Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Score - fully working Xbox 360 for £12 (about $20)

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Default Score - fully working Xbox 360 for £12 (about $20)

I bought a dead xbox off of ebay for £10 the other day - listing specifically said something like "Been fixed 4 times - won't stay on for more than about 10 mins"

I actually bought it for the case, figuring I can mod THIS case, then transfer my xbox into it - so I don't have to be without the xbox while doing the modding - so as a donor of sorts.

I opened it up and stripped it down - there was a MASSIVE amount of TIM all over and around both the CPU and GPU and there are 4 chips around the GPU on the underside which I know need to be cooled which had no cooling on them at all.

I thought - I wonder.... maybe the 4 repairs it's already had were all done utterly incompetently....

So I went to it - dremmel attack on some old heatsinks I had lying around - MUCH more sensible application of TIM, and good clean out etc. Re-seated both heatsinks on the CPU and GPU using brand new x-clamp replacement kit (£2) - and it's been working 100% for about 2 1/2 hours now and the fan isn't changing pitch at all so I'm assuming it isn't getting hot. An hour of Dirt and 90mins of Gears of War 2 later, and it's still just fine n dandy

Got me an xbox for £12 and it works like a dream

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Re: Score - fully working Xbox 360 for £12 (about $20)

Wow! Now those are the stories we like to hear.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Oh I should mention that I DID take a dremel to the metal case to give the modified ram heatsinks room to fit - so been double modded heh.

And I already loaned it to a mate who has a dodgy elite - just ordered the parts I think I'll need to get that one working too... crossed fingers n stuff... If nothing else - he reckons his son will be on it for about 4 hours solid tonight as he's in withdrawl from his being fubar so it'll be a really good test for the "unfixable" one I think I just fixed....

You know.. this isn't the first time I have heard this same story. A friend of mine started buying 360's for the same reason you did. Four of them in all. Each time he bought a dead one, he said they were covered in TIM. Three of them, he cleaned them up, cleaned and reseated the heatsinks, and they work fine now. The 4th one he did similar to you, where he refitted a different heatsink and added an extra fan to the case and it seems to be holding up as well now.

So my question is.. were these factory repairs or somebody's home remedy?

In my case, I think both... The xbox has the uprated CPU and GPU heatsinks that MS fit as part of their RROD repair service. It had also had an x-clamp removal (badly) done which must have been after the MS repair because if before, MS would have refused to touch the machine. The seller on ebay was actually a shop which does used games and console repairs lol - I can only assume they aren't that good at what they claim to do, or the second alternative. I'm not as good as I think I am and it'll fall over n die shortly lol

They got any more? I might want one
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I'm tempted to call em up and ask them to let me know anytime they can't fix one *grin* but think that'd be a little cheeky :p

Hmmmmn ok....

I just got this email...

Dear slaveofconvention,

You are the winning buyer for the XBOX 360 CONSOLE PLAYS GAMES GRAND THEFT
    FAULTY 027. Thank you for your business.

Your payment for this item hasn't been received yet. If you haven't sent
    payment, please follow the instructions below.

Item title: XBOX 360 CONSOLE PLAYS GAMES GRAND THEFT FAULTY 027
    Web Address: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140343565799
    Item number: 140343565799
    I replied reminding them that I collected and paid cash - but I managed to resist the temptation to tell them I've already fixed it

EDIT: Just called the guy I loaned it to, and he said his son has played about 6 hours on it since I loaned it to him and it's still working fine - yay for me lol

Oh and I took this pic and totally forgot about it lol - THIS is how much TIM was on the GPU - and the CPU was just as bad....

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Hmmmmn ok....

I just got this email...

I replied reminding them that I collected and paid cash - but I managed to resist the temptation to tell them I've already fixed it

EDIT: Just called the guy I loaned it to, and he said his son has played about 6 hours on it since I loaned it to him and it's still working fine - yay for me lol

Oh and I took this pic and totally forgot about it lol - THIS is how much TIM was on the GPU - and the CPU was just as bad....

Wow, that's nasty. I've seen a lot of work done sloppily like that.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Hmmm, this makes me want to start combing ebay for dead 360's...kinda like I got the urge to do the same thing for LCDs a little while back...stupid start-up capital...

Sweet deal on that though; hurray for incompetents