Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSDN vs Technet

Default MSDN vs Technet

I was wondering which one to get for say 15-20 copies of windows 7. I cannot really find how many copies you get of each. I heard from a friend that Technet is 10 copies of Win7 Ultimate, Business, and Home Premium. Would that be correct? If so, that would be perfect for what I need.

Also how does the system work? Do the keys last indefinitely or only as long as your subscription?

Thanks

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: MSDN vs Technet

What are the licenses intended to be used for? IIRC, the licenses from both Technet and MSDN cannot be used in production environments. If that's what you need them for, you might want to look into becoming a Microsoft Partner, though that opens up a whole crapload of requirements you have to fill every year.

For Technet, the keys are only meant to last only as long as your Technet subscription. But in most cases, they don't ban/delete the keys and you can still use them.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Yeah, that's the same as with MSDN.

Well we need some way to get windows 7 for my computer class, so this is the only way I found. So that was the idea.

How will they be used and how long will they be needed? Is it needed for a specific part of the class (ie, will it be needed after the class concludes)? Is this something that will be an ongoing year-to-year need?

Well part of the class is that you can build computers, so it would be needed for those.

Would the students be keeping the computers that they build, or would everything remain school property and on school grounds? I assume none of the cases to be used have license stickers on them?

For the intended use, assuming the students don't keep the computers, it sounds like you would definitely fall under MSDN and Technet guidelines (ie, education/development). You might want to look into getting the school into the MSDNAA program. I don't know if High Schools can sign up for the Developer or Designer MSDNAA programs though. They do have a program for High Schools, but it doesn't include Windows; only Expression, SQL Server, and Visual Studio. If you're set on using Windows in the class, I would recommend contacting a sales rep from Microsoft; they can give you a better idea of what programs you're eligible for and how many licenses you can get through each.

Personally, I would recommend using Linux. It's free, and distros like Ubuntu and Mint are increasingly easy to set up and use.

No, its actually for taking home. That's where I was wondering, as I heard that that is unallowed. Thats my only idea for getting Windows 7 early though. As I only have a Win Vista HP Upgrade 32-bit, and I want 64-bit. Any other ideas? I know there is a program to get Win7 when it comes out with a purchase of vista. Its just the Vista HP costs 50 dollars more than the win7.

No, that would definitely be outside of the scope of any MSDN/Technet/etc licensing. For that, the students would have to each have an MSDN account, which is why I recommended looking into seeing if MS will let a High School (I'm assuming a High School, from the age in your profile) join either the Developer or Designer MSDN-AA programs; that way the students would have a legal license, at least for as long as they were students at that school.

When are the licenses needed? Windows 7 launch is on October 22nd, and going off the Vista timeline, if you wait a week or two after that, you should be able to find bulk OEM license packs on NewEgg and the like.

Alternatively, you can always run 7 for 30 days without a license key (180 if you trick the timer), so that might be an option. It would at least give them a working OS for a while. If you use the RTM, they might even be able to just put in a license later without reinstalling (not sure on that though).

/Reiterates shameless Linux plug