Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shelob, Attercob, aka Spider

Case Wizard

Default Shelob, Attercop, aka Spider

Closer I need some new ways to scare off the little ones that come to my house, plus get under the nerves of one of my Neighbors. I have been wanting to make an robot spider for a while. So this will be a full run to make sure I have everything I need, and to test the basic idea.

Time to get started ...

I have a few idea that will require fiberglass and all of the way up to Carbon Fiber. Right now I am getting the hang od using Fiber glass 1st so I don't make to many mistakes with the carbon fiber seeing that cost quite a bit more. Now for those that know me have seen the below picture, time to show all what the template is going to be used for.

and

The template was made from an old 18" ball light. I covered it will polyacrylic to harden the paper to with stand me pushing on it as I did the 1st layer of Fiber Glass. I then used Bondo to try and level out some of the bumps. Trust me they were a lot worse for where before the bondo. Then I did another layer of fiber glass. Once that dried, I put on my face mask and cut it into half, two get the pictures above.

I then got 8 right angle 1/2" PVC pipe and 5 10' 1/2" PVC pipe. Cutting 20 pieces out of 3 of those at 10x18" and 10x22" I got the start for the legs.

I need to make a smaller dome for the head, right now a cheap bowl is being used as a template for that. Might get some cheap sculpting clay or play-do and make the dome so I can use that as a template, then cover it with fiber Glass as well. back to the 1st picture to take a quick look at how things will somewhat piece together.

The work bench that it is sitting on above is a 2x4' bench, it is half the size of the work area is going to be once I finish that up.

Time for some indoor work

To try and get the legs looking as real as possible. I need to make them furry and stand out. Since my other half was doing some needle work and had fuzzy yarn. I decided to make a trip to the fabric store with her and pick up some of my own.

Wrapping the legs as I watch Stargate SG-1...

I really don't get much done. As it is a repeat of season 1. But I do try a couple of things out and realize that I will need to pain the PVC pipe 1st to get the back ground colors. Plus this also means I will need to make a trip to the local spider store (EEeewwww I really don't like live ones - ok I can stand them but dont really want to touch).

I did the short part with the white and black yarn, plus the knee joint. Chris crossing it as I went down. Then the long part I did with the all back yarn.

And the close up.

After a bit of painting as I reallize that the white PVC piping needs to go. So I get some rattle cans of paint and go to town.

and as I am never willing to wait very long .. I over do the painting with the 1st run of black. I get some spider webbing from applying to much paint on the tip of one of the legs, buts its small enough that it will either be covered up later on or that side will be placed in the right angle piece.

More parts to come and pieces come together...

EDIT: Corrected the spelling in the subject line

Default Re: Shelob, Attercob, aka Spider

looks like this will be a fun one

Case Wizard

Oh yeah some more pics off the camera.. Body Parts ...

This is about 4.oo worth of cheap bondo fiber glass and 4 oz of resin from Hobby Town (20 min finishing resin).

the cut in the back is because I was not able to just remove it off the mold. without breaking it, and I need it for a few other projects.

D'Oh

cooooooollll...i always wanted a "pet" like this... just how BIG will your spidey be? {very eager... i am..i like bugs! i have a few in alcohol..and a dried lizard..and tons of drawings and paper models!!!} will it be a biotecnoid like the millenium bug? will it be nasty, agressive? huge fangs??? man i can't wait to see more....

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Case Wizard

Default Re: Shelob, Attercop, aka Spider

ok a quick update of the small stuff i was able to do.

1) More work on the legs .. sexy legs..

other side..

hey wait ... get out of the way ..

Hey feed more or I will eat the spider's leg

after feeding the cat and doing a part of a day at work... I pick up some clay to start working on the head before I come home and log in for the rest of the days work (VPN is nice )

25lb of clay for me ... and the war starts to keep everyone else in the house out of it.

Edit:

Over all size of the spider when done will be aprox 5' wide 3' tall and 3-4' long.

Plus I am getting a few things from http://www.smooth-on.com to see if it help with templates.

Case Wizard

OK time for a quick update ... things that have happened over the last few days..

More legs have gotten furry... with my sock covered toes in the pic's

the above work was done while watching bad Sci-fi "FrankenFish" I really would not waste your time on that movie unless its free and you have something else to do. You really want the Fish to each all of the actors.

Sunday not as productive but I did get a new fan installed, about 2 hours of work and another one getting the ladder.

After I returned the ladder to home Depo I found out my brother is going to new Orleans to help with some of the spotting of gas leaks under the ground. I am sure other things as well but that is all I am able to know. Nothing like High tech sensors.

today (labor day has been wasted with real life work **1 pager for sell and 2 co-works **). I have mocked up and template of a PSU and the equivalent size of a motherbard (at least the Dual Mobo I have to place into this machine at this time).

and with shadow man...

I have clear coated the wood so they maybe used again if ever needed.

Standard PSU is about 6"x6"X3.5" so using left over 2X4 worked out fine for that. The Mobo Mark up is 12"X10"X5" I really needed it more like 6" high but I know I will have some over lay as I contune to work things out with the body.

Case Wizard

Default Re: Shelob, Attercop, aka Spider

Time for my weekly update ... Mostly because I am still waiting on the UPS guy to come on the 12 (and its 9/11 ) with my molding supplies I ordered over a week ago - I hate holiday weekends when I have things shipping to me. Good news is I did get my Aluminum T-track, hold down clamps and new featherboard. T-track is for my 2nd part to my work bench and I am wanting a good way to hold things down as I work on them (thanks mlcswoodworking).

Over view for this week.. Since last week I been trying to think on the mechanics of the legs as I get them to move. Built a Couple different version with the geek toys (LEGO's Technic) Some times I wish I had the cash for the robotic sets. As I was able to get most of the movement that I wanted. I just was missing a small but vital piece .. So I cheated and looked at how how Lynxmotion did there hexipods (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build080.htm) is the one I am liking the best)

Saturday night movie : Sarhara from the Red Box (McDonnals Rentals). Good Movie after a day on the alpine slides and go-carts. (http://www.heritagesquare.info/businesses/alpine.html)

I did this during the movie .. working on the body ideas and getting them out as. Sculpey is your friend. Bake and glue together (I need to find the E6000 that in the house)

Oh this gives me an idea ...

to big for an 80mm fan cover .. but with a little work I can get a 92mm out of it.. My have to take to bonzanego a bit more..

6 legged phreaks . no Just with better lighting.

Ouch Gimmie back my leg..

Ok all of the legs on .. waiting for the glue to dry...

I really should paint this guy.

but.. play time..

hhmmmm

tastie ... Peaches n Spider Pie..

at this point I am getting yelled at and told to get my <BEEP> spider out of the kitchen.

Got a little bit of peaches on his bottom and the last leg glued on comes off while I am cleaning him up. I guess its back to waiting for my package .. or I could play with the granitex sculpey and make a twin spider ....

im sorry but that cracked me up imagining you(or anyone for that fact
    ) acting like a 5 year old .

D'Oh

okay! man! if this is the effect of one spidey..think of what the full case will do! no peach pie will be safe seriosly, cool idea... and nice modeling.. it looks real..an albino spider

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

ATX Mental Case

Well that's a roflecopter!
    Thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become habits, habits become character, character becomes destiny...