Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by chaksq View Post
    Nice restore, looks like it shall be a very through build. I've got one slight problem with it though, it ain't a Ford.
    Don't you drive a Mazda?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    Don't you drive a Mazda?
    No, i actually own a Ford ZX2. Although I'm more of a Subaru guy anyways, which is what my main car is.

I just commented that because he specifically was anti-Ford at the begining, when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy I prefer ford.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

No, i actually own a Ford ZX2. Although I'm more of a Subaru guy anyways, which is what my main car is.

I just commented that because he specifically was anti-Ford at the begining, when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy I prefer ford.
    Mazda BG platform. Shared with Ford, of course. That's why I was taking the piss.

I gotcha now, don't worry. I don't have much of an allegiance either way there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

When was that? I said "Lemme know what you think about my old rusty, gas-guzzling, it-ain't-a-Ford truck!" That wasn't specifically anti-Ford, or even vaguely anti-Ford. I'm sorry if you interpreted that way. The comment "it-ain't-a-Ford truck" was mainly aimed at my friends. They try to bust my balls about owning a Dodge truck, and Chevrolet truck('s). I myself try to stay out of that old debate. None of the companies are anywhere near perfect... Most of the time when someone goes off on some mind numbing rant about how "X" is better then "Y" they seem to "forget" about the problems that the company they are defending has.

Me? I know what I like, and I know what works for me. Old Chevy, and Dodge trucks work for me!

Back to the truck!

Wednesday I got most of the rear frame wire wheeled, and coated. Then Thursday we got the motor out, calipers off, and sway bar off. Then I remembered I'm a complete dumbass. Why did I think the front axle I was going to put in was a 12-bolt? It is a Dana 44. Because of this, I will be keeping the 10-bolt front axle. Taking the leaf packs off the Dana, and putting them on the 10-bolt. Maybe I'll throw the Dana up on Craigslist. See if anybody bites... If I can at least get enough money for plugs, wires, and belts, I'd be ahead of the game!

Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Relax man, I was just joking around. I think its a great project regardless who made the truck back in 1986. I hold no brand loyalty. I like restoration of old cars because it means less cars getting junked.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Well, since Photobucket is being stupid, and not letting me upload photos, I am forced to use Imageshack!

First we fixed the steering box. Welding thick ass washers over where it pulled though, and making a plate with two welded on sleeves to keep the back bolts from pulling through. Sorry, no pictures right now.

Then we got the Dana 44 over to the shop to get the tires off, and the leaf springs off.

I swear, it wasn't me!

After dragging it over to the side door, we rolled it in...After smacking the frozen calipers with a hammer to get the tires to roll.

Blurry picture of the axle with the tires, and leafs removed.

The leafs came off without a hitch! I was worried that the few years out in direct weather would have locked them up, but they came off no problem! After that, the old shackle bolts had to come off. Again, they came off without a hitch! Though the rear bushings sorta fell apart... Need new ones anyway.

After that the tires needed to come off. While getting a socket, I looked over and noticed the wheels had locks! DAMN IT! Wasn't a big deal though. Hammer, piece of 1" OD steel, and channel-locks took them off!

Now it was time to take the old leafs off. Although I had loosened the nuts a while back, the bolts didn't come off so easy. The back bolts came out no problem, but the fronts took a lot of hammer, breaker bar, and impact time! It took way longer then it should have!

Old leafs.

So now it was time to put the new leafs in (temporary). That went well! Gives a little insight as to how the truck is going to sit when I'm done. With the slightly smaller tires then what is going on it, and the lack of rear bushing at the moment even when the motor is in the truck, it will still sit pretty good.

Again, this is just a mock up. The leafs have to come back off. I need to be able to roll the truck out of the shop though.

Weight off the lift in this picture. It is 36" to the top of the bumper.

Next I need to ghetto rig up a way to steer the truck. Then the truck gets rolled out, and the '84 gets rolled in to have the motor pulled.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

The truck got rolled out today. A stroke of luck was the steering shaft where it connects to the column is 3/4". That fit a 3/4 ratchet perfect! So we just pulled out a 1/2 ratchet, and a 3/4 adapter. Made steering a piece of cake!.

Here is a couple crappy pictures of the truck without the lift in the way.

I was digging around the shop, and I found a pair of Pro-Comp gauges. A in-dash 5" Tach, and Speedo. This will go with the 2" 5/8" Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Amperage Gauge (Looking on the Auto Meter site, I don't even see the amp gauge anymore lol). Now, because the tach will remove my fuel gauge, I'm gonna pick up a Pro-Comp 2" 5/8" one to put in the blank spot on the dash.

The dash I'll be using. The pad is a original, and ain't cracked. The instrument panel may get a coat of black paint on the stainless insert.

Here are the 5" gauges. It has been shelved for about five years. I thought I lost it for a couple of them years lol. It was out of a Blazer. Sadly, because the moron didn't have the proper clamps to hold the gauges in...he siliconed them in. So I gotta pry them out. Then I'm gonna do a little refurbishing. The black paint is chipping.

The truck was pulled out for two reasons. A bunch of cars need oil changes, and we need to bring the truck that has the 350 in it to pull that.

While the truck is out, I may gut the interior while I'm at it.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Where do I start other than I am in love.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

More updates please!

This log is getting me excited about doing a rebuild on my '75 FJ40...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Where do I start other than I am in love.
    Haha! It is just a truck! Though I will have a passenger seat to take care of that detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    More updates please!

This log is getting me excited about doing a rebuild on my '75 FJ40...
    Sadly, I don't have any. The last pictures you see, are what was done last. I may go ahead and start gutting the interior on the next warm(est) day. I am in need of a few sets of hands to get the motor out of the donor truck, and my Dad is either busy, or dead tired.

When you start on the 'Yota, don't forget a log! I'd love to see it!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10