Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by BerticusPryme View Post
    Wow didnt realise there were that many gear heads here. I had a '85 silverado short bed with a 383, 4 barrell holly carb, flowmaster glasspacks, 1 inch drop, dual 16 gallon tanks and a love for drinking gas like a dodge ball loves fat kids. It was chevys snowflake white. I miss it so much but Id ont miss feeding it $125 weekly in gas.
    Lol, neither did I! I knew we had a couple because I was talking about my Dodge with them before. I had either expected to get ignored, or caught...stuff for my old gas guzzling old truck!

I haven't even bothered putting the truck on off-road sites. I know all I'm gonna hear is how I "should" do things, and how they would spend MY money.

Here I sit. Pondering what I wanna do. Tomorrow (Sorry, today) I want to fiddle with SOMETHING! I am dieing to mod, create, or destroy something!

I am also fiddling with the idea of my next project. I have to talk my parents in to letting me keep the other three trucks I have sitting around! I have a 1983 C20 (2x4 3/4-ton) Scottsdale. It is the truck I'm getting the 350 from. But, I really would like to try to do a 4x4 conversion on it. I have another Muncie 465, that big NP205, and a 454BB. That would be CRAZY in it, and I get the long-bed goodness! The 4x4 conversion would be fairly simple. It is just a matter of making some brackets, and simple measuring.

Here is the truck. It is in great shape, it is just a two-wheel. Not much use for me as-is. I have a bed for it, just no front fenders. I might be able to use the ones off this project, but I don't know if I screwed them up when I chucked them out the door after removing them lol.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...s/100_4242.jpg

I guess I should finish the first truck before planning a second?

Edit,

I apologize for the grammar. I don't have tree trucks! Haha!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

makes me miss my scottsdale. RIP good buddy, RIP.

my buddy is building a '69 ford f-100 shortbed that I will have to find pictures of. thing is a beast and will be sweet once he is finished. the best part is he is only 1000 bucks into the thing. found a shortbed for like 300 and a donor '73 w/ a 460 in it for 700 bucks. lucky bastard. haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Today I'm hoping to get the bed off. After my Dad gets off work, we are gonna cut the bed bolts. Sadly, we are out of Oxygen for our torch! So we are gonna borrow a neighbors. If I am lucky, we will get the motor out while we are at it! Though, I'll settle for getting anything done! After we get the bed off I also have some work that won't take a extra set of hands, so that'll be good.

Also, last Sunday I made twenty bucks! Haha! Sold the wheels, and tires. The tires were a bit aged, and one of the wheels was chipped, so no lose for me. Saves me the trouble of getting rid of them, and I got money!

Sorry about not being a real update. Should have something tonight!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Guess my last post went flying out the window!

Been WAY to long since a update! Today we got the bed bolts cut, bed removed, axle removed, reclaimed the new axle from vines, and loosely installed it.

So we got the bed bolts cut. Before that though we asked a fellow named Justin to make sure the gas tank was shutoff. He spent a few minutes trying to find a gas tank that doesn't exist lol. ANYWAY! One oil fire, one grease fire, and one...wire fire later, and the bolts are out! Then cut the vent tube, and removed the brake light wires. After that, proceed to lower the truck, and with four people, we got the bed off, and carried over to a waiting picnic cable. The perfect fleet side bed holder!

Then we got the front shackle bolts off. You can't really get them off with the bed on. A easy way around that is to take a hole saw, and cut a hole in the back side of the hanger. The driver side one was easy, but the passenger took a bit of time. A bunch of time with a impact, breaker-bar, and a dream took care of it!

Before fully dropping the rear axle we used straps to hold the truck to the lift. The truck becomes extremely front heavy without the axle. Wouldn't want the truck flying forward like a retarded trebuchet.

After pulling all the drum brake parts off (Good for spares), we removed the E-brake, and brake lines. Then finished pulling the bolts out of the hangers. Hook it to a golfkart, and drag it out!

Then we went over, and started to drag the new axle out. That was not fun, but we got it! After rolling it over to the shop, we put it on jack stands, and pulled the cover. I was SHOCKED at what I found! A damn 3.08 gear! WTF is that? 3.08 on 35" tires? After that was over, we removed the old shackle bolts that were left on the new axles when they were torched out. That surprisingly went well!

Last, but not least we rolled the axle under, and stuck the bolts in.

Before anyone wants to tell me about how I should get leaf springs for it, and ditch the blocks... If you'll pay for a set I will! Otherwise, I don't have the money!

Tomorrow I am going to wire wheel the frame/axle/leafs. and coat it in a rust inhibitor until it is ready for a proper coating. Then on Thursday I hope to get the motor out at least.

I may stick a couple more leafs in the pack. The axle is getting a posi. I need to get new gears. I'm debating if I want to do 4.11, or 4.56. I'm leaning to the 4.11 just because the 465 ain't a OD transmission, and if I need a lower ratio, I can slam it in four-wheel low. This ain't gonna be a crawler...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

cool
    Please read the TOS regarding links in signatures. We don't take kindly to that sort of thing. -The Mods

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

go with the 4.11 gears. might even go as low as 410 but you should be good there and the blocks are fine. god i cant wait to see this done. if i can find them i may throw some pics of my old silverado on here for ya.BTW it looks great so far. is that axle 1/2 or 3/4 i cant really tell. I wanna say 3/4 but i could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by aintnothang View Post
    cool
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BerticusPryme View Post
    go with the 4.11 gears. might even go as low as 410 but you should be good there and the blocks are fine. god i cant wait to see this done. if i can find them i may throw some pics of my old silverado on here for ya.BTW it looks great so far. is that axle 1/2 or 3/4 i cant really tell. I wanna say 3/4 but i could be wrong
    Yeah, it should be alright with 4.11 gears. I may try 4.27 gears if I can find them easily enough. With my plan of 37" tires puts 4.11 a bit on the small side with a SB. Though 4.27=2520RPM at 65MPH, and 4.56=2692RPM at 65MPH. So it ain't THAT bad, just a little higher then I was hoping for. Here in Maryland we only have a handful of 65 roads anyway.

Post the pictures!

The old axles are GM 10-bolts. The ones going in it are GM 12-bolts from a K5 Blazer (The last post has the rear 12-bolt in the truck). They are both half ton axles. A future upgrade may be a Dana 70/60 combo, or a GM 14/Dana 60 combo. I already have a 14-bolt laying around, but a Dana 60 front is a bit out of my reach.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

LOL.. right now I've got 3.43's in my S10, and I'm thinking, "Man, I need some 3.08's."

Of course, it's my commuter, and I regularly do 75-80mph for extended periods of time. Gotta love Alberta highways.

The little 2.5 with the 5spd behind it spins pretty high with the 3.43 rear end, so I should pick up some economy too.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Nice restore, looks like it shall be a very through build. I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.
    ... thats a good thing, we want it to work, not be found on road dead in a week.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v