Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

good to see your still working on the truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

It's kinda the "Fifth hour" type thing. I need to get this evil thing done.

Got the heads bolted on.

Started by digging out my Dad's books on the subject. I looked up the tightening pattern, and what to torque the bolts to.

So, after that I started cleaning things up. Pretty simple. A scrapper, and a scotch bright pad did the trick.

Then the heads.

Stick the gaskets on.

Then I dug the bolts out. Tip? Don't just throw bolts in a cardboard box. PITA... The bolts on a Small Block are simple. 8 short bolts, 2 medium, and 7 long. The short ones go on the bottom, the medium ones go on the inside outer edges. The long ones go on the inside center. Try not to mix them up...

I cleaned the threads. Nothing amazing.

Finally I put the heads on. Line the dowel pins up, and they should go right in place. After that I start all the bolts and run them down until they just touch. Then we get to torquing. Using a 1/2" drive torque wrench I got to work. I started at 40 ft-lbs. Then 50, then 60, then to the final setting of 65.

So, that is where I'm at. I may go out later, and get the lifters, and rods in.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Well, I got the lifters in, and my Dad showed me how to set the rockers.

If that ain't art, I don't know what is.

Dug out some parts. A fancy starter, and the accessory setup from a 4.3. The truck it was from only have about 40K on it, so I got some nice parts I think. I even have the water pump.

I left the other bracket outside, so it has some oxide on it. :whine: Hopefully I can clean it up.

Went to the store and got some intake gaskets, and paint. I tell the guy I have a Chevy Pickup with a tree-fitty. What does he do? Picks a C10... I about pulled him over the counter! Ok, not really... I just wanted my gaskets. :lol:

So, gotta clean the block a bit, and I can paint it.

And my Dad may have lined up a flywheel for the 6.5. So that'll save me over a $100.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Interesting, this tempts me to post up my trackday car project log. Quite tempting. Not sure how much interest is in for things like that though? Anyone?

Can't hurt. I think there is more people into cars, then trucks around here anyway.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I'll throw up a couple pics of my pig up later if you don't mind. Kinda gave up on pretty though when the $$$ ran out. But it's functional which is what matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

This is what I've got. The engine/tranny/transfer case came from my old Suburban. Chassis is from a heavy half farm truck, and the cab/front clip is from my old 1ton 2wd work truck. It's not done yet. Still have to do something with the interior (wire the windows/put the dash back together/install the 4x4 lever/patch the holes in the floor). I went through the drive train while it was in the suburban. The chassis got stripped down and painted with Chassis Saver epoxy so it should last awhile. Thought the cab was in better shape than it is so this body isn't forever just need it funtional for the winter. Here's what it looks like without the plow on.

Just had to use it to plow Saturday and it worked great. I still miss the old Suburban though.

Nice truck! What is the drive train?

What plow you run? When I'm closer to done I have a Meyer plow for my truck.

I gotta fleetside bed I'll give you a good deal on if you want to drive over to Maryland.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Drive train is a tbi 350/700r4 with a 208 transfer case. The plow is an old Meyer E46. As far as the bed goes I'm looking to replace the whole body. Except for the passenger inner fender the front clip is rust free but the hood is beat up. I've got a clean 81 and up front clip but no radiator support for it. What I really want to do is get a 68-72 body and though it on. Or get really demented and put a van on it.

Worked on swapping my steering arms a bit. See, I kept thinking I had to buy one. Then it hit me the other day. "I wonder if that dana 44 I have has one?" Yep... So I went to pulling that off. Was able to get one lock out the first day. Soaking it in oil, and left it. After reading some tricks on here, I went back at it today. A broken hammer, and some large hand tools later I had it off. Gotta pull the one off my 10-bolt now... Hoping that goes a little easier. HAHA!

Thread in question. I used the trick with the socket over the lock. guess it worked.
    http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=196081

How I found it today.

After using the socket, and giving it a couple whacks.

Now you see it...

Now you don't.

YAY!

Whew...

Now I gotta pull the other one off.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10