Thread: Toolchest of The Modgods: SXRguyinMA entry

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Exclamation Toolchest of The Modgods: SXRguyinMA entry

Alright I may have gone a tad overboard with this, but what the hell.

Have you ever had an idea for an AMAZING modder's toolchest? One with anything you can think of, all at your fingertips? Ever feel like sharing that idea? Possibly with hastily scribbled drawings (coffee ringed in my case) and a reason for why you'd want it that way?
    I took this and ran with it. I also asked if it was to be just a box, or rather an "area" instead, and was told whatever I wanted. So, running with these ideas, A lot of time, effort and thought has gone into my entry.

It started with the toolbox. Then the bench, and so on and so on, until I ended up with what you see here.

A lot of the things here I downloaded from Google's 3D Warehouse and the Sketchup Components Collection (SCC). A lot of it I drew myself (The benches, the table, the pegboard hooks, the cardboard box, the IPS Weld-on jar, the acrylic sheets and rods, the dremel, the soldering iron and solder roll, and a few other things I believe). Most of the models I got from the previously mentioned sites I modified in some way (colors, sizes, textures, etc.).

So without further time-wasting, I give you my entry. Click on the pics for bigger versions. If you want to view the model in SketchUp, shoot me a PM and I'll email you the file (66MB, too big for the warehouse's 10MB limit). Info and breakdown after the pics.

Alright so heres the breakdown.

The Box
    I wanted something crazy, cool and that I've never seen before. So I decided to make a carbon fiber and aluminum toolbox. The box is very similar to the Craftsman Professional series box that I have. The box itself is structurally red anodized aluminum, with carbon fiber sheets for the panels.
    The box itself houses the computer. A high-end i7 rig thats liquid cooled via two 320 rads. Theres a 250mm fan in the side of the box for air intake. Also there are two 64GB SATA SSDs in RAID for the rig. The monitor is mounted to the top lid. There is a key switch that starts it up, and also prevents unwanted computer and tool usage. Turn the key, and while the computer is booting, it unlocks all the drawers and the top lid swings open. I mounted a media reader and slot-load CD drive above the main drawer (the open one). It would have a wireless keyboard and mouse for portability. The LEDs for HDD activity, status, wireless signal, etc are located on the RH side of the upper half.

The box's contents include the basic hand tools:

- Wrenches (both metric and SAE)
    - Sockets (both metric and SAE, and shallow and deep, as well as "T"-handle sockets)
    - Screwdrivers (large and small flat- and phillips-head, as well as micro-sized computer tools, also including center-punches, small picks, connector tools, files, etc.)
    - Allen wrenches (allen sockets, "L" wrenches, straight wrenches, "T"-handles)
    - Pliers (including needle nose, standard, vice-grips, channel-locks, snips, safety wire pliers, etc.)
    - Electronic specialties (test PSU, volt meter, scientific calculator, soldering pen, helping hands, solder, plenty of heat-shrink, cable-sleeving, connectors, wire crimpers, zip-ties, and of course cabling).
    - Spare parts containers (nuts, bolts, screws, clips, tubing clamps, safety wire, etc.)
    - Specialty tools (oil filter wrenches, air tools, flywheel pullers, micrometers, calipers, torques wrenches, tire irons, spoke wrenches, rubber hammers, prybars, tap-and-die set, etc).
    - Dremel accessories (cutting wheels, mandrels, polishing wheels and compound, engravers, side-cutters, etc.)
    - Drill bits (metric and SAE sizes, TiN coated)
    - Chemicals (sealants, adhesives, cleaners, polishes, super glue, fiberglass resin, bondo, fiberglass and carbon fiber matting, latex gloves)

On the floor in front of the box is an anti-static shock-absorbing floor mat (to keep your feet from getting sore).

The Room
    Basically the area itself is a garage-turned-workshop. The floor is freshly done and tiled with garage floor epoxy for easy cleaning and durability. There is a large air compressor in the corner with a hose reel for running larger air tools (die grinders, impact guns, etc.). Remember, this is my workshop, and I'm also a gearhead, so I need to be able to slide the main table out of the way and roll in my jet ski, my truck or a motorcycle to work on it.

The bench next to the box contains a few basic modding tools including a drill press, adjustable work light, bench sander and bench grinder. Also, mounted to the bench are a pair of vices for various uses. Under the bench resides my keg of Monster Energy drink. The tap is on the RH side of the table next to the vice. Also underneath are the CO2 bottle (for the keg), a small fire extinguisher and a smaller air compressor (for airbrushing, etc).

Above this bench is just your standard shelf. Filled with magazines, books, modding articles, DVDs, and of course a nice pair of Bose speakers hooked to both the computer and TV

To the right of that bench is the hang out area. This includes a mini-fridge, table, stools and a flat-screen TV. Very useful for taking a breather or catching up on the latest MotoGP race action.

In the center of the room is the main working table. Its a sturdy oak table, sufficiently lacquered for durability and to keep splinters and whatnot from getting all over your work.

Across from the main table is the secondary bench. This bench houses a welder, plasma cutter and scroll saw. Also, what modders workshop would be complete without some acrylic sheets and cement?

Well there you have it, my entry. I would want this workshop to have everything I'd need, from tools to internet to TV. A place where I can go work, mod, and just chill.

Default Re: Toolchest of The Modgods: SXRguyinMA entry

If thats a tad overboard, I'd hate to see your idea of overkill. But I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

final submission? Contest ends tomorrow.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

yep, she's ready to roll