Thread: Review: HP Mini 110 1001xx

Default Review: HP Mini 110 1001xx

I recently received the new HP Mini 110 – 1001xx. Upon opening the box, and removing the packaging (HP packs their products very well!), I was amazed by just how small and light this computer is. Starting the computer up brings up the traditional XP customization screen. After finishing XP customization, XP boots and HP’s customization starts running. HP packages AIM, Roxio BackOnTrack, syncables, and the standard array of XP programs (Norton Internet Security Trial, Office Trial).

This Mini has the 1.6 GHz Atom processor by Intel, and while it is faster than many previous generation processors, I feel that it doesn’t have quite enough power. I would like to see an AMD dual core Neo or something similar. The low power processor and power management allows this netbook to achieve some amazing battery life. It comes with a 32GB SSD as opposed to a traditional hard drive which also increases battery life. I have been able to take it to school and manage to a full day without plugging it into the AC.

After running the computer for a while, with several hibernations, I find it needs a reboot. I believe this to be because of the only 1GB of ram.

The ease of setup was very easy as HP provides excellent literature and an easy to follow startup guide. While the setup was easy, it did take awhile due to the processor being only 1.6GHz.

In removing the battery, we find a SIM slot, which I was not able to test as I have Sprint which is SIM free.

The keyboard on this model is a very spacious keyboard, considering how small the computer is. As you can see in the picture above, the size is somewhat similar to a magazine. The screen too is very nice; however, I would have liked to have HP’s Infinity View screen instead of a screen with a border. The screen also has an integrated 1.3 MP camera and microphone which can be used for Skype, or IM’ing. The Mini has a very interesting touchpad and mouse button layout as you can see below. The buttons are on the side of the touchpad which adds a bit of a learning curve, but in my opinion, makes the touchpad more spacious.

The back of the screen has HP’s new Black Swirl imprint finish which also comes in White Swirl and Pink Chic. It is a very cool design but is a fingerprint magnet.

The Mini has 3 USB ports, card reader, Ethernet port, VGA out, and the AC adapter port. In addition, the CPU cooler pulls from beneath the computer and expels the hot air out of the left side. Also, it has a power switch and Wi-Fi switch on the front, which glows when the computer is on.

Testing:
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (16K digits): 0.992 Seconds
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (32K digits): 1.860 Seconds
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (64K digits): 3.844 Seconds
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (128K digits): 8.641 Seconds
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (256K digits): 18.875 Seconds
    SuperPiMod 1.5 (1M digits): 1 Minute 33.844 Seconds

My overall impression of this netbook is a positive one.

Ratings:
    Overall Feeling/Layout: 4.5/5
    Battery Life: 4.5/5 (about 4hrs on the 3 cell battery)
    Performance: 4/5 (I would like to see something a little more powerful for XP)
    Keyboard: 5.5/5 (The best netbook keyboard)
    TouchPad: 4.5/5 (Takes some getting used to the side click buttons)

Pros:
    Great Battery Life
    Amazing Keyboard
    HP Quality

Cons:
    Needs More RAM
    Get the linux version IMO
    After running the computer for a while, with several hibernations, I find it needs a reboot. I believe this to be because of the only 1GB of ram.

Conclusions and Recommendations:
    As we draw to a close, I would like to say that all and all, HP has a decent, competitive netbook on their hands for the netbook sector. I would recommend this version(XP) if you don't know linux very well. Otherwise, I believe that performance would be much better with the linux version.

You can purchase at http://HP.com and customized to be exactly like this one brings the MSRP to : $374.99
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Review: HP Mini 110 1001xx

Nice review. What did you pay for it? I have been looking at these myself.

I received it through a contact at HP free of charge to test actually. So no say on the actual value. Sorry.
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I believe this model is $400. This is the most similar one I could find on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Mini-110-Mi...3938277&sr=1-4

Not a very good deal in my honest opinion, no offense of course. They're built pretty well, which is a plus, and they have the 32GB Solid State, which is nice but really drives that price up. You would think they would throw in that famous long lasting netbook battery life for such a high price. For example, the 1005HA by Asus gets 4 hours and is only $285 or $320 for 8.5 hours. Even their 10.5 hour model is only $350. HP Mini's have always been really pricey for some reason, even their spec for spec models are more costly than others.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Yeah, i think the 160GB hard drive model would be better
    I believe Target has a model for ~$320, I'll check the specs on it
    Projects:
    Book Of Knowledge