Thread: Wanted: 8" floppy

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Wanted: 8" floppy

So, this is a really odd request, I know. Does anyone have a working 8" floppy drive that they would be willing to sell/trade? I'm looking to spend less than $50 or trade (preferable).

I'm working on building a system for the sole purpose of reading old storage media. So far, I've only got 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives and an old HP tape drive, but I recently realizes that this stuff is getting more and more expensive, so I gotta get moving on this

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Default Re: Wanted: 8" floppy

Wow, the last 8" Floppy that I worked with were MFM interface I think... do they even make a PCI to MFM board? that was in the time of ISA and Micro-channel wow I'm dating myself ... while your at you should see if you can get a 10" drive too. It was mostly a mainframe drive... but then you'd have it all

by the way I think I tossed all my 10" and 8" drives out 12-15 years ago...
    Still have my Zip Drive !! and my wife's LS120 drive
    CBB

Actually, the MBB that I'll be using for this system will hopefully be an old mATX AMD K6..assuming it still works.. and it has two EISA connectors. So, yeah, I'll need a controller card for it too, but I figured one step at a time, right?

lol i was digging through my crap and stumbled across an ancient ISA modem, think it was a 14.4k one. remember crawling on the net on a crappy dialup connection? wow.

as for the title of this thread, I just gotta say it. I thought for a second you were lookin for a horsecock. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    lol i was digging through my crap and stumbled across an ancient ISA modem, think it was a 14.4k one. remember crawling on the net on a crappy dialup connection? wow.

as for the title of this thread, I just gotta say it. I thought for a second you were lookin for a horsecock. haha.
    lol, I remember when my buddy got a 14.4 modem and we hit up the BBSs in town. We dragged the computer out to the living room so we could reach the phone line.

I didn't even know they made 8" disks.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

haha I remember buying a 50ft phone cord so we wouldnt have to move the computer. good times. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    So, this is a really odd request, I know. Does anyone have a working 8" floppy drive that they would be willing to sell/trade? I'm looking to spend less than $50 or trade (preferable).

I'm working on building a system for the sole purpose of reading old storage media. So far, I've only got 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives and an old HP tape drive, but I recently realizes that this stuff is getting more and more expensive, so I gotta get moving on this
    Let me check in the old pile in the back of the warehouse...

Need any other ancient media devices?

Quote Originally Posted by Bopher View Post
    lol, I remember when my buddy got a 14.4 modem and we hit up the BBSs in town. We dragged the computer out to the living room so we could reach the phone line.

I didn't even know they made 8" disks.
    My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler... It was a standard accessory to that 50lb portable computer with the 4" screen I had to lug with me on field calls...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    Let me check in the old pile in the back of the warehouse...

Need any other ancient media devices?
    That would be awesome. Anything that still works (or might be made to work). Controller cards would be awesome too, but possibly not as rare (depending on the interface, I suppose). I do have an old ISA SCSI controller back in my piles at my parents house, that I know still works..I think it's Ultrawide SCSI, but that might be completely wrong, seeing as how it's been, like, 6 years since I saw the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    My first modem was a 300 baud acoustic coupler... It was a standard accessory to that 50lb portable computer with the 4" screen I had to lug with me on field calls...
    Heheh, nice. I'm a little sad I missed all that. My first modem was a 56k. And the internet existed by then.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

The AMD K6 rig I have has thr MFM interface