Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procuring a copy of windows for legaly owned liscence.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Procuring a copy of windows for legaly owned liscence.

Hey guys, I have a netbook that had windows XP installed and recently my hard drived "crashed." My laptop didn't come with an XP oem disk but I do have the sticker on the bottom of it claiming that I have a license of windows xp. Does anyone know if there is anyway to obtain that copy of XP or am I SOL. Do I technically own that license or is it a one time shot and if my hardware dies its my problem not theirs?

If I can obtain the copy of xp I want it but if not I'll just try windows 7 on it, I hear it runs surprisingly good on netbooks anyway.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Procuring a copy of windows for legaly owned liscence.

Yes and no. Technically you're not supposed to move the license sticker, so it's kinda-sorta-ish tied to the case. IDK about XP, but in the Vista OEM EULA it specifies that the license is tied to the MBB. Either way, if it's just throwing a new HDD in, then yeah, no problem; just..*ehem*..acquire.. a copy of a disk (in and of itself not against any laws/etc that I know of) and use the license number on the sticker. All completely within the terms of your license.

I would encourage you to try 7 though; it's pretty awesome, and yeah, as long as you have a GB or two of RAM, runs just fine on the standard netbook hardware.

I've currently got a GB and now that I've torn the thing Open it would be no issue to upgrade to 1.5 GB, that's as High as it goes though. Maybe I'll just go with Seven and if that doesn't work out there's always Ubuntu. After all, XP does need to die eventually...

What x88x said is right I believe, just get a copy and use that license key, it should work. Also, have you tried calling the netbook manufacturer and asking them? Companies like Dell will almost always send you the OS and driver disk if you ask.

However, if you have a legal means of acquiring 7, go for it and don't look back.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    What x88x said is right I believe, just get a copy and use that license key, it should work. Also, have you tried calling the netbook manufacturer and asking them? Companies like Dell will almost always send you the OS and driver disk if you ask.

However, if you have a legal means of acquiring 7, go for it and don't look back.
    I have the 7 release candidate and I'm pretty sure i read that its good for like, a year. After a year it will start to shutdown every 2 hours or something silly like that until you purchase a retail copy. I think the RC can be installed on as many comps as I want, or at least a handful. I know its more than one.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

It's at some point in March or April 2010 that it starts that 2-hour thing; then on (iirc) July 31st, it dies completely.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    It's at some point in March or April 2010 that it starts that 2-hour thing; then on (iirc) July 31st, it dies completely.
    Yeah, Plenty of time to save up for a retail copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Datech View Post
    If the machine did not ship with disks and the recovery partition has been wiped then usually you can get a copy of the disks to do an install but it will cost you a few $ (£25 for my Compaq). Often these are sold by partner companies to the OEM manufacturer.

It's also uncertain that using a disk from another OEM manufacturer or the original windows disk will let you activate using the key on your machine.

CrazyB

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Just download it. You have a license so what's wrong with picking it up from a torrent? A license is yours. You paid for it when you purchased the computer otherwise M$ wouldn't offer free recovery software to create backup disks.

EDIT: 1000th post. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Buddhist View Post
    It's also uncertain that using a disk from another OEM manufacturer or the original windows disk will let you activate using the key on your machine
    Correct. If you use a Windows XP Pro for Small Business CD, your key won't activate, same if you used a Compaq CD on a Dell machine. If he finds the correct XP installation his key has a decent chance of working though. Sometimes it will let you install XP with your key, then when you hit activation it will refuse and you will have to call Microsoft and tell them your mobo crashed and you had to reformat.

For me, that last method has worked 100% of the time with about 15 attempts, lol.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!