Thread: Need some Cisco TS help...

Default Need some Cisco TS help...

Anyone familiar with the Cisco 2800 series switches?

I have one here on RMA, but no failure information (typical of this customer). I need to know how to do some quick tests to verify it is working or not...

I know enough about Cisco to connect to the management port. That's it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Default Re: Need some Cisco TS help...

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Thanks Luke! Some good info there, but I am already lost...

All I need to do is to figure out if this thing is working, but so far I can not even get a prompt from the Command port. Gonna try a new router to see if it is my computer setup or cable...

I am NOT a cisco guy and have never even connected to the command port yet. If I can fix this thing with a system reset or image reload I won't have to destroy it...

Ship it to me!

I'll try it out! My Cisco experience is super limited, but I'd love to get my hands on it and try it out.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Man, if you asked that three years ago I would have been able to help you out. Now that I haven't touched a Cisco product in that long (or any real router or high end switch for that matter) I can't really help (unless I had my hands on it).

Those require the "roll over" serial cable for management still, don't they? (not crossover where the RX and TX lines are crossed, rollover is where one end is flipped)
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    Man, if you asked that three years ago I would have been able to help you out. Now that I haven't touched a Cisco product in that long (or any real router or high end switch for that matter) I can't really help (unless I had my hands on it).

Those require the "roll over" serial cable for management still, don't they? (not crossover where the RX and TX lines are crossed, rollover is where one end is flipped)
    I am pretty sure they call it the "roll over" cable. It comes with the unit as a DB9 to RJ45 cable. I have been able to reset the router to factory defaults, now I just need to be able to test it. Unfortunately I have very little router experience...

If you can't get a command prompt up, they probably sent power back through it. That may well be dead, but if you can get a command prompt up, there are diagnostics built into the router, you just gotta get to them. Treat it kinda like DOS, and you'll be fine.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I was able to login and reset the box. There are a few diagnostics, but IOS is really not that helpfull. Sure it will tell you the command line switches, but there is no way to just run any deep diags unless you know the scripting language for IOS...

The site Luke linked to has some info, but I am holding off right now until I get cisco on the line. Turns out this router IS under warranty and I am going have them walke me through basic diags.

I did find out more info from the customer, and based on my investigation, it may be a firmware and/or OS level issue. I should know more tomorrow...

I will explain later, I've got to get back to my IBM BladeCenter training...

If it's an IOS issue you need a Cisco Support Contract to be able to get the new firmware.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I would suggest going show log to see if there was any issues. Also issuing the show interface (int) command to see if there are any errors. If you can see anything wrong try and set it up in a lab environment to test connectivity. If there is no connectivity dump out the config and reflash it with the correct IOS and reload the config to see if that helps. If it is a hardware problem then I am sure cisco will help you troubleshoot.
    Need a sig