Thread: LCD Replacement Part?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default LCD Replacement Part?

It just struck me that I could probably order a new LCD panel for my currently cracked monitor if I could figure out the company that makes it or where Asus gets theirs from. or maybe I could find one similar enough that would work?

Anyways, I don't want to crack this thing open and risk further damage so I was wondering if anyone could track down what kind of LCD panel they use in my monitor or find a similar enough one that I could use as a replacement.

My monitor is an Asus PG221H. Any help would be much appreciated!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: LCD Replacement Part?

Honestly, it would probably be more expensive to get a replacement panel than to get a new monitor. You could even sell off the working parts on ebay. You might even break even

I'd be willing to spend up to the price of a regular 22" monitor for a replacement screen. This monitor is much more special than 99% of the monitors I've seen out there. I could just buy a new one, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as nice as this one is. I might have to end up doing that anyways though, since these monitors are discontinued. I paid $340 for this monitor by the way. As far as I know, its pretty much one of a kind...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

What about it do you need in a new one? The webcam, speakers or plethora of inputs?

Bare minimum I need quality speakers and the plethora of inputs. I use this monitor as a television as well as a computer display. As for cost, I wouldn't be willing to go over $200 for a new monitor. I'd be willing to go to $250 for a new display for this particular monitor though. Some other things I like about this monitor are; USB Ports, Subwoofer, Aluminum, Swivel Stand, Webcam and Stunning Aesthetics.

I don't think any LCDs are made anymore with subwoofers. The one you have is the only one I've ever seen or heard of.

Aluminum.. I think the only place you might see that under $200 would be an HP like one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176112
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176110

What you could do is use the old stand on a new monitor. It might require some modification, but hey, that's why we're here, right?

As for inputs, in that price range, if you want at least the resolution of the PG221H, the only inputs you're probably gonna be able to find on a new panel are D-SUB, DVI and HDMI (or some subset).

As for a webcam, ASUS and Apple are really the only manufacturers that I've seen put webcams on monitors.

This might be close-ish to what you're looking for:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236048

And that's exactly why I love my monitor so much. Not much else compares to it.

I say crack it open and find the make/model on the panel. If you get a new panel, you'll have to open up the monitor anyways.. might as well make sure you 100% have the right one before you order it and spend $$$.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro