Thread: Best place for a wireless router?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Best place for a wireless router?

Top floor or bottom?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Best place for a wireless router?

Antenna configuration? Location of most common use? House size?

I've got mine hung on the back of the monitor stand on my main rig. It work pretty good that way, wifes computer is at the other end of the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

My house is two levels (main and finished basement) and I keep mine on the main, second level. My in-laws are getting a router and they have a basement, main level and second level.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I would say main floor centered. I have a Netgear and I get signal all over the house even out to the patio. I even have a wireless bridge in the basement and hook up computers for updates and testing and notice no loss in speed. But I just have a little 2 bedroom townhouse with main floor, upstairs and basement, so they might have more area to cover.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    My house is two levels (main and finished basement) and I keep mine on the main, second level. My in-laws are getting a router and they have a basement, main level and second level.
    I'd go main floor then, depending on where they'll be using their PC/laptop.

I've got a 2 storey+ basement as well, and mine is in the mechanical room in the basement. Works pretty good for me, but I rarely use the laptop on the second floor.. i have a data jack in the bedroom which I use mostly for speed anyways (gigabit ethernet in the house).

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I would definitely avoid having an AP in the basement. For the basement + 2 above ground floors, then yeah, I would say go with the first above-ground floor. I guess with normal house sizes antenna orientation won't really make a huge difference..bah...been working with too much enterprise stuff recently

Manuals always state to place a wireless access point as high as possible.

I am forced in my home to have it in my bedroom on the second floor, I live in a three floor house. The third being a converted loft.

so mine is a centralized set-up. when I am on the first/third floor the signal is very low and its my assumption that if the access point was on one of the other floors there would be a dead zone.

I live in a very old house using a bt homehub so I can understand the significant signal drop on the different floors
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

A good place would be in one of the above ground rooms with the least walls or obstacles.
    Or you could get the signal booster antennas and install them upside down on the roof of each room.

Make on wooden box near by your PC setup otherwise you can use this one in your bedroom.