Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New build

Default New build

This will be my second build, and just want some opinions on it. Im not sure if I'm going to mod it or not yet.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202

Motherboard: EVGA x58 E757-TR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188049

RAM: OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227388

HDD: WD VelociRaptor 150GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136296

CPU Cooler: XIGMATEK Dark Knight http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233029

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129043

DVD Drive: Lite-on 24X CD/DVD Burner SATA http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106291

PSU: Current PC power and cooling 800W

GPU: Current EVGA GTX 285

Prices:

CPU + Antec 1200 (combo): 424.98

Motherboard: 239.99

RAM: 139.99

HDD: 179.99

DVD: 31.99

Total: 1,061.92

Is that case good for cooling? What about that CPU cooler? I've also been looking at the Lian-Li P80 (I think its called), but its another 200 dollars.

Im doing this in a computer class where as a matter of fact the guy from MNPCTech is going to talk to us...

Thanks!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: New build

Is the Antec Twelve Hundred good for cooling? I can't tell if that's an honest question or if you're just being smart. lol

The Antec Twelve Hundred is GREAT for cooling. It has FIVE 120mm Fans, an option for another 120mm on the side panel and a giant 200mm Fan on top, just for good measure. You know, in case a self-contained tornado isn't good enough for you. lol

Plus its an "open air" designed case. The front is basically completely open as well is the side, back and top. That spells G.R.E.A.T for case cooling.

The Antec Twelve Hundred is easily the "coolest" case ever. Pun intended. :p

By the way, I totally hate you. I want one soooo bad. lol

As for the CPU cooler... looks good to me! Has some pretty great reviews.

Very nice build! Definitely going for "the dream build" with this one. Well, my dream at the very least. lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I was being serious, as I heard it was great for cooling but I did for my thermaltake armor too and it turned out to be worse than I expected. I want as many opinions as possible.
    Sorry if it was a stupid question =/

As for a case mod Im not sure if I should even do one as it just seems to decrease cooling anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy_Solo View Post
    I was being serious, as I heard it was great for cooling but I did for my thermaltake armor too and it turned out to be worse than I expected. I want as many opinions as possible.
    Sorry if it was a stupid question =/

As for a case mod Im not sure if I should even do one as it just seems to decrease cooling anyway.
    No such thing as a stupid question man. I was just messin' with ya.

Well, for modding, you can do a lot with just simple things like lighting and paint. Although it looks great as-is, it might look better if maybe you made it into a nVidia edition Twelve Hundred? Get some green accents in there, switch out the LED's to green... Bam. Done. or you know, something like that.

For hardware modding, I've seen a guy mount a triple radiator for water cooling into the front of the case. Although it looks like your going for air, but at least you have the option just in case.

Maybe you could do something with plexi? or even metal? Some green plexi replacing the mesh grills would look pretty nice, maybe instead of just cutting holes for the fan you can cut out a grill pattern. Maybe something like this.

There is a lot you can do modding wise to this case without decreasing performance. Just gotta brain storm a bit. ^_^

Good luck with the build! I can't wait to see it.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Here is another idea I just thought of. Looks cool and doesn't take too much away from air-flow. Not that you'll ever have a problem with airflow with that case. lol

http://profil-teksten.dk/nlm/699.jpg

Link to original mod here.

Whatever you do, buy the 1200. I can't speak for the rest of the components (they look awesome, but I haven't run 'em personally). If you have the space for the 1200 and you won't be moving it much/are reasonably strong, it's damn near perfect if you have a high-heat system and a stack of hard drives.

Well, mine isn't exactly "high-heat" and three hard drives doesn't exactly constitute "a stack", but I needed a case and figured I'd get an investment. However, I'm slightly ashamed to admit that aside from a few added thumbscrews, rearranged drive cages, and a piece of electrical tape over the front edge of the fan mesh (this is very important if you use that top tray for small objects), mine is stock.

I cover mine up with a blanket at night so the light from the front and rear LED fans doesn't keep me awake. Having half of the top fan exposed, on High, is enough to keep my system cool at idle.

You won't regret a thing until you have to move it. The only practical downside is having to undo sixteen thumbscrews (stock) to clean the front intake fan filters; as such, I never have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I like the idea in your second post Zephik, I was thinking about something along those lines, but I would think that that would indeed reduce airflow.

As for the NVIDIA design, I like my cases black and blue So maybe something blue? Im not sure =/

I wish I had access to some machining equipment... so much I could do...
    Fuzzy, I will be using 3 HDDs, so are you saying that reduces airflow if they are in the front area in cages?

Uhm, why is your hard drive so small? This is a stupid question just really curious.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by y4na View Post
    Uhm, why is your hard drive so small? This is a stupid question just really curious.
    Because he's going for speed over capacity. The Velociraptors are 10k RPM 2.5" HDDs that generally perform better than higher capacity drives. However, they are also smaller (150 and 300GB versions) and more expensive (~$1/GB last I checked).

Well, I currently have a Raptor 150GB and another 160GB standard drive. So im thinking I could put my OS and games on both high performance drives and use the other for storage. I suppose I could do RAID with them right? Never really thought to do it or not though.

I also have an old Thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme and I cant find any 1366 brackets for it, and I dont want to buy another. Although I was very disappointed in its performance.. Maybe I will lap the HS this time..