Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In The market for a new lcd

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: In The market for a new lcd

A good computer monitor is way higher than 1080p

My $200 monitor is 1680 x 1050 wich is like 30 pixels off on the y axis. Alot of monitor above 22inches are well beyond 1080p.

I never understood the ungodly high price of HD televisions when computer monitors cost much less and have so much better specs. I'm not sure if your just paying for the tuner or some sort of special programming or if its simply because its labeled as an "HDTV." Thats why I purchased a monitor that I could use with my xbox. Why spend 1000+ on a TV when i can spend 200 and get close to the same resolution. I always sit right on top of the screen when I game anyway.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    I never understood the ungodly high price of HD televisions when computer monitors cost much less and have so much better specs.
    Until you get past the 30" mark, then they become even more expensive than regular televisions. Televisions are much cheaper for your larger displays. But if you're in the market for up to 28", then I definitely agree that you're getting a much better deal by getting a PC monitor. But damn, once you hit that 30" they ROCKET in price and for the same price you could get a much bigger television of a still decent quality.

You could get six 22" monitors for the same price of one 30"+ monitor. Hmmm, I wonder which is the better deal. lol

Try to get ones with screens that almost go to the edge and then mod them together onto one giant panel. BAM! ...I don't know how big that is, but its pretty big! lol (the only downside would be the lines separating the monitors. I wonder if that's work-around-able? Maybe take the casings off... I guess it depends on if the LCD panels themselves go to the edge or if they have edges built into them? Hmmm.)
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Until you get past the 30" mark, then they become even more expensive than regular televisions. Televisions are much cheaper for your larger displays. But if you're in the market for up to 28", then I definitely agree that you're getting a much better deal by getting a PC monitor. But damn, once you hit that 30" they ROCKET in price and for the same price you could get a much bigger television of a still decent quality.

You could get six 22" monitors for the same price of one 30"+ monitor. Hmmm, I wonder which is the better deal. lol

Try to get ones with screens that almost go to the edge and then mod them together onto one giant panel. BAM! ...I don't know how big that is, but its pretty big! lol (the only downside would be the lines separating the monitors. I wonder if that's work-around-able? Maybe take the casings off... I guess it depends on if the LCD panels themselves go to the edge or if they have edges built into them? Hmmm.)
    You could probably integrate one of those boxes that they use to drive set ups with an extraordinarily high number of monitors. I don't know what they are called but I think they make it so that One video out put on your computer goes to X number of monitors as if they were one screen.

And I wasn't aware that monitors above 30 inches were so pricey, never bothered to look at anything that big. I honestly don't know what I would do with a thirty inch monitor lol. Oh yeah i do, I would wish I had a second one to sit right next to it.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Boom! Head shot! <--That pretty much sums up the first thing I would do with a 30" monitor. lol

For comparison: 28-Inch Monitor vs 30-Inch Monitor

Price Difference? Approx. $900. lol How that makes sense I don't know.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I just bought a 22" Samsung. for $245. You will struggle to find a good 24" for $300 AUD. You will have to spend a bit more Mid-High $300 range.
    Need a sig

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Again, it comes down to the fact that 30" monitors are (atm) universally made with a massively higher resolution than anything else...at all (well, outside custom, medical imaging, some military, etc).

There are of course exceptions, but in general, the following is a good guideline for what resolutions different size monitors generally are:
    For comparison, incase anyone doesn't know, (non-interlaced) TVs are:
    480p: 640x480
    720p: 1280x720
    1080p: 1920x1080

:MONITORS:
    Non-widescreen:
    15-20": 1280x1024
    20-21": 1600x1200
    Widescreen (16:9):
    17-16": 1366x768
    19-20": 1600x900
    21+": 1920x1080
    23": 2048x1152 (occasionally)
    Widescreen (16:10):
    17-19": 1440X900
    19-22": 1680X1050
    24-28": 1920X1200
    30" : 2560x1600
    (30" is the current max size for consumer monitors)

Note the MASSIVE jump when you hit 30". That is why 30" panels are so much more expensive. TVs are just more expensive because it costs more to make the larger panels.

@luciusad2004: This might be what you're thinking of.

yeah that looks similar. The ones I saw were built to go along with these custom stands that would let you take a large number of monitors and arrange them in a large square or rectangle. They came in all different sizes. Much more than just three screens. It was cool. I think it was posted here a LONG time ago.