Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Got a few things checked off the list before it started to rain.

Got oil in it. Valve covers are leaking a little... Gotta fix that...

Got the dizzy clamped down, and plugs installed.

Fuel pump installed, and front plug installed.

I have some plug wires up on a shelf for it

just a couple hours messing around...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

This evenings update.

I started with that pesky header bolt. I ended up grinding the 5/16" ball allen from my go-to set. Been wanting to pickup a Bondhus gold set anyway... Wrench is for leverage.

I then dug out my plug wire collection, and tested them with the ohm meter. Put together a good set, and hooked it up.

Dug out the fuel log I've been saving. Little on the overkill side... Gotta shorten it a little. It was used on a 1050 Dom in a past life... Don't mind the brass fitting... I have some more stainless line to make the line going to the fuel pump.

And here is what I'm most proud of today! How to make your own gaskets!

Supplies:
    1. Gasket Paper.
    2. Small Ball Peen Hammer
    3. Scissors
    4. What you are making a gasket for.

Start by cutting a piece slightly larger then the final product. 1/4" on each side is good.

While holding the gasket paper down with your fingers, drag the ball side of the hammer over the paper where the bolt hole should be. It'll indent the paper slightly, and let you see where to start. Once you have it marked, hold the hammer at a roughly 45* angle to the edge of the hole. You can now lightly tap the edges of the holes, and it'll Break right through. The trick is to use less force then you think you need, and making sure the paper doesn't move.

For the next hole, stick a bolt through the first to help hold it.

Same concept for the center. Tap around it at a roughly 45* angle.

Now, for the outer edges you can do it two ways. Tap around it for the cleaner look, or just use scissors like I do...

Enjoy!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Switching gears. Here is a couple minutes worth of work...

Took some flat bar, and made a new arm-thing-dodad-widget for the bell crank. I was going to cut the old one off, and move it, but I wasn't happy with trying to cut it off...

Started by cutting a piece of flat bar to a nice eye ball length. Then I laid it flat, and held the bell crank up to where the final location would be, and marked the radius. I did it this way because the piece doesn't fit centered, and I hate hole saws...

First, I made a "L" shaped cut with the cut off wheel to get rid of most of the metal. Then I used the cut off wheel as a grinder to shape. Didn't have to be perfect is why I chose to do it like this.

Fit? Pretty damn good!

Final product!

I held it in place on the truck, and it appears that it will clear the header, but I'm considering heating, and bending it for a offset. Just to get a little extra insurance. So if the truck flexes, it won't bottom out on the header, and jam...

I also made a little boo-boo. Without thinking, I drilled it for 1/2"... Which is bigger then the little rod for the clutch fork... I guess it isn't really a problem. I'm going to make a brass, or Delrin bushing to take up the area. This will keep the hole from hobbing out over time, and I already have a 1/2" hole if I upgrade it to a heim joint setup like the rest of the system...

Last night I installed the water pump. Can't really show it, so here is a thumbs up. Who's awesome? You're awesome! lolx
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Clutch bell crank is almost done. I tacked it in place straight up, and down. After test fitting it, what I feared was correct. Not enough room. About a 1/4" of clearance...

So, I went to plan B. Welding it at a angle, and bend it over. I was going to bend it with the torch, but I was having trouble with the tank valve. So I said screw it, and scored it with the cut off wheel. Bent it, and tested it. Worked great!

Well, I did have to make a bushing to fix my boo-boo. Probably will make another with a top hat shape.

Final product. Well, still needs to be be welded at the slit, and some spray paint...

All this for fancy headers, and a transmission I have to shift MYSELF... :lol:
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    All this for fancy headers, and a transmission I have to shift MYSELF... :lol:
    You didn't factor in c00l mode.

Well, I really have no update on the truck, but wanted to post some stuff.

I am working doing a swap in a IH truck. Big old 466. In the process though, there are some goodies on the old engine I am hoping to keep. Namely a Garrett GT4082 turbo, and a nice fuel filter setup.

The turbine on the GT40 is pretty freaking big, but I'm thinking I may be able to make it work. Otherwise I can try to find a smaller turbine for it, trade it, or give it to my Dad for a 400sb he was thinking about.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Well, I really have no update on the truck, but wanted to post some stuff.

I am working doing a swap in a IH truck. Big old 466. In the process though, there are some goodies on the old engine I am hoping to keep. Namely a Garrett GT4082 turbo, and a nice fuel filter setup.

The turbine on the GT40 is pretty freaking big, but I'm thinking I may be able to make it work. Otherwise I can try to find a smaller turbine for it, trade it, or give it to my Dad for a 400sb he was thinking about.

That guy?

LOL i'd find a way to make it work. Because smoking the tires while already going and in 3rd gear is impressive.

Nice work man! Keep up the updates. Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post

That guy?

LOL i'd find a way to make it work. Because smoking the tires while already going and in 3rd gear is impressive.
    The compressor on mine looks different. Size is right though. She is a big girl..

I'm looking at Holset HX35's. Smaller turbo that would spool quick. Which is what I'm after. I'm a stop light warrior...

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    Nice work man! Keep up the updates. Loving it!
    Thanks! I have a gas tank on order. I'm hoping the DT466 swap is done tomorrow, and the weekend will be mine to work on my truck! Doping to get a few things done...

• Get the fuel pump to carb plumbed
    • Front brake line
    • Front half of rear brake line
    • Accessory bracket bolts
    • Driver side valve cover gasket
    • Finish Clutch Pedal Setup
      • -Return spring on clutch fork
      • -Tighten bracket
      • -Get fine thread 1/2 nuts
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

That's a pretty damn big turbo. lol It would be sweet to rig up a dual turbo setup, one small that spools quick and that big huge one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER