Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: ideas needed (cooling problem)

Default ideas needed (cooling problem)

okay, so, unfortunately no pictures, but here goes.

I have a PC with a radeon 4850 and two ati firemv 2250s. This will soon be three 2250s to give me 8 monitors.

The Case is an old Cooler Master ATCS - it's all aluminium and looks smart, two front fans, one rear, and a massive cooler on the processor (it an AMD Tri-core overclocked from 2.8 to 3.2 ghz)

Occasionally, after extended use, (unsurprisingly) i get graphics driver errors, all six screens flicker a few times, and I get a bluescreen and the PC shuts down.

Should I:
    a) build a ducted housing and put a massive fan on the back bigger than the existing 80mm hole
    b) put on a massive side fan
    c) a + b
    d) buy a new case

problem is with the side fan, I have a big power supply (550w, soon gonna be 800), and the power supply has more airflow than the rear fan, so if i push all that hot air up the case, i'll burn out my power supply. Also, with the graphics cards, the Radeon sucks air out the back of the case and the others direct it forward into the case....

Any ideas would be great

Default Re: ideas needed (cooling problem)

Can you post a picture of the case as it is now?

Also, identify the locations, size, and direction of the fans on the case. Lets see if we can just clear up the airflow to help cool it better.

Also, what is the ambient temperature of the room?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

no photos sorry but this is a fair representation

ambient temperature of the room varies. it's summer, but I'm in the UK, so a maximum of 25 to 30 degrees C

Oh and noone suggest liquid cooling.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I vote for liquid cooling lol

seriously though, I'd get an a/m cooler for the GPUs or maybe a ~250mm fan for the side of the case blowing in

Giant fan blowing over the video cards, definitely. What does the PSU have for a fan? Can you upgrade the rear exhaust fan, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

What kind of fans are you using? They may not be powerful enough? Have you thought about after market coolers?

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...me=VGA-Cooling

Aside from that, there is water cooling, but it seems like you don't want to go that route. Not that I blame you, that can get pretty expensive pretty fast. lol

You could always buy a new case too. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make for most cases though. But say you bought something like the Antec Twelve Hundred, I'm pretty sure that would make a difference, but its pricey.

What about modding? Have you thought about adding more fans wherever you can? You could add fan(s) onto the side panel positioned over the graphics cards, or you could add a fan to the top of the case which would be smart since heat rises, so that would provide an outlet for that.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

PSU has bottom and rear fans so no problem there. Thing is, i already have too many fans blowing INTO the case and not enough blowing out. push all that hot air up the case, with the puny rear fan, it all goes up through the PSU, which is sucking up some seriously hot air already.

time for an antec nine hundred i reckon

Is your side panel vented already, or have a fan?

I would try a duct to direct more air straight to the cards, and then have them dump out the side of the case either through a vent, or an exhaust fan.

Also, I'd replace the rear fan with a larger one if possible, or at least a higher CFM fan. You'll get some more noise from it, but it's still going to be quieter than GPU fans running full speed.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

you want more blowing in than out. positive air pressure is better than negative.