Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Penny

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default US Penny

Is there any real use for it?? I mean seriously, I was just thinking about that. Why do we still have pennies? Why not just stop making them?

Interesting: There are approx. 200,035,318,672 pennies in US circulation. Anyone want to take a guess at how many dollars that is? or how much that would weigh if you collected them all??? lol wow.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: US Penny

No, there is no use for it. It's a huge waste of money and resources. And now they're making NEW pennies! That means that someone somewhere used my tax dollars to pay someone to retool the #$@&* mint to strike new versions of useless coins that no one wants. Brilliant. Clearly there was no better use for those materials, or the man-hours involved.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

I vote we melt them all down and create a giant statue of Abraham Lincoln and put it next to the Statue of Liberty because she looks kind of lonely.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Right on. At least it would be used for *something*. Right now they're just an annoyance that most of the people that use them would rather do without.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Interesting: There are approx. 200,035,318,672 pennies in US circulation. Anyone want to take a guess at how many dollars that is? or how much that would weigh if you collected them all??? lol wow.
    That would be 2,000,353,186.72 (thats 2 billion three hundred fifty three thousand one hundred eighty six dollars and sevety two cents)

It would weight approx. 5,000,882,966.80 grams if they were all made after 1982. More if made before!

-CollinstheClown

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

If we didn't have pennies they'd have to change all of the $xx.00, $xx.95 and $xx.99's to something odd like $xx.92.

I think that would be more annoying than having pennies. Designing the penny and applying it probably took less than 5 cents of our tax dollars so I don't have a problem with it. It's been a tradition, if you will, of the US to change currency design. As a collector, I feel it's somewhat cool.

5 000 882 967 grams = 11025060 pounds
    ~5,500 tons

That's a lot of weight! Now just for comparison, how much does the Statue of Liberty weigh?

Why couldn't they just round everything off to the nearest nickle? Something costs a dollar, then pay a dollar. Tax? Round it off to the nearest nickle?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Why couldn't they just round everything off to the nearest nickle? Something costs a dollar, then pay a dollar. Tax? Round it off to the nearest nickle?
    My thought exactly.

As for changing them, it took more than 5 cents. Maybe 5 cents of MY money, yes, but it was a lot more than 5 cents. How many dies did they have to cast? How much labor went into the design? It's a small number in the grand scheme of things but it's absolutely pointless and could have been better used elsewhere. Some family in Philadelphia, Denver or San Francisco would have been thrilled to have that money and you and I would never have known the difference.

Wouldn't it be just perfect if we found out that the dies were imported from China?

Because someone needs to make a case from them . Imagine getting a bunch of pre 1982 us pennies (95% copper), soldering them end to end to make a case. I'd love to get a bunch of 2p UK coins (pre-1992) to try this...

Before you laugh too much, check this out...
    http://www.littlegorgeousthings.com/cofuartofjos.html

Thats awesome! Forget the melting part of my statue, just solder them all together! lol

Not too bad of a price either. Say it takes 700 pennies to create a case, that's only 7 dollars. lol

Even it took 7000 pennies, that's only 70 dollars and I have a feeling that would be enough to create multiple cases.

Why can't you buy materials that cheap? If you bought that much copper or nickle circles it would cost you way more wouldn't it?