Thread: 160gb fail...on to 1tb. bad sata cable

Default 160gb fail...on to 1tb. bad sata cable

So originally my WD 160gb hdd tested as having bad sectors. I replaced it with a 1tb Seagate Barracuda which ran fine up until recently. I tried everything and nothing worked, until I replaced the sata cable. Everything is good(for now ). Could the sata cable be the reason why the 160gb said it had bad sectors? I ask because I'm trying to rma the 160gb and was wondering if i should retest it.
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: 160gb fail...on to 1tb. bad sata cable

its worth a shot. I'd pop it back in with a new sata cable and see if it works

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    its worth a shot. I'd pop it back in with a new sata cable and see if it works
    Yeah, so just as a second hard drive? Then I could run a test with ultimate boot cd and choose that drive? or just pull the 1tb and replace with 160gb to test...
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

ya i am wondering about that myself, i've gone through 3 hdd's in the same spot, i switched brands and changed the power cable, but have the same sata cable.

i went from a molex to sata plug to a normal sata plug hoping thats the issue.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Its a sucky position to be in. Frustrating.

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    Yeah, so just as a second hard drive? Then I could run a test with ultimate boot cd and choose that drive? or just pull the 1tb and replace with 160gb to test...
    Yes, as long as you don't have the boot files on the 160. The system should detect your TB drive as the master and boot from it. If the 160 is still formatted, it should have a drive letter in My Computer. Otherwise go to Computer Management>Disk Management, it should show up there where you can format into partitions.. If it is failing, you should be able to check it without it effecting the OS since it isn't a boot drive.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::