Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    coming along quite nicely... make sure you post exhaust clips from your diesel!
    Haha. Well I'm hoping not to roll to much coal when it is done. Will do though! I'm going to do a single offset 6" stack with a flapper. I like that flapper clink, and I'm not putting one of those goofy boots on my stack when it rains...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Well, yesterday I got the bracket for the bell crank mounted to the frame. It was pulled off a Blazer so the rivets were still stuck in the holes. Hammered those out, and it was just a simple matter of bolting it up. GM was nice enough to put the holes in the frame for me! Sorry, forgot to take a picture.

I then went digging for the little ball that mounts to the bell housing. After looking at my housing I realized the part I was looking for was smaller then I thought. I had one of the later housings that had the ball threaded into the housing itself. Then after some more digging I found it! Not before finding a complete hydraulic clutch setup. Not going to use it on this though. Rather have the manual clutch I can feel. Pedal weight is a moot point. I'll save the hydro's for another time.

Today I fixed the bead on the tire. No more leaking...

Then I cleaned up the front a bit.

Shot of the truck as it is now.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

gonna be a nice looking truck when its done. what color you think you gonna paint it? (or are you gonna leave it zombieland style? lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    gonna be a nice looking truck when its done. what color you think you gonna paint it? (or are you gonna leave it zombieland style? lol)
    Flat black. Everything black on the truck, but maybe a white 3 painted on the door. I even plan to coat the wheels, and bumpers.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Flat black. Everything black on the truck

Sounds like my old Suburban. What size are the tires on it? It looks taller than the one I'm working on. But that could be the short/long box thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

The ones currently are 35-12.5-15. Lift is roughly 6". I may be adding some more leafs once the engine, and bed are on. It is sitting about perfect now with neither, so it is a bit concerning. Not a bit deal though. I have a whole truck I can pull leafs from.

I saw your 'Burban. Made me sad. Haven't seen your current project though. Any pictures?
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Shot of the truck as it is now.
    Kinda reminds me of a C.O.R.R. truck.
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Update, nothing amazing. I pulled the steering column out of the donor yesterday. What a PITA... I also painted the grill piece, and got it back on. Today I put the column in. I don't need a ratchet to steer anymore!

Gotta do something about that shifter.

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Sorry for the lack of updates. Here is where I'm at. Here is the updates I haven't posted.

I have confirmed a pair of '06 Silverado seats for the truck. I'm just going to have to make a mounting setup for them. Which is a piece of cake. I also might have a large rad that I might try to adapt. Depending on if I can make them fit. Dunno yet. The rad will be down to height. If it isn't to tall, I'll use it. Otherwise I have a Big Block one that will work.

And now I also have a propane itch I need to scratch. So whatever engine that goes into this will also be getting a propane injection. Just to try pretty much. I'm really not into this stuff normally.
    Well, not exactly setting any speed records but with a few free moments here, and there I getting along.

I took the dash out of my donor for the truck, and sat it in it to see how it fit. Little inspiration as well. When I was taking the cluster out I realized I did a stupid while getting the steering column out. I cut the line for my mechanical Sport-Comp water temperature gauge... So I'm going to add that to my list of gauges I need to buy. Next to a EGT, and fuel level gauge. Why a fuel level gauge? Because I'm pulling the factory speedo, and fuel gauge. To be replaced by a Pro-Comp speedo, and tach. I'm considering replacing all my gauges with Pro-Comp's. To have a matching set. Save the Sport-Comps for another day. If anyone is wondering. I'm making the tach work with a Dakota Digital tach sensor. Simply because it is a cheaper option then buying Pro-Comp Diesel Tach.

The Sport-Comp's were already added by my Dad. He did this with a 5" tach mounted to the steering column. I'm simply pulling the last of the stock gauges.

My Dad's cluster.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/100_6004.jpg
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/100_6005.jpg

Starting to paint the inside of the cab. It is simply rattle can bed liner I found at Home Depot.

Started painting the frame today. It is brushed on Hammered finish paint. Goes on thick, which is what I wanted. I know a few guys running trucks with this with no problems. Still need to paint the inside of the rails, and the underside. I need to rip some old lines out before the inside can be done. If you are wondering, the frame is going to be painted, the sheet metal undercoated. Not painting the springs, or axles until I've got them all buttoned up.

Nothing fancy. Just a small update. I painted the front section of frame. Modified the dash to accept my 5" gauges. Then I went to a junkyard. Wandering around I found a GMC 'burban with a nice dash still in it. So I popped that out for mine. Cost me $12. ;D It had a cherry FM radio as well. I'm tempted to go back for it, but I'm a 100% CD person, so IDK. So I'm gonna do the mock up with my old dash, then when I am ready I'll cut the new dash, and put it in.

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

So... Lets see. Where to start? Well, I got the 6.5 out of the van. It is sitting in the shop now. It need some freshening up.

How it stands at the moment, I'm considering building the 350 I have and putting that in it for now. Then I can put the 6.5 up on the stand and freshen it up. And a twin-turbo setup couldn't hurt...

Here is the 6.5.

What I'm considering is that since I have all the parts to build the 350, and even the flywheel to mount it to my Muncie that I might shove that in the truck for the time being. Then pop the 6.5 on the engine stand, and give it a proper freshening up.

The block is a 3970010. Common as the sky is blue. But a good block, and since it is a fresh rebuild, a good choice. It is loaded with flat top pistons, and 333882 heads. Although the heads are pointless to me because I believe the driver side one is cracked. But I have another set laying around I can use! From what I read, they are prone to cracking. I find it strange that a head on a fresh rebuild would be cracked? Better not to ask questions though.

So, anyway the idea is to put together the 350, and stuff it in the truck for the winter. I have all the parts, and goodies. Weiand intake, Holley carb, full Serpentine setup, and all the other widgets to make these crazy gassers spin.

I pulled some of the parts down, and mocked them up. In case you are wondering, yes I did play with the carb while making "vroom" noises.

Ain't that pretty?

I currently have two options for heads. A pair of 3973487 heads, and a pair of 3947041 heads. I'm leaning to the 487 heads simply because they are already setup. Reading up, they both seem to be good, thick casting heads.

The 487's.

I have two intakes. One is a Strip Dom' intake. The other a Weiand 7508. Both vintage. From what I understand the Strip Dom' is like the big brother to the Vic Jr., and the 7508 is like a Strip Dom'. Not sure which I'll use. Opinions?

And, here is the best part! I almost pooped myself seeing this. I pulled the oil pan off. After having a "Duh" moment, I slowly counted the main bolts. 1...2...oh damn...3...4... YES!!!

So, I'm happy. After I pull it back out I'll have a good base for building another toy!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10