Vista ready, and Intel knowingly applied those brands in hopes users would upgrade to REAL Vista ready computers.
    I would definitely not say that Redmond is advancing hardware requirements to the benefit of hardware manufacturers. Consumers like shiny, therefore OS developers make shiny. Shiny is harder for the computer to run, so it requires more powerful computers. However, the power required for an OS is never a cutting edge thing; it's just when people try to run a brand new OS (with lots of new shiny) on 3-4 year old computers, and expect them to work just as fast as they did on the old OS (with less shiny).

In all honesty, the only thing that any of those 'Vista Ready' computers were missing was RAM. I ran Vista on a (single core) Athlon FX-55 with 2GB of DDR-400 RAM for over a year with no problems at all; I even did heavy gaming on it. I don't remember seeing a single 'Vista Ready' computer with less than 2 CPU cores, but I do remember seeing plenty with as little as 512MB of RAM...which frankly was just a dick move on the part of the OEMs.

Linux doesn't have that kind of problem.
    Oh I beg to differ; Debian clearly states that I need 64MB of RAM to run a desktop environment. That's clearly pushing up the hardware requirements

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I run reader all the time and CS3 and it runs flawlessly. and you can just download OE and WMM like the others said. I dont use OE so I dont care about that, but I did download WMM and use it a lot.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

But that begs the argument of whether Redmond is advancing hardware requirements at the benefit of the hardware companies, like Intel... The big stink with Vista was that a lot of 'Vista Ready' computers weren't really Vista ready, and Intel knowingly applied those brands in hopes users would upgrade to REAL Vista ready computers.

Linux doesn't have that kind of problem.
    Well of course they are. That's how business works. A big corp like M$ has a vested interest in coding around current and future architectures. They know that this is what the current OEM manufacturers will be building with and if they code it to slightly higher than current but aging hardware, the smaller component manufacturing companies will update their hardware. This will cause a chain reaction that will eventually trickle down to the consumer having to purchase new hardware to be able to run this new flashy and cool OS, thus driving the industry and selling more copies of the OS.

Video game coders have been doing this for years. They code games inefficiently so that they will use more video card resources, causing the consumer to have to upgrade their GPU to play the latest game. Ever wonder why the same game with almost the same coding will play on your X-box 360 with the same GPU that played the previous game in the series and you were stuck spending $200-500 on a new video card to play that same game on your pc when your 360 has less than half the power of your current GPU?
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 10-24-2009 at 11:57 AM.

I chose to stick with 16-bit hand-painted sprites for that reason. Not all game developers are doing that.

And, look at the requirements for 7 vs Vista-they're the same or lower. The industry is slowly but surely wising up-now let's get them to worry more about gameplay and less about pretty.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Overclocked

I have Acrobat Pro on one of the Win7 laptops with no problems. Also, there are plenty of free programs that do more than Acrobat, like doPDF and Foxit. Why don't you tell us what problems you are having so we can help you.

That's a third party hardware thing, fault the developer, not Win7. Have you checked their support forums for the issues? What specific raid controller is it, as again we can help you through it.

Again, they removed programs that weren't being used. More people use Thunderbird than OE now, and both OE and WMM are available for downloads. How is downloading them separately any different than what you do for a product like Firefox, or CCleaner, or Steam?

Would you rather have all those programs preinstalled, and have a slow computer because they didn't bother to have the thousands of developers work together and streamline all the programs? Would you rather not have the option of installing Win7 on a low power PC and know it will work better than both XP and Vista? As for the same speed on high power computers, I have to disagree. Even though most people think Win7 is just Vista SP3, the changes in architecture reflect more of Windows Server 2008 than it does Vista code. In my comparisons, Vista takes about 25-30% more RAM and 5-10% more CPU utilization due to all the extraneous background process. Adding the downloadable content back into 7 will not bring back any of the background processes like the 13 instances of svchost.exe that commonly show up on Vista computers.

If you are having problems, say so and identify the specific instances. Just like with driver and architecture problems when Vista was released, you can't blame an OS for problems with 3rd party developers.

The drivers were preloaded into the os that Im haveing issuse with.. raid random read and write bugs.. opening a photo on a memory card is very bugy.. it can hang the system

O and have you actually used windows live movie maker? .. Trust me it sucks so bad try it you will see... acrobate has problems working.. and several other programs installing was easyer but windows 7 is way way over hyped..

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

I was suppose to get the windows the 22 because i bought a laptop with the free upgrade . I called hp still ahvent got it yet steve said everything was ok dont worry lol I want my os steve

Fresh Paint

I Izzzzz!!!!!!!!!!

I just upgraded to Win 7 from Vista and noticed a speed difference. Programs seem to open faster (well IE still kind of sucks but don't use it anyways) and windows update isn't annoying as all hell when updates are present. So far I have had no problems getting programs going, not done all the installs but seems to be working well and as opposed to Vista I actually have all my damn drivers from day 1 so woo! (Not Windows fault but hey it's nice not having the nagging icon in device manager)

I actually like the task bar. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but it works well and systray is way less clogged up, not to mention way way less processes running! So far I'm satisfied, bumped a few more frames in some games maybe 5%, unlike Vista first install where I was losing at least 10% frames.

Did have 1 problem though, updated my network drivers (through windows update) and for some reason it installed the old driver and totally botched my connection, so had to do rollback and went to newer driver, problem solved.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killa_Ape View Post
    I actually like the task bar. I wasn't sure how I was going to like it, but it works well and systray is way less clogged up, not to mention way way less processes running!
    It took me a little while to get used to it, but I really like the task bar too. Plus, and added bonus, it's the first Windows taskbar that actually works well on the side of the screen. Yay for less wasted screen space

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid_Scope_99 View Post
    I was suppose to get the windows the 22 because i bought a laptop with the free upgrade . I called hp still ahvent got it yet steve said everything was ok dont worry lol I want my os steve
    same here. got mine through dell supposed to be sent an email. but nothing yet. gay gay gay.