Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New WD Elements EHDD?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default New WD Elements EHDD?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136388

It looks like a new external hard drive from WD. Its a bit cheaper than the Passport line. The only difference is that the passport has like transfer encryption or something like that. Anyways, looks like they're updating the Elements line with these new ones which apparently no longer require a secondary power source. Good stuff! At 500GB for $99, I think I'll start saving my pennies for one.

Nice design improvement WD! Also liking the consumer affordable attitude!
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: New WD Elements EHDD?

The reviewers are reporting 465GB.... why does it say 500GB then?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    I guess they want another class action.

I think its because they consider 1000MB to be 1GB where 1024MB is actually 1GB. So annoying that companies do this. I don't get how they can get away with it. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't make it true. 1GB is 1024. Should there not be a period set in stone at the end of that sentence?

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

It'll be the hard disk manufacturers standard lie. They claim 1GB is 1,000,000,000 bytes - when really it should be 1024x1024x1024 (1,073,741,824)...

I have several 1TB drives in my server which format down to 931GB - it never used to be an issue when they started doing this back in the days of 1.2 and 2GB drives - the difference was miniscule - but as capacities have grown the difference has grown too... Makes sense that if you "lose" 70GB on 1TB you'd lose 35 on 0.5TB...

It'll never change unless all of the manufacturers agree to do so at the same time - if just one of them was to change, it'd look like they had smaller drives than the competition - imagine a non-technical person looking at two drives for the same price - one at 500GB and one at 465GB - they'd most likely go for the "bigger" one even though it's actually the same size...

Other than being "honest" there is no incentive for the HD manufacturers to make the change - all they'll be doing is reducing the size of every hard disk in the range, for no real benefit that an accountant can see....

EDIT: See what happens when you talk too much lol - Zephik got there first - his post wasn't there when I started typing

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

eh. it doesn't really bother me too much, because I know what I am getting when I buy a "1tb" drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Anyways, looks like they're updating the Elements line with these new ones which apparently no longer require a secondary power source.
    my wife's WD Passport doesnt require a secondary power source either

Why don't they add a few more gigabytes to even it out? Then they wouldn't have to advertise it as less. Hell, it could be a marketing point. Tired of not getting your full capacity? Then buy ours because we use the correct standard! etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    my wife's WD Passport doesnt require a secondary power source either
    Yep, the Passports have never required a secondary power source as far as I've known. I own one too and LOVE it. Best external hard drive I've ever owned. The Elements line used to require one though if I"m not mistaken? These ones don't and they're cheaper than the Passports. Sweet!

Edit: The old Element drives do require a secondary power source. However, they also go up to 1TB. Also, while on the WD website, it looks like they are preparing for a 1TB Passport! Score!

The drive is pre-formated FAT for compatibility. The drive may have a capacity of 500GB RAW. Once you put a format on the drive the File Allocation table takes up some over head on the drive. The bigger the drive the more space it takes to store the File Allocation Table.

They give the RAW storage capacities because different formats (ie. FAT, FAT32, NTFS, ext3) use up different amounts of space to store the FAT.