Thread: My 3870 X2 Crashes

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default My 3870 X2 Crashes

On my 3870 X2 card it has three small LED's that don't turn on at all on boot up. Once I try to play a game or if I have multiple windows open, my screen goes black, the computer stays on and my video card fan goes crazy fast!! On the back of the card, one red LED comes on and stays on. I can't find anything from ATI or anyone on what these LED's represent and what, if anything, can solve the problem.

For now I ordered at HD 4890 to replace it, but I would still like to know what is causing this.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: My 3870 X2 Crashes

Did you try re-seating the card? Maybe its just loose or something. I think the LED's usually represent power or something to do with it. So make sure everything is plugged in correctly and not loose or anything. That would actually make sense now that I think about it. You could be drawing too much power when playing games and so it crashes. There was also a person who said that the LED flashes when his card overheats. So that may be the problem too.

Edit: Seems like people usually fix the problem by unplugging all the power connections and then replugging them in. As in, a loose connection somewhere.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Also, I don't believe those to be on the reference design. I recommend contacting the board partner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

mine has done that in the past when I was doing something pretty graphics-intensive. the screens would go black, fan comes on high and a red LED or two would turn on.

after I took the computer down to put my new mobo in and paint it, etc, it hasn't happened since

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    mine has done that in the past when I was doing something pretty graphics-intensive. the screens would go black, fan comes on high and a red LED or two would turn on.

after I took the computer down to put my new mobo in and paint it, etc, it hasn't happened since
    So you took it apart? If so, then it sounds like there was just a loose connection or something and by taking it apart and of course reassembling it, that fixed the loose connection wherever it was.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

My 4890 will be here soon anyhow
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I took the computer apart to do more case stuff, but thats it. didnt even think that possibly re-seating and re-connecting everything may have solved it

I was just playing COD4 for a few hours on max settings and not so much as a blip

I will give it a whirl. I'll still replace it, but at least I'll know it works
    WH1T3 0U7

I disconnected everything and tried again and it still happened. I created a support ticket from Diamond to see if they can help.
    WH1T3 0U7