Thread: Need help choosing Digital Photo Frame

Default Need help choosing Digital Photo Frame

hi, my mom is looking at some digital photo frames and i want to see which of the following is the best.

Sony 9" wide DPFD92 which my mom can get for 149.99 + some air miles

vs.

Samsung 8" SPF-85P
    which we can get for the price in the link 148.99

vs.

Samsung 10" SPF-105P which we can get for the price in the link 129.99

i'm leaning towards the last one (samsung 10") but wold like it to have wide screen.

i looked through the specs and it seems the 10" is the best choice, minus the wide screen.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Need help choosing Digital Photo Frame

That's a tough decision. They vary so little that you're literally looking at them under a microscope. lol

I say just get her the keychain. :p

I kind of like this one. Has some decent reviews on newegg too. Simple to use to boot. Just plug it in and drag and drop the pictures. Kind of nice looking as well.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...84&cid=CAM.534

But... out of your choices I would go with the Samsung. They usually make pretty quality displays. Also, when you google search it, they all look widescreen... so... I don't know if the picture is wrong or if the model number is wrong or what is going on there.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Probably not the advice you really want to hear but...

I bought my mother one of these a couple years ago when they were all new and sparkly and to be honest, it turned out to be a big waste of money - loaded it up with a load of photographs and after the novelty wore off (about 3 weeks) it went into a cupboard, never to be seen again....

Just make sure it's something you/she really wants and hopefully will use....

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

I would go with the Sony. The buttons on the front of others would annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Probably not the advice you really want to hear but...

I bought my mother one of these a couple years ago when they were all new and sparkly and to be honest, it turned out to be a big waste of money - loaded it up with a load of photographs and after the novelty wore off (about 3 weeks) it went into a cupboard, never to be seen again....

Just make sure it's something you/she really wants and hopefully will use....
    +1 to this.

my ex-wife and I came up with the great idea of giving one to her mother for christmas and getting the family to pitch in on it. so we got her one with a 4gb sd card (which at the time was a pretty big one :p ) and a bunch of different frames you could interchange them with. she used it for a while, and everyone thought it was cool. now, the thing sits behind her stuff on top of her organ and doesnt even get turned on anymore. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

My aunt and uncle have one. They never turn it off and are always adding pictures to it. I think its only like 5" though, they got it years ago. It just depends on how big on pictures people are. Like with theirs, they go places and do things with family and especially grand children all the time, so they're always updating it with more and more pictures.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

thanks for all the info guys. it's a gift for my dad from my mom. i can see the thing not getting used, but at the same time i think it would get used one in a while. my dad is a amateur photographer, got the D60 last birthday, so it might get used a bit more.

and your right it seems to be wide screen, so i think it will be the samsung. but those buttons on the side are a bit annoying.

+rep for the help. will let you know how it goes, and maybe do a small review of it. the samsung says it can also be used as a secondary monitor

EDIT: your welcome slaveofconvention, got your 6th rep box
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

heh - cheers :p

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey