Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sins of a solar empire?

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Sins of a solar empire?

Is this game any good? I was given Sins of a solar empire today by a friend who found it in a box of stuff she bought at a yard sale. Its brand new, I just took it out of the shrink wrap. Its the GOTY edition so it has to be decent right? lol

Default Re: Sins of a solar empire?

I haven't played the game but it has sold a lot of copys and has had some pretty good scores after reading about it I want to get the game lol lucky. Only one way to find out if it truely is good and that's by playing it hope you like it.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I was looking at that game but bought Supreme Commander over it. Looked like a lot of fun. You'll have to let us know then I'll have to go buy it if it is.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I think it's pretty good, games take a while to play though just to give you a heads up. Played a 4 player game and it took many a hour, around 8 I think if I remember correctly.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

It isn't bad but it's entirely too easy to get bored - and it will get to a point where, no matter what you do, you'll be destined to win or lose and nothing with change the outcome - which still takes a LONG long time to get to....

I don't think I ever actually played a game to completion, because once you know you're either going to win or you haven't got a chance, the repetitive nature of it is too much to take :p

[EDIT] : Course I could well be getting mixed up with Galactic Civilisations II - in fact, now I think about it - I'm almost certain I am.....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I installed it but have not played it yet. I am going to hold off on playing it until I have a few hours free. I read a few reviews that said it is pretty click intensive and that new players should pay attention to the tutorials.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Is this game any good?
    ehem.. *clears throat* HELLS YEAH!!! Go play. Now!!

Ok, now that that's out..

Yes, if you enjoy space RTS's, you will adore SOAS. It is a beautiful game with very well done combat mechanics and an actually believable scale (you conquer a star system, not a galaxy). It even has passable AI...freakin annoying AI, but that's because it's passable Stupid s'wits, hitting me and then running away so I can't crush you.... Hold still so I can crush you like the bugs you are!! ... <_< >_> ...anyways... IMO it is the best space RTS I have ever played, with one tiny problem....no internet multiplayer. It has a bit of a learning curve, but is well worth it. Also, yeah, 8 hour games are not unusual...in fact, they can stretch much longer. I think the longest I had was around 20 hours (not all in one sitting) on one of the really big maps with 8 players, iirc.

If you have a nice system, I would highly recommend watching some of the battles once you've finished giving your ships their orders. It truly is a beautifully done game. The amazing thing is that it was created on a total budget of just $1,000,000 ...and sold 200,000 copies in the first month alone. As of September 2008, after only 7 months on the market, they had already sold over 500,000 copies (100,000 of those digital downloads, read: minimal distribution costs). All this, and the game has absolutely no DRM. Funny thing about that, the game has no DRM and yet it still sold like crazy (kinda like another game we all know and love..Oblivion). [/DRMrant]

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I LOVE this game, I played the trial (2 hours is definitely not enough time lol) and got addicted, installed it on every machine I had HAHA. I haven't seen it in store in Australia so I am thinking of downloading it off their site. Really really fun. Your not really making a base and an army, you are making an EMPIRE MWAHAHAHAHAH!!!
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I haven't had the chance to play it yet. I sure hope this game doesn't eat into my Oblivion time.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    I sure hope this game doesn't eat into my Oblivion time.
    Oh believe me, it will, but you wont even notice lol.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08