Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Guy at the drag strip used an old paper boy delivery box
    I'd pay money to see hilarity like that.

Ah, well either way he does excellent welds!

"Teach me your ways oh jedi master!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Ah, well either way he does excellent welds!

"Teach me your ways oh jedi master!"
    Oklahoma state and some corporation gave our Metro Technical centers a grant to train welders!

so right now there are completely free welding programs for MIG TIG and stick. and i've been thinking hard of taking all three courses.

i mean its free, why not?

Yeah... why not? I'd kill to have free welding classes. /high school... when I should have taken welding classes for free...
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Yeah... why not? I'd kill to have free welding classes. /high school... when I should have taken welding classes for free...
    Well i've had ghetto training before, so I already know the differences between GMAW metal welding (fancy) and SMAW welding (ghetto)

You need tanks and fancy equipment for GMAW (mig and tig) and SMAW you can do with a couple car batteries in a series, some terminal cables and those special flux/metal sticks.

smaw (stick welding)...it's almost like soldering, except your not creating a current a across the two materials, your adding a secondary source for the weld's heat so theres no real penetration into what your joining together so its weak.

or something like that, the little i've welded i've done a good job. I wouldn't trust my welding to hold together your control arm or something like that, but i'm sure i could out do 3/4 of that class in welding already. and i'd probably be a bad a@# after taking those classes and getting more experiance hours under my belt.

speakin o ghetto rigging intake cowls.

Well, if you are going to have a fancy scoop to get air in, you gotta have some fancy pipes to get it out...

Got my headers patched, and half painted.

Here is what I started with. They are Flowtech headers. Not great, but they were free... They are also car headers. Got to make my clutch bell crank work around them...

Booger welds!

That is better... After using the cut off wheel, and cleaning up with the grinder...

Using a piece of scrap 3" exhaust tubing, I cut patches. I cut three. Two for the headers, and one test piece because I haven't welded in a while...

Here is my test piece. The left side is where I started, and I went around in a clockwise pattern.

I welded the headers, but didn't realize that metal was as light as it was when I started. So my first weld blew right through it. lolx You can see I stitched it pretty good. Looks like ass. Thank the Lord it is under the truck...

And the other one. Turned out a little better.

And how I left them tonight. Cleaned, and the backsides painted.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I give you, the Storm Trooper headers! Is that still relevant? Eh, whatever... I liked the contrast of white/rust the headers had before, so I took some black to add a little flash to the paintjob. Thought it came out pretty good!

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    I give you, the Storm Trooper headers! Is that still relevant? Eh, whatever... I liked the contrast of white/rust the headers had before, so I took some black to add a little flash to the paintjob. Thought it came out pretty good!

Yea looks awesome!

awesome welds!

Thanks. I had a heck of a time with the header tubing. Welds like ass. With that in mind, I'm happy with the welds.

Got the headers installed today. Allen bolts was all I could get for them, but I will probably never use them again. It is worth the wait to get good reduced head 6-points...

Also, wash your hands before installing white headers... I got most of the grease off with baby wipes...

Before I could install the headers, I had to clean, and fill a pin hole in the factory welds. I also installed the starter, but didn't have the short bolts needed for the newer mini starter. I put spacers on the bolts, but will need to get proper length ones to swap in. I'm running a newer mini starter. I love mini starters! With the help of Pappy, I brought #1 up to TDC. Can put the plugs in now.

List of stuff I need to do at the moment...

1. Grind down a Allen wrench to tighten one PITA header bolt.
    2. Install plugs.
    3. Clamp Dizzy.
    4. Install wires.
    5. Install Fuel Pump.
    6. Get Carb Inlet Washers/install Fuel Log.
    7. Make Gaskets/Install Water Pump.
    8. Find Accessory Bracket Bolt.
    9. Ghetto rig wires/lines/cables.
    10. Hook up Oil Pressure Gauge.
    11. Put oil in it (Haha.)

That is a long list of little stuff... Just to get it to the point that I can drive around the drive way...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10