Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supercomputers

Overclocked

Default Supercomputers

I kinda understand the hardware aspect of super computers, basicly have alot of computers linked up, all shareing thier cores (processing power) with one computer to generate high speed calculations.

my questions are:

a) is it possible to set up a supercomputer as a gameing system?
    b) is it possible to set up a super computer as a 3d CAD/rendering system?
    c) if yes for iether one, how (if possible) could you set up several computers to do that?

thank you

sometimes I feel lost... than I remember I'm not going anywhere.

Default Re: Supercomputers

I always thought a super computer was all the best technology and hardware put into one computer, thus making it superior than other computers, and the root word of superior is super = super computer?

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by y4na View Post
    I always thought a super computer was all the best technology and hardware put into one computer, thus making it superior than other computers, and the root word of superior is super = super computer?
    i know enough to know that that is not really true (well it IS a super computer, but not by definition)

I could be wrong but I'm quite shure.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

So its pretty much a room of computers that are connected to one monitor?

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Its definitely possible to cluster PC's together, but as far as software and programs go, I think they would have to be specially utilized/made to take advantage of the extra components. Just like how some programs can take advantage of a dual core and some don't.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

i was afraid of that. i was hopeing there would be a "piggyback" software that would do the distobution for the software.

and thank you Zephik for the links, there were really useful XD

(and yes I'm talking about computer clusters)

I have built one before feel free to contact me anyway possible through this forum.
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

There's actually two different type of systems that are normally thought of when someone mentions 'supercomputers'. Clusters of general-purpose systems, and large special-purpose systems (actually, also often clustered). One example of the special-purpose systems are those made by Cray Inc. IIRC, they actually have a custom hardware architecture for most of their systems. However, since you were actually asking about clusters, that's not really the point, now is it

To answer your original questions:
    a) no
    b) yes

With gaming, you're pretty much gonna be stuck with one physical system for the forseeable future. The technology simply is not widely available to get the kind of throughput and latency that you would need to make it worthwhile.

As for CAD/rendering/etc, yes, most definitely. I unfortunately have never had the time and resources simultaneously to dabble into this, but there are frameworks freely available to do computation load-balancing across a cluster. In fact, all of the major animation studios use systems like this; otherwise managing the massive renders that have to be done for, well, anything really, would be an unmanageable mess.

I have seen a few cluster attempts on here, I forget how many were actually successful, but it might be worth a search if you're interested in it.

For question B, there sometimes called graphic farms.

I did read a while back about a Nvid card what put a render cluster to shame, cost less and takes up less room. Of course I dont remember what card it was, but it exists.

If your thinking of starting a new system I'd say look at the higher end of graphic cards and it could save you time and money
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1