Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Wait, we gotta see this American Frankenstein with a snow plow attached!

Also, I would rather have a Dana 44 rear axle anyday... Jeeper here.

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    Wait, we gotta see this American Frankenstein with a snow plow attached!

Also, I would rather have a Dana 44 rear axle anyday... Jeeper here.
    You'll see when it is done. It without a doubt is getting a plow. The Meyer is sitting waiting for next winter.

Strength differences between the 10, and 44 are slim, and stuff like knuckles swap over. Plus, I already have the gears for a 10...

Sorry, these updates are old from another website.

Well, went out to pull the arm off the 10-bolt. Put the jack, and a stand under it. Popped the tire off, and went at it. Broke the second hammer. Now I'm gonna have to get another hammer. Might try the 10 pound sledge tomorrow if I cant get one.

---------------------------------------------

Didn't update this, my bad. Got the sledge out the other day and got the arm off. Ran into a problem though. I fudged up one of the studs. Which wasn't a big deal I thought because I happen to have the odd ball die needed to chase the threads real fast. The problem is it is a round head die and I have no room to turn it... So I'm going to try and pull a stud from the 44 to swap into the 10-bolt. Wish me luck there...

Also need to order some dust boots for my tie rods. The rods are good, but the boots are shot...

No real other updates... I've simply been pondering my thoughts about how I'm going to do things.

One thing I was thinking about is my fuel tank. Or lack of one... When I got the truck the fuel tank was gone, and so were the brackets... Ok, so a new fuel tank is roughly $100, and the time it'll take me to get the old rusty ones off my donor doesn't sound all that fun. Plus, I'm not a fan of side saddle tanks in general... So first I was pondering the common Blazer tank install. The idea of hunting down the brackets, and installing them wasn't stirring my koolaid. So after that I thought "What about a cell?" So I started looking at the sizes available from RCI. They have a 16g tank which puts me at the factory SWB size. They also have a deeper 22g tank that would get me a little more distance. Dimensions are perfect between the rails, and the brackets are easy as pie to make. Plus, plumbing them with a nice hard line is as simple as it gets. We have a winner... Curious, I searched "fuel cell" on here, and found some folks who have done this very install. needless to say, I'm more then encouraged...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4537806

-----------------------------------------

Got the steering arm on. I took a file to the threads to knock down the fudged part. Ideal? No... Work? Yep. Stuck the arm on, and cleaned the washers to stick on. Tightened them down by hitting the arm, then tightening some. repeat until tight. Now I have a factory steering arm to use as a door stop, or something...

While I was at it I grabbed the link to check the size of the tie rods to order boots. Ran into a problem. The longer of the two tie rods is worn out. :dohh: So I looked up the part number. I believe it is a ES2026R. If anyone would like to confirm, or correct this I'd be appreciative.

------------------------------------------------

Got the tie rod, and a pair of red dust boots on order! The tie rod is a NOS military surplus part, and the boots are from Energy Suspension. The part number is 9.13119R. That is the biggest one they had so I'm hoping it'll work. If it does, I'm going to order two more for the rest of the tie rods.

------------------------------------------------

Ah, fudge!

Well, I knew the Dana 44 I have had a steering stabilizer on it. So I thought I'd pull it off and see if it was any good. It was not. It suffered from the ever common shock boot death. Very sad... On the bright side I have some pictures to show when I tell people not to use shock boots.

So sad...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Dude I'd love to get my hands on that engine. I'm playing with a VG30DETT from an old nissan fairlady I broke up for parts but I prefer nice big mechanical lumps from trucks and 4x4s to the complicated sports car ones all covered in wires and sensors :p

Shame you're in the wrong country or I'd already be on my way over to lend a hand haha

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Dude I'd love to get my hands on that engine. I'm playing with a VG30DETT from an old nissan fairlady I broke up for parts but I prefer nice big mechanical lumps from trucks and 4x4s to the complicated sports car ones all covered in wires and sensors :p

Shame you're in the wrong country or I'd already be on my way over to lend a hand haha
    I know plenty of Maxima guys that'd kill for that TT you have! The VG engines are little tanks.

Haha, thanks for the offer! If you ever cross the pond you'll have to stop by to take a look at the old girl. Hopefully by then it will be running...

Cleaned up, and installed the intake. Although I think I'm going to pull it back off tomorrow. Couple things I want to change, but ran out of time. So tomorrow I'm gonna do that, then clean the Holley up, and maybe try and line up the dizzy.

The Intake/Carb. It's a Weiand #7508 single plane, and a Holley Double Pumper.

Carb unbolted.

After a bath in the wash up tank.

Vroom! Vroom!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    I know plenty of Maxima guys that'd kill for that TT you have! The VG engines are little tanks.
    Bah you're a lucky boy, you have all the stuff I want! I'm itching for a component bath to clean off all my oily bits before I start rebuilding my engine as it was suspected of overheating.

I had (have actually but need to sell) a '93 fairlady with a non-turbo in it and I love it but no cash for the girl right now The idea was to rebuild this TT and really run with some nice components on it (overclock it if you will lol)

If you know anyone who wants a custom made engine though let me know as it's down to the key components right now and I'd love to get it rebuild and shipped out to someone who can use it. Likely to be years before I can realise that dream now and in the meantime I'm gagging for cash!!!

I'm jealous of your tools, your truck and your nice clean engine now. Smelly America with all your extra space everywhere lol I don't even have off-road parking

Looks like your staying busy with this project. It's a LOT of work going through a whole truck! Good job.

I will give you a small piece of info that may help you -
    If you want some low end torque you may want to switch the manifold for a dual plane. The manifold you have is a great one but it's made to work at a higher RPM. It may not have much power if you plan on punching it form a dead stop.
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Bah you're a lucky boy, you have all the stuff I want! I'm itching for a component bath to clean off all my oily bits before I start rebuilding my engine as it was suspected of overheating.

I had (have actually but need to sell) a '93 fairlady with a non-turbo in it and I love it but no cash for the girl right now The idea was to rebuild this TT and really run with some nice components on it (overclock it if you will lol)

If you know anyone who wants a custom made engine though let me know as it's down to the key components right now and I'd love to get it rebuild and shipped out to someone who can use it. Likely to be years before I can realise that dream now and in the meantime I'm gagging for cash!!!

I'm jealous of your tools, your truck and your nice clean engine now. Smelly America with all your extra space everywhere lol I don't even have off-road parking
    The wash up tank is handy, but I'm no stranger to being hunched over on a stool with a bucket of diesel fuel and a wire brush. Whatever it takes!

Not sure how hard they are to find, but have you considered trying to find something like a Nissan Pathfinder? That TT will fit nicey in it and be a mean all around vehicle. Obviously when the money is there. I know exactly how you feel..

Eh, can't say I know anyone who would want to pay that shipping bill to the states.

Smelly? Where do you think I live? New Jersey?! Lol, "off-road parking." That's my drive way.

Quote Originally Posted by BS Mods View Post
    Looks like your staying busy with this project. It's a LOT of work going through a whole truck! Good job.

I will give you a small piece of info that may help you -
    If you want some low end torque you may want to switch the manifold for a dual plane. The manifold you have is a great one but it's made to work at a higher RPM. It may not have much power if you plan on punching it form a dead stop.
    Takes time, no doubt. What really set me back the most is waiting on the diesel. If I would have just buttoned up the gasser back when I was first diesel hunting I'd be further ahead. but, no ones fault but my own. Thanks for the kudos!

Thanks for the heads up, I already knew about the single plane, but it is still good information to post. I went with the single plane simply because I had it. All my saved intakes are from stockers, or drag engines. I have a Holley Strip Dom, Torker, and the Weiand 7508. I went with the Weiand simply because it was the best of the bunch. If I end up keeping the engine in the truck for a extended period of time I'll most likely pull it for either a Air Gap, or something like a Weiand Stealth. Do a cam swap while I'm at it. The cam that is in it now is a factory .390/.410. Haha.

Update-

MAIL!!!!

New tie rod.

Dust boots.

I pulled the intake back off. For the sake of maybe helping someone else not pull a stupid like I did I'll tell why I pulled it back off. I didn't put RTV around the water jackets...

Back on... Also got the main pulley cleaned up, and installed.

Later I have a couple thermostats I dug out the spares pile to test. I have a 160, and a 180. Hoping the 160 is good. If so, that is going on.

Also, I have a radio I need to test. I have a factory CD player from a new Silverado I've been saving. I'm gonna test it and see if it'll work without the computer BS. If it will, then I might mount the giant thing in my truck. Freaking thing is like 2.5 din...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Well, I didn't get everything I wanted done today, oh well.

Tested the thermostat. Checked out good. Messy stove not required, just recommended.

The parts.

Installed. Well... Damn.

Fuel pump installed.

Chasing the threads for the accessories.

Drive side bracket installed, passenger mocked up.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Need a different housing...

Got the pedal-tunnel-thing in the truck and drilled the two holes I needed in it. Now I need to grind off the old studs that are spot welded in.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Been cleaning today, but have gotten a couple minutes to swap out the tie rod.

First I measured a common point on the tie rod (Center of the grease zirk) to the edge of the turn-buckle. Which believe it or not was exactly 6.5".

So after I knew that I put the old tie rod in the vice and loosened the clamps. Then took a flat blade driver to break the tube free. Using a chain wrench I spun the clamp off. Even the weight of a freaking firetruck brake drum I was moving the vice all over the place... Looked like I was dancing with it.

Got it though. Then the new one went on, set, and locked down.

Through some flat black on it. Gonna get Hammered paint when on the truck. Just didn't want to worry about rust...

PRETTY!!!!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Been cleaning all day, haven't had time for the truck. I looked out the window at the sun setting, and said screw it. Walked outside and put the link on! Got the steering arm coated in a bit of black, and stuck it on. The new rod tightened fine, but the back one just spun. So I just have to take a board a put pressure on the link and tighten it. That will have to happen later though.

The boots fit good. After getting crushed down they take a shape more like the factory and fit good. Hoping they hold up. I'll have to do a review later.

Also I priced the parts to do the rear brakes. $10 a piece for cylinders, and $20 for shoes.
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10