Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not go to Cars.gov

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Do not go to Cars.gov

Default Re: Do not go to Cars.gov

chaskq showed me this a few days ago, I had a few security analysts look at it and it doesn't seem that it injects anything onto your computer. I have no idea why they make this claim.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

What level security analysts? Are we talking high school kids? Or do you have family that works for someone that knows their ****?

The team I know works for ESSVote. They have to know their **** otherwise the worlds' government systems all go down the toilet.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Anyone want to try this or offer some kind of more credible proof aside from Fox News?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgegranted View Post
    chaskq showed me this a few days ago, I had a few security analysts look at it and it doesn't seem that it injects anything onto your computer. I have no idea why they make this claim.
    They're Fox News, that's why they make that claim. They base their business on frightening people as much as possible. I must say though, it's a rather entertaining video, in a morbid sort of way. Just for kicks, I might try that later with system monitoring tools running, see what really happens.

That aired over 2 weeks ago. Since then the offending Terms and Conditions statement has been removed. It did not install anything on your PC, and it was intended for Dealer Support users and Enterprise Service Center accounts, not the Consumer.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/clunkers.asp

Regardless of it actually doing anything, the disclaimer shouldn't give them those kind of rights. They may as well say "accessing this sites gives government officials the right to rape your mother."

Will they all come rape my mom? No. But I'll be damned if I accept an agreement giving them that "right."

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice, I didn't even think to look it up on snopes. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillington View Post
    Regardless of it actually doing anything, the disclaimer shouldn't give them those kind of rights. They may as well say "accessing this sites gives government officials the right to rape your mother."

Will they all come rape my mom? No. But I'll be damned if I accept an agreement giving them that "right."
    Did you read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by EFF
    According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), even consumers who may have inadvertently stumbled across the notice and mistakenly clicked on it were not in danger of having the "government take all the information on their computers":
    Clicking "continue" on a poorly worded Terms of Service on a government site will not give the government the ability to "tap into your system ... any time they want." The seizure of the personal and private information stored on your computer through a one-sided click-through terms of service is not "conscionable" as lawyers say, and would not be enforceable even if the cars.gov website was capable of doing it, which we seriously doubt. Moreover, the law has long forbidden the government from requiring you to give up unrelated constitutional rights as a condition of receiving discretionary government benefits like participation in the Cars for Clunkers program.
    The Click through was mistakenly put in the wrong place.. it should have only appeared to the entities that actually login to the system, and poorly worded as well.

It was a dumb ass mistake, but never the less just a mistake.