Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Went back out for some messing around.

Here is the hole for the shifter. Was done quick with a cut off wheel...

The boot I plan to use. Just because it is cool... I have a factory one as well, but the Hurst one just adds more horsepower! Haha. Wouldn't mind getting this shift knob to go with it, but the only problem is I'm trying to get my Fiancee in a position where she can not complain about driving a manual, and not having the marks on the knob could be a excuse...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...item3cb6de47a7

Put mah new valve covers on. Not bad!

Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Todays update!

Did some work on the clutch.

Got the bell crank on. My engine, and transmission is cocked a bit so the ball isn't fully seated... Trying to take good pictures, since find mechanical clutch pedal conversion pictures on the internet is HELL.

I modded a transfer case shift linkage to act as the bell crank to clutch fork linkage.

Next step involved a little machine work. I turned a new set of pedal bushings on the lathe. Measuring the bore of the pedal, and measuring the OD of the rod I'm using. The pedal is roughly 11/16". i made it roughly .690" for a press fit. The hole for the rod is 29/64" I do believe.

Next step is the rod. I made it long enough to add some spacers, and maybe a brace. It is a simple 7/16" steel rod. I drilled a hole in each end, and has a pin going through it.

Girly painted the pedals for me! Thanks babe!

Mocked in the truck.

Next I painted the alternator bracket.

To get the power steering pump off you HAVE to remove the pulley. Which you need a special puller to do...

Off.

Painted, and on.

Plenty of clearance! Haha!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Classic vehicle restore. I like.

Question:
    If it was an '86 IBM, what would you be doing with it?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I'd take this over 90% of new vehicles... After my 6.5 is in I'll be looking at roughly 25MPG's...

Lol, like a old convertible? Probably end up with a broken one, so I'll find a bunch of parts from different year computers and try to build one working one. Then paint it black and add some fancy lights.

Slow day...

Changed the water neck.

Then I worked on the clutch some. Cut the hole for the linkage. The hole in the first picture was to smal FYI. I used a cut off wheel. Tried a hole saw and just made a fool out of myself...

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Not much done today. Mainly because crappy weather.

Got the old front leaf bushings out. I used the technique of drilling a ton of holes, and ripping the outer pieces off. Then taking pliers on the inner tube and wrenched it out. The other half just fell off... Before I can install the new ones I need to get some sort of sanding bit for either my dremel, or die grinder to clean the inside of the holes of rust. To much crap doesn't allow the bushings to fit right...

Then picked up some gaskets, and bolts for the headers, along with ordering a tranny mount.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

that bushing looks disgusting. This project is coming along nicely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

This better? It's getting there...

Got the AIR tubes cut off one of the headers. Need to grind them down now. Also cut the other one lol.

The tranny mount was in today.

I went out and dug the bolts out for the front drive shaft, and cleaned it. One of the holes on the axle yoke was fudged up, so I had to chase it...

Tomorrow I'm going to try and get the cursed brake booster hooked up... I swear I will never modify another pedal tunnel, or adapt a brake booster ever again. It just isn't worth the hassle... It would have been worth the money to buy a factory pedal assembly, and to dig up a hydro booster...

Also hoping to get the other header cut, and grind them both down. Think I might try and see if the headers will fit in the blasting cabinet. :lol: Also need to price some V band clamps. One of the flanges is bent, and it couldn't hurt to upgrade for the right price...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Hello all! Fiddled around. I spent most of the day battling with the pedals...

Messing with the pedal I figured out a couple things. Before I get into that a little back story. hydro booster linkage for whatever reason will not line up with the pedal... So first I tried shimming the booster to angle it. No go... So next I decide to pull the pedal out to get a better look. I notice there is in fact two holes in the pedal. One roughly a inch above the hole that has the mount for the factory linkage. Out of curiosity I put the pedal back in and stuck a bolt through the hole into the linkage. Before I get ahead of myself moving the linkage mounting point up makes the pedal travel further... Bad in most cases. So then I pressed the pedal as far as it would go and measured a common point on the fire wall to the pedal. After this I went out to my donor truck and also pressed the pedal all of the way and measured. Wouldn't you know that the pedal travel was roughly 1/2" FURTHER on the donor which has a factory vacuum booster. So I can only guess the factory hydro booster has a different travel then the vacuum booster? I really have no idea. If anyone has any insight I wouldn't mind! The booster is from a 1995 Vandura. Stupid me didn't grab the pedal from the van so I can't measure the throw on that.

Nothing really picture worthy there...

Found a couple heims I think I am going to use to make a new clutch pedal to bell crank rod.

Pulled the old center console piece out of the donor. It won't clear the manual though so I'm probably going to cut it.

I randomly stuck a set of new style center caps on my Outlaw wheels. Doesn't look to shabby! Thinking I might pick up a set of lug nuts to try them. I figured out you can get them in standard sizes. They are known as "Dual Thread" lug nuts.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Rear drive shaft in. Don't worry, the yoke is long as hell... Plenty still inside the case.

The right U-Joint was a 3130. It has a large cap 1330 on one side, and a 1310 on the other.

Also got the bolts for the leaf springs. Grade-8 9/16" bolts.

Not pictured is one header ground down, and the clutch bell crank bracket holes slotted.

Rainy day...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

As a qualified mechanic myself although I no longer work in the trade I know all too well how much work is involved in such a project and how the phrase "I'll just do this bit a minute" can turn into a nightmare

Being in the UK I've never worked on any American metal but that Chevy looks like my kind of vehicle, simple and build like a tank not some computerised black box on wheels that shuts down and screams for a dealer when you just try and change the oil.

I left the motor trade when diagnosing problems had changed from using your mechanical experience to connecting a laptop and running a program, where's the skill in that?
    Great looking build and a Chevy pick-up sure beats the hell out of a British Landrover pick-up, I've never understood the interest in Landrovers

Flat black paint is the way to go easy to look after and repair but I am biased, actually mine is satin black