Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell precision 670 case!

Resident Alcoholic

Default Dell precision 670 case!

Has anyone had any experience with this case?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...ec_670_300.jpg

I found a tiny computer shop today tucked away in this tiny little building in my city which I have never noticed before! A friend took me there, it is a TINY room, the walls are lined with computer cases from the floor to the ceiling I said to the guy working there 'Im looking to buy a new computer case' and he showed me about 5 'cool gaming cases'! I replied that 'i was actualy looking for something a bit wider and plainer' and he looked confused so I explained that I wanted to mount a 15" lcd screen into the side of it... He then crossed his arms, smiled, and replied 'NOW you're talking business with me!!!'
    He offered me a dell case for 10 quid! (thats about 20 dollars!) because he had not been able to sell it because people thought that it was too big! in return for such a cheap price I have to bring the case in to show him once Ive finished it And he also said that if it is of high enough quality he may offer me a job there doing upgrades for people and possibly come custom case mod work!!

So ANYWAY I have had way too much coffee and im talking too much, sorry! where was i?...oh yeah, if anyone has had any experience with this case or similar dell cases it would be great to get some info on it before I buy it!
    Cheers
    H

P.S. I just remembered, he said that he would also give me the stock 650w power supply that came with it for no extra cost

Default Re: Dell precision 670 case!

i would pick it up, it looks very mod worthy. I wouldnt trust the psu tho

Overclocked

I don't know a whole lot about dell comps but I think a lot of them have a particular way of only using dell motherboards. If that's true of your project it may dissapoint when it comes to upgrading... you should probably do some research on that.

Resident Alcoholic

With regards to the psu - I am running a 350 watt psu salvaged from an old win98 pc on my moderately higher end system so anything would be better than that!

with regards to the mobo fitting, I will definately researxh that thanks for bringing it to my attention! Wouldnt I be able to just drill my own holes and insert the clips from another case to mount the motherboard though?
    Cheers
    H

Overclocked

possibly but sometimes the I think dell mobo is oddly shaped/sized

Resident Alcoholic

ok well i guess that with the price as it is, It doesn't matter if it doesnt work!
    Cheers
    H

Overclocked

yeah I agree, good price... And maybe you can upgrade it if you want to.

Resident Alcoholic

Ok well I had a look at it in the shop and realised that it has been designed in a stupidly complicated way (the front bezel and side are one peice which opens apart, the drive bays are all connected to the side etc. etc) I decided not to buy it, and to go for a basic stock case instead! (the guy gave it to me for 13 quid so only 3 more than the dell anyway! Im going to do my work experience there and hopefuly get a job there afterwards
    Modding of the new case will begin in 2 weeks time as Im off snowboarding on friday!
    Peace
    h

Edit: Oh and by the way thanks for the heads up on the motherboard mounting! It was completely different! I could have gotten arround it pretty easily but it's not worth the extra work!

Anodized

I just had a look at the specks from the gear that was in that case, and damn.... what a monster, Does the guy that wanted to sell you the case still have all the components???
    - I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
    - Douglas Adams -

Yeah, won't be able to anything with that case.

Its heavy, opens like a swinging door. Drive bays, wire management and such are mounted on it. So, its a no go for modding.