Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would a fan controller be worthwhile in a store bought compaq?

Fresh Paint

Default Would a fan controller be worthwhile in a store bought compaq?

I have no control over my fans with speed fan, but they are also stock fans.

I am going to be upgrading my cooling soon and i want fan control and one of those cool looking fan controllers.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Would a fan controller be worthwhile in a store bought compaq?

Hey sure why not? Nothing more annoying that a bunch of loud fans and a controller would definitely fix that. I would recommend looking into Yate Loon or Noctua for some good fan brands if you're planning to upgrade. After-market is always better than stock. Yate Loon has an ultra quiet line that moves a great amount of air while being whisper quiet. You may just want to upgrade your fans instead of getting a controller? It would be the better option anyways. You get more airflow which is good while also getting a quieter PC.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint

I was actually looking into both fans and a controller, right now the computer is dead silent, but I would like to have control over my fans if needed.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Hey sure why not? Nothing more annoying that a bunch of loud fans and a controller would definitely fix that. I would recommend looking into Yate Loon or Noctua for some good fan brands if you're planning to upgrade. After-market is always better than stock. Yate Loon has an ultra quiet line that moves a great amount of air while being whisper quiet. You may just want to upgrade your fans instead of getting a controller? It would be the better option anyways. You get more airflow which is good while also getting a quieter PC.
    By the way thanks for your quick reply.

Alrighty. Would you like help on selecting the perfect fan and controller for you? We'll need to know more information if you do. Like what kind of controller are you looking into? Interior or exterior? Meaning, one that is placed into a 5.25" or 3.5" bay spot or one that is placed inside of the case and out of sight? What kind of fans do you have? 80mm, 120mm, etc? How many fans do you need? What's your cost limit? There are fans out there that cost only $5 and then there are some that cost $20. Likewise, there are controllers out there that can cost as low as $10 and all the way up to $100+.

I'm not sure how much you know about this kind of stuff which is why I ask, so don't take offense if you're kind of like "duh". lol

Quote Originally Posted by 91sport_tn View Post
    By the way thanks for your quick reply.
    Hey no problem. See a need, fill a need! (I cannot believe I just quoted a children's movie. lol)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Fresh Paint

I'm sorry, I am not good with typing, I am more of a face to face type person.
    I was only asking if I upgrade my fans and buy a controller would I be able to adjust my fan speed (which I currently can not do)
    Sorry for the confusion.

If so would I have to connect them in a different manner? Other than the 3 pin connectors?

Fresh Paint

By worthwhile I meant would I gain the ability to adjust my fan speed.

oh don't worry about it, I know exactly what you meant and what you were asking. I was just offering help in case you wanted it.

Well, there are two types of fans as far as I know. There are fans that connect through Molex and then there are fans that connect through 3 pin or 4 pin connectors. So, I guess three actually. Its important to know which connector your fans are using so you can buy the appropriate fan controller.

Molex

3 Pin

4 Pin

The 3 pin and 4 pin types can also be identified by how many wires there are. 3 pin has 3, 4 pin has 4.

Fresh Paint

Oh, ok, thanks for the heads up.

When purchasing, as long as everything matches up, I'm good to go?

Thank you for your patients with me.

That's how I understand it. Just make sure you get the right type of controller and everything should be A-Okay.