Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Instead of copy/pasting from my other log, I figured I'd give you dudes (And chicks!) your own write up!

The truck will be getting a 12-bolt/10-bolt combo, 6" Lift kit, and 35" tires (Still deciding) for the frame-down.

Running it will be a 6.5NA HO diesel, Muncie 465 Transmission (Four-Speed 1st=Granny:1 4th=1.00:1), and a NP208 Transfer-Case. Exhaust will be manifolds into 5", into a 6" stack. I am painting it flat black. Flat black says "Hey look at that old rusty primer-mobile." Where as a bright flashy color says "Hey pull me over, I must be a trouble maker!" Plus, ever since I saw Death Proof...

The body will be the factory body with the complete dash out of another Silverado. As the truck is currently missing the steering column, I have another to put in it. The seats will be from a '06 Silverado. The inside of the truck is gutted of its extras. In place will be a floor mat, and bed liner for the metal.

The front-clip, and doors are from a 1991 Suburban (1991 was the last year of the third generation. They lasted a couple more years then the pickup). Has a more modern headlight, and the doors have a different mirror design.

Bed is the factory six-foot bed. Not a whole lot to say. When I got it, it had a plastic bed liner in it. I was dreading taking it out. Anybody who knows plastic bed liners knows they rust beds out. They rub the paint off, then trap water under them. I got EXTREMELY lucky! When we took it out, the bed only had some slight paint rubbed off with a little surface rust around screw holes. No dents, or dings either. I have a set of fancy tail lights I've been saving for years. Haha!

The mill is simply a 6.5 N/A from a GMC van. It is a L57 code engine. I'll be keeping it a N/A for now. I'm gonna turn the Injection pump up a little, and tweak the timing a little. As well as a propane injection. For those moments when you need a little extra go. Normally I'm not into adding extra crap, but I'll cut the short-stroke 6.5 a break!

Finish on the truck with be flat-black. Most likely Kirker Hot-Rod Black. I've used Kirker paint before, shoots good! Everything will be black on the truck! I plan on contacting a local powder-coating company about doing my bumpers, and wheels in black. The only part that won't be black is the motor. Which will be Alpine Green.

Getting back to reality, here is a quick to-do list.
    • Drag truck into shop (Done)
    • Remove front-clip (Done)
    • Remove drive Shafts (Done
    • Remove transfer Case (Done)
    • Remove transmission (Done)
    • Remove bed-liner (Done)
    • Remove motor (Done)
    • Torch bed bolts (Done)
    • Lift Bed/Sit on picnic table (Done)
    • Inspect Frame/Repair any rust (Done)
    • Remove Axles (Done)
    • Drag 12-Bolts Into Shop (Done)
    • Bolt axles onto truck/Remove cover/Check gear ratios (Half Done)
    • Clean/Paint Axles
    • Fix frame where steering-box pulled through (Done)
    • Connect steering/Plumb brakes (Steering Done)
    • Remove 350SB from donor Truck (Done)
    • Inspect motor/Clean motor/Paint motor (No need)
    • Attach Muncie 465 to motor
    • Install Motor/trans into truck
    • Install Transfer Case/Driveshafts
    • Install Clutch Pedal/Cut floor for Shifter (Clutch pedal in)
    • Remove old Seat/Dash (Done)
    • Coat door jams/dash/roof with Herculiner
    • Wire Dash (Gauge Cluster, AC, Lights)
    • Install Gas Tank/Hook Up Hoses
    • Plumb/Wire Motor
    • Details to get truck running
    • Install new front-clip
    • Wire Headlights/Turn signals
    • Remove Old Doors
    • Prep Truck For paint (Fix rusted rocker-panels, block sand truck, fix any dings/waves)
    • Spray behind cab/In front of bed
    • Bolt bed back on/Install new doors
    • Tape truck
    • Spray Truck
    • Remove tape/Install Final Details
    • Go for a drive, and work out anything I missed
    • Plan future mods

Some details might be in the wrong order, plus whatever I am forgetting.

On September 2nd We got the Truck in the shop, and the front-clip removed.

On September 4th we got the drive shafts out, tranny mount out, speedo cable off, Transfer Case removed, and drained the oil in the tranny. Later I cut what was left of the exhaust out.

On September 6th we got the bed liner out, and Transmission out (The stock was a 700R4).

Next on the list is to pull the motor (The one in it is a 305). Then we need to get some Oxygen for our torch, and cut the bed bolts! One thing Chevrolet doesn't get right is bed bolts! Maybe they make them like that so people don't steal your bed? As well, I think they design the steering box to pull-through on the frame? Instead of using proper WASHERS they use these damn bushings! They do the same thing on the tranny mount! People try to say they are weak points on the frame, I don't buy it! Poor planning! So I now gotta pull the steering box off, and I am going to add new metal to the frame. Double up over the existing frame.

She has some work ahead, but anyone who knows rebuilding cars/trucks knows I got a solid platform! To get me around until this is done I still have the '97 2500 Cummins hauling 450hp 700ft/lb! After the Chevy is done, that Dodge will be getting some love as well. Need a new Torque Converter, and I want to put a shift-kit in the 47RE transmission. Plus it could stand a coat of paint! Also small details. Wiring problems. Cruise-Control don't work, my EGT gauge cuts out every time I use the turn signal (I have no idea!), and some other stuff.

Lemme know what you think about my old rusty, gas-guzzling, it-ain't-a-Ford truck!

If this is to much for the Miscellaneous Projects forum, lemme know, I'll delete it, or have it deleted!

Excuse any typo's! I'm going back over to see what I missed!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

excellent! I love the old chevy! I used to have a '79 3/4 ton and beat the hell out of it when i was a teenager. thing would do just about anything I wanted it to, completely stock. coulda used a lift on it, but thats ok, thats what running boards and an I-dont-give-a-rats-a** approach is for
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors Liquid_Scope_99's Avatar

This rocks man im a bowtie man myself i always wanted to do something like this myself bes t of luck will be watching this close.

ATX Mental Case

The 350 is great, should try to find a 454 Good build!

Good luck!

Mike
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

I disagree with the 454. 350's are bullet proof, have tons of power potential, and are definitely more efficient engines. Yes, the 454 has MORE power potential, and can be equally tough, they just arent as plentiful as 350's.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

ATX Mental Case

Very true Luke!
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by rithunder916 View Post
    The 350 is great, should try to find a 454 Good build!

Good luck!

Mike
    Whatcha mean "find?" I already have one sitting in another donor truck. Haha. The 350 is a choice. For my needs it is perfect. Small-Blocks are rock solid, make plenty of power. You can run the snot out of them, and they will just keep going.

If you want to pay to put fuel in the truck though, I might be talked into running the 454!

Now if I could hunt down a 400 Small-Block! Then we might be able to talk! Or a 5.9 Cummins! Those are my top two motors! Then the Nailhead, and the Flathead Straight-Four.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Now if I could hunt down a 400 Small-Block! Then we might be able to talk! Or a 5.9 Cummins! Those are my top two motors! Then the Nailhead, and the Flathead Straight-Four.
    You're going in the right direction with the Cummins, but the unrelated 5.9 gasser - the 360 - wouldn't be bad either (bored/stroked 318 ). Me, I'd settle for a built-up 225 'Leaning Tower of Power', just for the hell of it. Gotta be in an old Dodge, though, of course. Hmm, even a Dakota, that'd be something... it'd beat the K-car 2.5 that the base models got, though the 318 they wedged in would walk it for power.

Anyway, the '73-'87s are great. I've got a friend who's restoring an '83 longbed in calf-crap gold; he's not planning quite as much as you are, I don't think, but it'll be tough enough, based on his '84 Monte.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

Wow didnt realise there were that many gear heads here. I had a '85 silverado short bed with a 383, 4 barrell holly carb, flowmaster glasspacks, 1 inch drop, dual 16 gallon tanks and a love for drinking gas like a dodge ball loves fat kids. It was chevys snowflake white. I miss it so much but Id ont miss feeding it $125 weekly in gas.

heh that truck brings back memories,

my first vehicle was an 86gmc sierra, which looks exactly the same with different emblems, mine was a long bed though, the 350 was fun though.