Thread: For the Linux Guru's: Internal Wireless Card

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default For the Linux Guru's: Internal Wireless Card

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an internal wireless card for my desktop but I want to make sure I find one that is more likely to be supported under Linux. I know that wireless networking under Linux isn't a cakewalk and I've also heard that some cards are more supported than others while others simply wont work. I just thought I would see if anyone here had any input or experience when it comes to finding a Linux capable wireless card. I want to find something that's at least 802.11g. 802.11n is likely to be a bit out of my price range but I would consider it if anyone knows of any N cards that tend to work well under Linux. Thanks for any help.

I used to have a website devoted to Linux hardware compatibility but I forget what it was called : (.

Default Re: For the Linux Guru's: Internal Wireless Card

I've had 2 different D-link cards (don't know model off had) that worked well in Linux (latest Ubuntu worked right out of install on the 1)

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killa_Ape View Post
    I've had 2 different D-link cards (don't know model off had) that worked well in Linux (latest Ubuntu worked right out of install on the 1)
    Cool. I'll look in to that. Are they 802.11g?

One of the main things to be aware of is that your Linux install will work much better if you install whilst connected to the net via Ethernet.

As soon as it boots after install Ubuntu will then advise that there are hardware devices requiring "restricted drivers" and do you want to enable them - usually this will include your Graphics card and your wireless card.

You tick enable ... enter your admin password .. it will then download and install the restricted drivers using the ethernet giving you full GPU and wireless functionality with the add in cards.

With the latest Ubuntu distro's this works like clockwork.

Below are some links to help you find a card supported by the Linux kernel. To be honest most cards from known manufacturers will work. Linux wifi support has moved on a long way in the last 18 months.

CB

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_alles.php?

http://www.linux-drivers.org/

You can also try: http://linuxwireless.org/

Device's brand is not so important as internal chip maker. That's the key. Most brands could launch same product with different chips and some works and other don't.

Of course, maybe you'll have to compile the driver. But it isn't too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    You can also try: [url]Device's brand is not so important as internal chip maker. That's the key. Most brands could launch same product with different chips and some works and other don't.
    Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Of course, maybe you'll have to compile the driver. But it isn't too complicated.
    Very unlikely - the latest Linux kernel handles a lot of chipsets well and if you do the install with a wired connection as I said above it will download and enable the restricted drivers you need without much help from you at all.

CB

@CB, Not totally agree. You can have problems with some Ralink devices and internal kernel drivers. And the workaround is to blacklist the module and compile the kernel (I don't know if it is fixed in the latest kernel release). And not all distros manage restricted drivers as Ubuntu does. In instance, Debian.

Ralink and Atheros chips usually works with Linux, as well some Intel devices.

@Kumo .. yes you're right. Ubuntu's restricted driver functions make life very easy compared to some other distro's.