Thread: motors

ATX Mental Case

Default motors

ok, i am building a missile turret. i want the turret to be able to tilt up and down. this will be a heavy turret. how would i go about getting that hooked up to a motor so i can control it?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: motors

http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/u.../Overview.aspx

That may or may not help, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read missile turret.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

ATX Mental Case

the idea i have is a very large case that will have 4 rackmount computers in the turret alone.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Holy macaroni batman! That should be pretty sweet. I was thinking like usb turret or something. Not a "I'm going to start the apocalypse" turret. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

No a turret as in Starcraft turret. Like his other thread asking for ideas.

Guess you liked my idea. Is it from SC or SC2?

You might wanna look into some stepper motors, you could hook it up to a joystick even and have manual control.

-CollinstheClown

Found this one on Blogspot.
    Airsoft Turret.

ATX Mental Case

i wasent feeling the SC ones, so i think im going to go with this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Launcher_2.jpg

so it would have to be some pretty strong motors. also, i definitely want manual control via joystick or even keyboard arrow keys

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

steppers are only so strong and are not the solution for this. For what you want to do look into liner actuators, Ac motors, and hydraulics

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Some thing like a speed controller could do the trick. I used a Scorpion XL for R2SRV it weighs about 75-95 LBs and ran on 2 100W Scooter motors. The Scorpion XL can be controlled by a RC transmitter/Receiver setup or a Micro controller (with a little work a PIC could attached to the PC Via USB to drive it... might want to hit Renderman up for help on that) You could also use a Phidget Servo interface to drive the Scorpion XL from the PC. A little VB6 or VB .NET interface maybe integrate a webcam for "sighting" .... Could be cool!

I hope that gives you a direction for the controls... If your asking what size motors to use.... We need to know the weight, how fast you want it to move, and if you plan on gear reduction...what you have (or we can work something out for you).... I'd lean toward cheap (harbor freight) 18-24V Cordless drill motors.... if you get the drills on special (like $20 each) you'll have built in gear reduction! If you plan to go that way, there's an Servo article (some time in the last year or so) that walks you step by step trough setting the gear ratio from one of these drills... If you need it let me know I'll look it up for you, and send you a link to it!

Good Luck!
    CBB

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

PM sent with Link to Article. Happy Reading!!!

CBB