Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Default Re: 1986 Chevy Silverado Shortbed Build-Up (Lots of 800x600 pictures)

Truck is coming along nicely man.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Thanks!

No updates... Been cold, wet, and I've been busy... Couple cool things I thought I'd share.

Hanging out on my favorite Chebby site some guys found a nice replacement for the stock junk dash speakers that are tiny little turds... Made by Infinity they are 3.5" speakers. Talking to some people who have used them they say they are great for what they are. I asked if they get muddy if they get EQ'd, and the answer was a pleasing "nope." So it seems I'm gonna run Infinity in the front, and Polk in the rear!
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...=US&Region=USA

Found the shocks I'm gonna use. Found out that stock Ford F350 shocks are perfect for a 4" lift K10. Go figure... I can get them for $22 a piece!

Thinking about my headlights. Considering some of them fancy black looking projector housings, with H4 4000K bulbs (White), and running a pair of relays to power them. Not interested in adding the HID junk. Anything is better then factory... The relays are because even with factory bulbs you lose power through the switch, and wiring from the factory. So I'm going to just use the switch to power relays up front. Save some hassle.

Also considering a cam swap. got my eye on a Lunati Voodoo 268. Never used Luntai, but the last few years it is all I hear about. And looking at the grind I think I can see why. My Dad is trying to get me to go with a Comp Cams Magnum 305. The same cam he used in his K10 350. It was a mean cam, but not sure if its what I want.
    http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2325&gid=297

Hoping early next week to get all the loose ends wrapped up I've been wanting to do. Going to be in the upper 50's all next week.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Few updates.

Text update.

Been busy working, but fiddled with the truck a bit. Was able to get the steering arm side tightened down. Ended up replacing the nut. So now I have steering!

Back to the engine next! Using a pair of factory valve covers. Found a PCV in the spares. Need to dig up a fill cap, and drill the other valve cover out for the breather I have.

Still need to drill the head to mount the alternator bracket...And clean the alternator bracket... I have no idea where the mounting bolts went to for it, so I'm going to have to get a couple.

Then I need to unbolt the engine from the stand. Got to get a pilot bushing, and pop that in. Also need to get some flywheel bolts. All the ones I have are shorter flex plate bolts... Past that the flywheel needs to be hit with a scotchbrite wheel, and then it is ready to go together. I dug out the pressure plates, and discs I have. I have a brand new 11" pressure plate and disc, and a 12" pressure plate/disc that is probably about 75% left. Think I'm going to use the 12", but it is good to know I have a good back up as well. Then I gotta bell housing that needs degreased...

Got a lead on a 16g factory tank for zero dollars. So if that is the case, the cell might be ditched.

Got a yota that needs a o2 sensor and tires this week, after that my truck should be going in the shop for a engine install. After this the front clip is going on.
    Hello all! Isn't it a beautiful day in the neighborhood? Over 80* today! Got quite a few things done! In between working on my junk, I was out with the battery charger jump starting some junk to move around. Was quite fun.

My main reason was I wanted to wrap up some loose ends on my engine. That means tapping some holes, replacing a water neck, and getting a pilot bushing. I also wanted to clean my bell housing.

Now first I started with drilling, and tapping the head. Found the tap, and the drill.First I realized my drill bit is to short to fit through the bracket. Crap... WAIT!!! I have a bracket from a '91 'burban that might work. So I dug that out and it was perfect! So I bolted that on and used it to mark the spot with the drill.

Marked.

I measured the depth of the hole on the other side, and used tape to mark the drill.

Done! Well, sorta. What you don't see is that I drilled into the water jacket... Guess the casting right there is thinner... After drilling the hole I used a larger bit to make the tap start easier. Then just tapped it using a 3/8"-16 tap.

Since I'm using a late model water pump, I had to drill and tap one of the ports. Sadly, a 1/8NPT tap was just slightly too small. So I had to drill it out, and use a 1/4NPT tap. No biggy.

Started cleaning the bell housing. Found blue paint under the grease. fudge. So instead of cleaning it up to something I'd eat cereal out of, I'm going going to clean it to DD status.

DIE!!!

And my very cool Dad picked me up flywheel bolts, and a pilot bushing on his way home from work today.

Edit,

Forgot something. I crawled under the truck while having my Fiancee watching the tire while I spun the pinion. Stuff not 100% sure, but I'm thinkin' the front might already have 3.42 gears. If that is the case, then that means I don't have to change the front gears!
    Forgot to take a picture of the "Clean" bell housing. I use that word extremely loosely... But it is good enough that if I spring a leak I can tell.

Pulled the front cover. Turned out they were 3.08's. Bummer.
    Also, got a set of front bushings off ebay. Saved about $12. Was still more then I was hoping to pay. But you always have one A-hole jacking the price up...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Flywheel, and pressure plate cleaned up. Just knocked the junk off the flywheel face, and degunked the pressure plate. Then sat the pressure plate on top of the flywheel to cover the clutch contact areas, and coated them both with a rust treatment at the same time. Dug up some bolts, and washers for them as well. Only half dry in the picture if you are wondering...

I was also looking at the transmission figuring out how I am going to get it out from under the bench, and I saw a little pitcher. Grabbed it, and it had the tranny-bell housing bolts, flywheel-crank bolts, dust shield bolts, and flywheel pressure plate bolts. The key words here are flywheel-crank bolts... Guess I'll save the new ones...

One dust cover bolt is missing...

Part numbers for future reference...

"GM P/N'S 12453934, 14047045, 15521863, 15616191, 384024 & 3906680............AFTERMARKET P/N'S 04-518, 04-064 & 04-064A"
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

I got the 350 off the stand, and the 6.5 on today. Plus knocked in the pilot bushing, and was going to assemble the entire clutch assembly and bell housing but I couldn't find any loctite, so I just gave up...

Rolled out so I could clean my work area.

On the floor.

No longer on the floor...

Bushing in.

Bell housing mocked into place because I felt like it...

At my Dad's work they were junking this. Some little CNC wood lathe.

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

That looks a lot like what's on my stand (6.2 the price was right). Got the 350 for my Impala at my buddy's shop for a quick once over.

Nice score from the junk bin.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Yeah, the 6.5 is under the load of crap somewhere... Hoping to start tearing it down very soon. Gonna do everything I can to keep the block intact, and keep it from divorcing the head gaskets... Planning main studs, and a girdle for the bottom. Then cement the water jackets as high as I feel comfortable. Top it with head studs, and Felpro's. After that I plan to take some 1/4" steel plate, and make header flanges, and start making custom headers to mount a pair of twin turbos...

I have every intention to build a 6.5 that will beat the junk tuner yuppies that seem to be popular in my area...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Hoping to do two updates today.

Got the transmission drug out, and half cleaned up yesterday. Forgot to take a before picture. Ton of grease, none of it is from the transmission...

My Dad picked me up some shorty chrome valve covers yesterday!

And today my leaf spring bushings showed up! Won them on Ebay. The entire front set is there, and I think the others are the rears minus the shackles?

Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Well, I figured the transmission would work better bolted to the engine, so I did that. :uhmk: Hoping to drop the whole assembly in this weekend.

Together, and the engine mounts on. Also dug out the tranny crossmember, and the bushings for it.

gonna wait to put the new fancy valve covers on after the engine is in the truck. Don't want to scratch them up!
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

Update for today!

Truck in the shop...

Pulled the cover off the top of the master to drain the fluid that was stuck in it. I don't think it should look like that...

I took the motor mounts back off and painted them. Wasn't happy with the material chipped paint look...

After much hard ache the engine is in with the help of my Dad, and a friend of his, Shawn. The clam shell mounts put up a hell of a fight... I WILL be getting rid of those come time for the diesel...

Stuck the tranny mount in. Need to get a bushing.

Not pictured is I cleaned the threads for the bell crank ball-pivot-thing on the bell housing. Then installed the transfer case.

Dug through my Dad's drive shaft collection for the front, and rear. After getting burned on a front shaft for his K10 my Dad started to collect them... I lucked out and found a rear that would work with no mods!

Before de-rusting...

After de-rusting, and cleaning the surface I just just some gloss black on it.

The front is going to need a proper degreasing... All the oil, and grease on the front shaft I understand is from the vehicles built in anti-rust system... :lol:

Also looked at the bushings. I do believe they are the right ones. Wasn't sure if my lift springs were close enough to a Rancho to work...
    Current Projects
    -1981 Chevrolet K10